Archer T6E does not support BT Smart Hub Dual-band network?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-25 00:44:17 - last edited 2019-07-25 00:48:32
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello. I have recently purchased and installed the TP-LINK Archer T6E Wireless Adaptor for a new desktop PC. However, after testing the speed of the connection, I have noticed that it was only 40mbps Download and 10Mbps Upload. This was strange because all other devices in the home were considerably faster than that: (70 Down, 20 Up). After some time trying to find the utility tool, I have noticed that the network type was 802.11n, which apparently supports both 5ghz and 2.5ghz frequencies. Which made me think that it was my options. I have practically tried every single option in the device manager properties tab to try to make my network be 5GHZ but to no avail. I have contacted BT and they told me that their "smart hub" technology uses the same SSID or network name for both frequencies and that devices automatically switch between them in something called "dual-band". I am not a professional by any means but it seems to me like the adaptor simply does not support this "dual-band" thing. I had to manually create two different SSIDs for my router; one with 2.5Ghz and the other with 5ghz. Only then could I connect to the 5GHZ one and actually have very fast speeds. The utility software now says that the connection type is 802.11ac. However, folks in my home have quickly found out that their connections are slow now because all the other devices are connected to the 2.5GHZ SSID. So they are all suffering low speeds because the PC cannot do what the rest of the devices at home seem to be able to do naturally. I have tried to manually connect the devices in my home to the 5ghz frequency but my husband and kids simply want me to fix the PC. 

TL:DR: PC seems to only connect to the 2.5Ghz frequency of the dual-band router. Device manager properties did not seem to change anything. Driver utility tool states that the network type is 802.11n but only connects to the 2.5F and I cannot get it to change. 

Now that is all. My question is: How do I -- if possible -- configure the Archer T6E to be able to connect to the dual-band network and have the 5ghz on by default. The PC is quite far from the router but it can definitely connect to it. I can either connect to the dual-band and have the connection type to be 802.11n with slow speeds at 2.5Ghz or manually create a separate SSID for 5Ghz and have the connection be 802.11ac with 5ghz, which isn't fabourable for my family.

-----------

Thank you for reading. I know it was quite long but I have been struggling with this issue for weeks now. 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Archer T6E does not support BT Smart Hub Dual-band network?
2019-07-25 10:52:41

@N.Wilson 

You can change the preferable frequency to 802.11ac and give it a go.

Note: Go to device manager-network adpater, right click it and go to properties and choose advance, select the perferable frequency as 802.11ac.

If still the same, you can block the 802.11b/g/n to have a try. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 943

Replies: 1