New modem router wont accept Sky username and password

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-03 08:28:49
Model: Archer VR2800  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Just purchased an Archer VR2800 to replace a Archer D50 which keeps dropping out  and we have to change from 2.4 to 5 all the time. Anyway went through the set up for the Archer VR2800 got to the end of the process and it comes up with a message saying that the ISP username and password are wrong, im with Sky so i just entered the usual username (admin) and password (sky) and ive contacted Sky who have said they havent changed their access codes so i should be able to get on.

i used the same details when i set the the Archer D50 and that was a breeze, that was the reason for going with Tp link as it is compatible with the Sky set up. Ive tried the tp link online help but it takes me so long to type something it times me out or theyre only allowed to chat to people for a certain length of time, so far they have been no help. Question if i was to connect the VR2800 to the D50 would Tp link be able to dial in and have a look at the router?

Options
7 Reply
Re:New modem router wont accept Sky username and password
2019-08-03 22:26:54

You don't need to input the 'correct' sky username and password as that is only needed for your media accounts (tv/phone etc).  Your sky details for the broadband connection are in another form completely and are sent internally within the hardware.  You used to be required to 'sniff' the username/password with an application such as wireshark from the equipment that was supplied by sky however, there is no need for this now...

For the username and password, use the following and then wait 5-10 mins for the connection to establish;

username:   abcdefgh@skydsl

password:    1234567890abcdef

Also, ensure you're using ' Sky(MER)_VDSL' from the ISP list.

Options
2019-08-06 08:22:10

@Mickyd59 

What is the led status of the Archer VR2800? 

What is the current WAN IP and gateway of VR2800? Please show us a screenshot of the status page.

Meanwhile, if the ISP is sky, you can choose SKY_mer_vdsl to configure it. 

Any updates, please let us know. 

Nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:New modem router wont accept Sky username and password
2019-08-06 12:51:54

All the led's are lit and the Wan poppa_0_38_0_d

Options
2019-08-06 13:06:59
It doesn't give me the option of Sky(MER)_VDSL in the ISP list, it does give me SkyBroadband(BSKYB)_ADSL
Options
2019-08-06 13:46:52
Connected😀 but the upload and download speeds are terrible and it won't connect to 2.4GHz
Options
2019-08-07 02:23:21

@Mickyd59 

Thanks for your reply. So you have setup the Archer VR2800 but the current speed is slow, right? 

We can do some further troubleshooting on the slow speed issue and try to fix it. 

What is the bandwidth you paid for your ISP? And what is the actual speed you can get from the Archer VR2800 directly by wired cable? 

Please login to the web UI of the Archer VR2800 and take a full snapshot of the advanced-status page. 

Besides, you can try to customize some wireless settings to optimize the wireless performance. Like the wireless channel and channel width.

Best regards. 

Options
2020-06-09 10:57:33

@Mickyd59 

Hi 

I am using Skyfiber from BSkyB and honestly I don't have knowledge on theses things, every time I need any guide I just google it and follow instructions.

My sky hub router is not strong enough so after googling few thing I found out X6 is one of the best router so few week back I bought Netgear Nighthawk X6 for performance to use it as an main router and sky hub as an modem or so!

And then when I started setting up things everything was upside down and then I found out my Sky Hub don't support any third party routers so after another googling session I found that TP Link ADSL/VDSL router are compatable and many people also mentioned it's is simple plug and play, if not use Wireshark to extract ID/PW to use it, so bought TP-VR2800 2days ago and followed instructions 

1. Plug and play didn't work

2. Wireshark didn't work

now I have spent £££'s on routers and don't know wot to do, a detail guide is much appreciated and apologise in advance for inconvenience, 

Mickyd59 wrote

Connected😀 but the upload and download speeds are terrible and it won't connect to 2.4GHz

I need a book that says Skyhub/TP-Link for Dummies.

Regards,

Prash

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3015

Replies: 7