Not getting full speeds from TP-Link Archer T9UH

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-23 22:45:14
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

My House is Gigabit Wired Ethernet. My Asus RT-N66U Router is two floors below me and so its 5ghz signal is fairly weak in my bedroom (80mbps). While my Bedroom PC is wired Gigabit Ethernet and I've had no need for WIFI in this room other than for my Samsung Note 4, I recently purchased an Oculus GO VR Headset for Virtual Cinema and want to Stream Video over WIFI to it. 

I purchased a TP-Link Archer T9UH Dual Band USB Adapter to use as a WIFI Hotspot and share the gigabit ethernet wired Bedroom PC's internet. Windows 10 Mobile Hotspot setup was successful. Archer T9UH only 2meters away from Oculus Go and Note 4 phone with nothing in between. However, despite reporting Excellent and Very Strong signals they wer only connecting over 2.4ghz and the speed the Oculus GO and Note 4 were connecting to it was no faster than it was connecting to the Asus Router two floors below. I was able to go into device manager and the advanced properties of the Archer adapter and switch it to AC only which seemed to disable 2.4ghz and enable 5ghz. The Oculus GO and my Note 4 indicated they were now connecting via 5ghz. However the negotiated speeds were still a disappointing 177mbps on 5GHZ. I know there was no interference from my Asus router two floors below because I had already disabled its 5ghz radio.

I reintstalled the TP-Link drivers and rebooted the computer. Now my Oculus GO and Note 4 phone were negotiating at 400mbps. Still far short of the 1300mbps theoretical maximum. I do not expect to achieve those speeds even in ideal conditions but I have seen other Oculus GO users report 5GHZ negotiated speeds of 850mbps so I know 400mbps I am getting is not a limitation of the Oculus Go.

WIFI Analyser on my Android phone tells me I have a great signal to noise ratio. However, there is a neighbours 5ghz network only a couple of channel slots over so I would like to be able to change the channel my Archer T9UH in hotspot mode broadcasts at to move it further away. I would also like to ensure that the adapter is using the 40mhz mode instead of the 20mhz mode. After googling I can only find instructions for changing those settings on Archer Routers configuration pages but the Archer T9UH adapter doesn't have one as far as I know. I have gone through all the adapter properties and configuration sections/tabs and can find nowhere to change these settings. I downloaded the TP-Link Wireless configuration Ultility but it can't see my Archer T9UH for some reason.

TLDR: Can someone tell me how to change the Channel and 20/40mhz settings on my Archer T9UH USB Adapter in Hotspot Mode?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Not getting full speeds from TP-Link Archer T9UH
2019-07-25 10:58:01

@Calibos 

Sorry to tell you the TP-link configuration utility does not support Windows 10 anymore cause it has the built-in utility.

Meanwhile, there is no option to change the wireless settings of the Archer T9UH when it is hotspot mode.

Instead, you can use a 3rd party programme on your computer to broadcast wireless network to do a comparison analysis.

Besides, with the growth of wireless negotiation speed, what about the actual wireless speed you can get from the Archer T9UH? 

Options
Re:Re:Not getting full speeds from TP-Link Archer T9UH
2019-08-03 20:00:48

Kevin_Z wrote

@Calibos 

Sorry to tell you the TP-link configuration utility does not support Windows 10 anymore cause it has the built-in utility.

Meanwhile, there is no option to change the wireless settings of the Archer T9UH when it is hotspot mode.

Instead, you can use a 3rd party programme on your computer to broadcast wireless network to do a comparison analysis.

Besides, with the growth of wireless negotiation speed, what about the actual wireless speed you can get from the Archer T9UH? 

What do you mean about a comparison analysis?

Its negotiating at 400mbits. Turns out that this is more than enough for my streaming needs. What I thought was not enough bandwidth was actually an issue with one of the programs I was using to stream with. Using another program to stream I was getting smooth playback on the wireless device once my regular router was negotiating 120mbits or above. The only issue remaining for my router two floors below being unreliable negotiation speeds and random inteferance. 

So the T9UH at 400mbits over 5ghz from the wired networked PC in the same room as my Oculus GO VR Headset will actually do exactly what I need it to do................if I can solve one final problem. Despite me using Windows 10 to share this computers internet connection via the T9UH mobile hotspot, the app on the Oculus Go can not detect its partner streaming app on the PC when connected via the Hotspot and the T9UH but instantly detects it when connected to that very same PC via the main House Routers Wifi connection. Says the PC must be on the same network. So while the T9UH is sharing that PC's internet connection, to the app its not on the same network?

I'm guessing its some kind of IP or DHCP issue. Can you advise in that regard or is that something I'd need to ask on the support forum of the streaming/vr app in question/

Options
Re:Re:Re:Not getting full speeds from TP-Link Archer T9UH
2019-08-04 00:25:54 - last edited 2019-08-04 00:27:01

Scratch that I solved it.

I was able to resolve my Oculus GO's internet connection issues when connecting to the PC via the T9UH by running the Network and Gateway Troubleshooter in Windows 10 which undid whatever settings I had managed to screw up in my attempts to solve the other problem. The other problem where a desktop client app on the PC couldn't see/discover its partner Oculus Go app turns out to have been a Firewall issue. Specifically, the program was granted access through the Firewall for 'Private' Networks which is my routers home network but isn't by default granted access for 'Public' Networks. I'd seen this unticked option when checking if the Firewall was the issue a few days ago but because it said 'Public Networks like Airports etc', I thought it didn't apply to me or my particular problem. Turns out Windows 10 considers my Wifi Hotspot from this PC as a 'Public Network'. As soon as I ticked that 'Public Network' box, Boom, the streaming client and GO app saw/discovered each other.

So everything is now working how I wanted for the most part. 400mbit it turns out is more than enough bandwidth for my use cases. It just bugs my OCD a little that I can't get 1300mbits out of the T9UH in hotspot mode.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Not getting full speeds from TP-Link Archer T9UH
2019-08-05 09:06:44

@Calibos 

Thanks for your reply, and glad to hear that you figured it out finally.

It helps who have the same issue. 

Thanks for your sharing again.

Have a nice day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5728

Replies: 4