roaming not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

roaming not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
roaming not working
roaming not working
2019-08-05 21:43:40
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.3.1

Hi, just bought M5 3 pcs and connected it as follows:

- one M5 directly by cable to modem upstairs

- one M5 via wifi also upstairs about 6 meters from the first one with one wall between them

- one M5 downstairs directly beow the second M5

all three have green lights light up. I had some troubles by setting the other two M5s up, as the installer could not find them (even if I moved it next to each other, so I had to install using bluetooth.

But I am experiencing problems. I tried to measure wifi signal when installing the second M5, it was around 75% but after installing second M5, my mobile is showing only about 50% signal strenght just near the second M5.

The third M5 is even worse, as connection is very poor, I have only one bar on phone and wifi even keeps disconnecting. It seems like the phone is always conneced to the main first M5 upstairs and will not connect to the other two and even gets jammed by them. I tried everything, different phones, rebooting everything, turning on the Fast Roaming in Advanced section, even moving the other two M5s to different rooms, but no luck.

Please help, I am thinking of returning it back to shop, as my wifi is now even worse as it was before.

Thank you in advance

Options
6 Reply
Re:roaming not working
2019-08-06 07:35:52

@tyzer 

What is the current network diagram?

How do you connect the 3rd Deco to the network? By wired cable or wireless? 

What is the actual speed you can get from each other even though the signal strength varies a lot?

Since the firmware released, we can verify which Deco our devices have connected to, so near to the 3rd Deco, you can verify which Deco your smart phone has connected; 

What is the led status of the Deco M5 when it lost connection? Is there any error message on the Deco app? Like this Deco is offline? 

Besides, you can swap the locations of the Deco M5 to do a comparison test. 

Nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:roaming not working
2019-08-06 08:03:55

Hi,

3rd Deco is conected wirelessly, not by cable.

actually I am unable to connect any wifi device to the either of the two decos, each device is always conected to the first main one via wifi.

all decos lights are green and in app all three are connected and healt check says it is all ok. But I can not connect by any smartphone (huawei nova 3 or Samsung Galaxy A70) to any other deco even the main one. Even when I am near the third deco, I get only 1 or two bars at max, an when I put smartphone on top of the third deco, smartphone loses connection. I tried also with notebook to connect via wifi, but it also connected only to the main deco upstairs.

I will try to connect notebook via cable to the two decos and try to check if it is connected or no and send you update later. Also will draw picture of the layout.

Thanks.

Options
Re:Re:Re:roaming not working
2019-08-06 11:43:33

OK so I had a little time to do some more investigation:

I connected notebbok with cable to the second and third M5, and everything was running perfectly, youtube videos and everything was running ok.

but when i pulled cable from notebook and tried to connect via wifi, I got only one bar downstairs (third M5) and half bars second M5.

moreover I discovered that on notebook I see two hidden networks (probably each corresponding to the second and third M5 - judging from the signal strenght)

I also noticed in application that only main M5 is version 1.3.1, th other two are 1.1.6. But when I run Update deco from the app it says everything is up-to-date.

see layout:

please advise how to make it run so the devices will connect wirelessly also to the other two decos, not just the main one.

Thank you.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:roaming not working
2019-08-07 09:11:02

@tyzer 

First, it is suggested to update the other 2 slave Decos to the latest firmware. 

You can connect the slave Deco to the modem directly and change it to main Deco to update the firmware, or you can use the web UI to upgrade the firmware manually.

How to change slave Deco  to main Deco. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2400/ 

Then as you mentioned, with computer connected to the 2nd/3rd Deco by wired cable, the internet works perfectly, while once you switched to wifi, the device will connect to the main Deco even though you are near to the slave Decos; you can relocate the 2 slave Decos and move them further away from the main Deco; What we suspect is that the client device still get the signal from the main Deco which is not trigger the AP/band steering feature, therefore failed to connect to the slave Decos. 

You can give it a go first by upgrading the firmware and relocate them.

Any updates, please let us know.

Best regards. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:roaming not working
2019-08-07 19:34:22

Hi, 

I am pleased to say that everything is working fine now.

I connected second and third deco one after another to the modem, made it main deco and updated to the newest version. This however did not help.

I was getting quite desperate now, but I decided to reset each deco again and created new network with same layout again. Now everything works perfectly.

Thank you for your help. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:roaming not working
2019-08-08 09:39:21

@tyzer 

Thanks for your reply and effor to do the troubleshooting to fix it; and glad to hear that you made it; congratulations.

You can enjoy the internet with the Deco units now.

Any further problem, do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1466

Replies: 6

Related Articles