Management of router over VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-03 18:09:04 - last edited 2019-08-05 02:30:01
Model: Archer VR400  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 0.2.0 0.9.1 v0070.0 Build 170719 Rel.63031n

Hi all, 

I have setup VPN on my router, both Open VPN & PPTP.  When I use either connection and go to the IP of tthe router to config it it states that it is forbidden.  Is this becuase I am not on the local lan?  Do I need to enable Remote Management?  There is no way I want people anywhere in the world to use my public IP to config my router, so do not want it that way.  I only want to manage it in my local LAN or when I VPN in.  Is this possible?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Management of router over VPN
2019-08-05 06:21:54

@AlanWooler 

Please enable remote management and then with remote device connected to the VPN from the VR600, please verify whether you can access the web UI.

Besides, you can use the public WAN IP to access it remotely. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Management of router over VPN
2019-08-06 19:24:54

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the information.  I did enable the Remote Management, which did work. I was not happy with doing this as this would then open it to the world to try and hack my router since it was now public.

I did work out a patch though in the end.  My Modem is told to forward all UDP and TCP ports to 192.168.1.2 which is my VR400 router.  I added an extra rule telling it to block all inbound traffic on port 80 TCP.  This then blocks all public traffic, but since Remote Management is enabled, it will allow my VPN users to be able to manage it.

Is there any way to pass onto the developers the idea of putting in a tick box that states 'Allow management of router by VPN users' so that people can manage the router while on VPN, but not haveing to have it public for the world of hackers to also have the ability to try and manage it.

Kind regards

Alan

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 964

Replies: 2

Related Articles