Block unknown devices on Deco M9 - user changes MAC address to fool parental controls

Block unknown devices on Deco M9 - user changes MAC address to fool parental controls

127 Reply
Re:Block unknown devices on Deco M9 - user changes MAC address to fool parental controls
2021-01-10 05:16:10

@Laggetjeuh 

I am also waiting... I really love the Deco but I might have to start looking for a different solution if this isn't resolved.

Options
Re:Block unknown devices on Deco M9 - user changes MAC address to fool parental controls
2021-01-22 18:01:09

@7dwergen we need this too!!!

Options
2021-01-22 18:01:38
This is a great idea!!!
Options
2021-01-25 23:19:34

@7dwergen 

It is just too simple to pass around parental controls.

Please fix this tp-link, we really need it...

Options
2021-02-02 22:19:45

@7dwergen  another vote for this feature. Just came here to check on why this was happening and realized my kid is getting smarter. Anyway around or should basically return my Deco 

Options
2021-02-02 22:22:58 - last edited 2021-02-02 22:31:05

@Rajupriya 

Deco M9 V2 firmware 1.5.0: Added support for whitelist under Malicious Content Filters of Antivirus.

Released for Europe already. Not yet for North America, but hopefully soon.

Options
2021-02-02 23:40:24

@Alexandre. 

The malicious content filter whitelist feature you mentioned is for exempting websites from content filtering. It would only be useful if the antivirus feature blocked a site users expect to function.

It is totally unrelated to the request on this thread for clear listing MAC addresses.

deco users would like the ability to deny access to the internet by default, allowing access only if a MAC address has been cleared or approved

Currently we can only block known MAC addresses ( rather than unknown ones ).

This means we do not have the ability to block unknown devices, and we cannot use parental controls for operating systems that support MAC privacy ( enabled by default on iPhone or iPad ).

To reiterate -- every iPhone or iPad automatically circumvents parental controls by default. This can only be fixed with a MAC whitelisting 

Options
2021-02-03 01:04:16

@Alexandre. 

Sorry I am confused. I was basically looking for ability to control devices of my kids by simply blocking access at specific hours. At the moment, the dynamic MAC address is preventing this from happening. So parental control is a complete failure to me

Options
2021-04-01 02:04:48

I would also like to see this feature added. Shame the original request was so long ago and no feedback has been given. Parental controls on my Deco system are now useless due to a smart ar*e kid too!

Options
[Troubleshooting] Block unknown devices on Deco M9-Solution
2021-04-06 09:07:18 - last edited 2021-12-23 04:48:14

@Pringlelfc 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

The 'unknown' device mostly means there is no hostname for this device or a basic MAC lookup hasn't identified a manufacturer.

Based on the feedback we have received, most of them are related to the Private addresses which hide the real MAC address of your device, very common for Apple devices due to security updates. 

There are some suggestions for you:

1. On the Deco APP>three lines on the top>Deco lab>Wi-Fi assistant>MAC Loop UP Or https://maclookup.app/search/ 

It will help you find the manufacturer of this device then you could check around to locate this device and rename it: How to change the name of the client on the Deco app?

2. But if unfortunately, no assignment is found for this MAC and no suspicious device could be located. Please block this device first via Deco APP>More>Blacklist.

3. Since all the troubles started with Private address, you could also consider turning off private address,

For IOS devices: Setting -> WLAN -> tap on the blue info icon at the left of the deco Wi-Fi name -> disable the Private Address feature.

For Android devices: Settings app -> Network and Internet -> WiFi ->Connect to deco Wi-Fi -> Tap the gear icon next to the current Wi-Fi connection -> Advanced ->  Privacy -> "Use device MAC"

For Windows 10 devices: Setting -> Network and Internet -> "WiFi" tab -> "Advanced Options." -> "Off" under "Random Hardware Address."  -> Restart your computer.

Also, we have been trying to push the R&D department to consider adding the MAC filtering (Whitelist &Blacklist) on the Deco but this feature requires a comprehensive evaluation.

So if you also request this feature, please don’t hesitate and send feedback with your actual reasons for it via Deco APP>Overview>three lines on the top>help>contact us>suggestion.

Thank you very much for all your attention and support.

Recommended Solution
Options