RE305 as access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

RE305 as access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
RE305 as access point
RE305 as access point
2019-08-06 16:44:23
Model: RE305  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: RE305(EU)_V3_190221

Hi there,

i have some strange behaviour if i switch RE305 to access point. Once RE305 reboots, it is no more possible to contact the gateway from workstation or wifi clients.

If back to extender mode, no more problem, the gateway will be reach again.

What's wrong? Perhaps, i do not understand something?

Many Thanks,

Antonio

Options
18 Reply
Re:RE305 as access point
2019-08-07 05:49:04

@SimarInf 

Do you mean you cannot access the web UI of the RE305 when it works as access point ?

If so, below are some instructions to login:

1. With computer connected to the RE305, please open a web browser and enter tplinkrepeater.net to login; you can disconnect the RE305 and the main router first to login.

2. Or please login to the web UI of the main router  to get the current IP address of the RE305, and use the IP to access the web UI of the extender. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:RE305 as access point
2019-08-07 14:09:50

@Kevin_Z 

Many thanks for your answer!

I'll try to better explain.

I have an ISP router, 192.168.1.1, with also Wifi AP.

If i configure RE305 as extender of ISP router WiFi, all is ok!

But two floor up, i prefer to setup RE305 as Access Point mode. So, from ISP router ui, i'll get RE305 IP, and then switch to Access Point Mode. As far as RE305 reboots, i'll lost the router, no ui, no ping 192.168.1.1. If i search RE305 IP, with Fast Resolver for example, i'll get to RE305 ui, but no more ISP router. It's very strange for me. Or is there something that i do not understand? From the manual, it seems very simple... switch to Access Point Mode, configure 2.4 and 5GHz, et voilà... well, it's true for RE305, but incredibly no more ping to ISP router!... and, obviously, no more internet as no more gateway...

Hope to explain well... if not, please ask me

Many thanks,

Antonio

Options
Re:Re:Re:RE305 as access point
2019-08-08 03:10:07

@SimarInf 

With 2 floors up, can you get internet with your computer connected to the main router directly by wired cable?

Please disconnect the main router and RE305 first, please reset the RE305 and configure it as an access point, instruction as below:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1401/

Once you changed it to access point mode, please connect it to the main router directly with ethernet cable and connect your client devices to the extender to verify whether you can access internet. Besides, please click here to check its IP address and default gateway. 

Still the same, you can assign a static IP for thr RE305 under settings-network page and upgrade the firmware to the latest one. 

May it work and have a nice day. 

Options
2019-10-14 19:40:31 - last edited 2019-10-14 19:44:14

@Kevin_Z 

Hi, I have the same problem !

RE305 in Access Point mode with standard configuration, block internet connection in all my network when connected to LAN.

Also when I assign a static  IP address for it.

Scenario:

Router Fibra Vodafone Station with WiFi disabled (192.168.1.1)

No. 3 NOVA MW3 as Wifi Mesh repeater (DHCP client)

No. 1 TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT with no.2 AV500 (DHCP client)

When I configure the RE305 as Access Point I cannot reach the Vodafone router and all clients stop to navigate on Internet.

The firmware is the latest one.

Does you know some incompatibilities with other extender?

Model: RE305(EU) Ver. 3.0 - firmware 1.0.1 Build 2019021 Rel 63495 (6985)

I found this post on Amazon Italia...

https://www.amazon.it/gp/customer-reviews/RP3R5IDN9KT7Q/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01MD1SKLL

Options
2019-10-15 05:47:28

@Ciruzzo 

Hello, could you please draw a picture of the current network diagram? How do you connect these devices together? 

After you changed the RE305 to access point mode, have you connected it to the internet source by wired cable? 

With computer connected to RE305, please click here to verify the IP and gateway obtained. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-10-15 06:24:38

@Kevin_Z 

The first Nova and the first TP-Link Powerline are connected via Lan to a port of Router via a switch. The other ones are wireless/power line. 

Meanwhile I disconnected all devices described from the Lan, leaving only the router Vodafone Station. Then I attached the RE305 directly to its Lan port and I had the same results: Vodafone Station unreachable. So I think there is an incompatibility between two devices.

I can reach the configuration of RE305 via web browser, but not Vodafone Station.

I followed the instructions you gave on the previous post. 

The IP assigned to my pc is compatible with the network (192.168.1.80 with gateway 192.168.1.1 - the router)

I'm thinking to give back to Amazon the device and to buy another Access Point. 
What do you suggest? Eventually which model? I need a simple Access Point and I brought RE305 for its dimensions
Options
2019-12-17 16:32:40 - last edited 2019-12-17 16:56:23

@SimarInf Dear 

I've the same issue and I'd want to know if you solved it (or not), just connecting the extender to the main router directly. 

I'm facing the same issue with my RE305 set as AP: if it's connected to the router directly it's almost working fine (almost becasue it looses the signal sometime), but If i try to use it through a TP-LINK powerline (several types actually),  It's not able to reach the router anymore. It seems it's not able to communicate with the router using a powerline (with the same brand, by the way). Does anybody else have experienced the same issue? if yes how does he handle it? Many thanks to whom will reply me.

Options
2020-01-09 11:56:41

Hi.

I've just signed up as I'm searching for an answer to a similar problem, hoping someone can please help :)

I'm having similar issues to the guys above, in Access Point Mode the RE305 will only work if connected directly to the main router and not via a switch.

My Setup:

• Main Router (Viirgin Hub 3) feeds two TP-Link TL-SG105 switches, both switches have various devices connected

If I have the RE305 in Access Point mode, and connected to either of the switches ,not only will it will not connect to the network but it also causes all other devices connected to that switch to be disconnected from the same network. Devices connected to the other switch or directly to the router are fine.

If I connect the RE305 directly to the main router all is well......however this is not an option to have it permanently connected in this way as the main router is at the front of the house and naturally I bought an extender to provide coverage at the rear :)

I have tried various approaches over the last two days including assigning fixed IP addresses and nothing seems to fix it.

Is there a limitation of this device that will only allow it to work when connected directly to the router and not via a switch or powerline?

If so - is there another Access Point that will work when connected via a switch?

Thanks for any help :)

Options
2020-01-10 08:43:05

@Ciruzzo @Dika2110 

Hello, what is the model number of switch and powerline adapters you have? 

When the RE305 stops working, please tell us the led status of it.

And please login to the web UI of the RE305 and take a full screenshot of the settings-status page. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-01-14 17:05:04

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks Kevin and forgive me for my late response. I was able to make some new test and here the results. Using the Extender mode it works fine as you can see here: 

Set it as Access Point it doesn't find the router and connect to the internet. WiFi is still working. Here the status:

On AP mode the led are as follows (with no signal at all):

Finally the device:

Finally I can confirm that attached to the router directly everything works properly also on AP mode.

Any help or suggestion will be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Options