Unstable internet connection with Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-13 09:02:16
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.3.1

Hi,

So I have started getting problems with my Deco M5 setup lately.

The setup has worked fine for a long time, and no changes have been made to the network, so I suspect it has something to do with the latest update.

The internet connection is very unstable, and the ping is mostly between 500-1000ms. Sporadiclly it will drop down to the usual 25ms.

Setup:

ISP Router > LRT224 Dual WAN router > Deco

If I connect to the LAN-port on either the ISP router, LRT224 or the Deco I get the same (bad) experience so it has nothing to do with the Wifi.

The strangest part is that when I disconnect the deco from the network, and connect to a LAN-port on either the router or LRT224 the connection is fine. 

Connecting the Deco directly to the ISP router has not helped, including when the Deco is running as an access point. I have also tried a hard-reset on all the devices, and even changed the main Deco unit. I have a 4G modem that sometimes is connected to the LRT224, and that seems to be more stable. 

So, based on my very limited knowledge, it seems to be an issue in the communication between the ISP router and the Deco. I have tried messing around with all the settings I can think of (fixed DHCP, IPv4/6 etc.) on both ends with no luck. I was planning on adding a couple og M9 units to the network, but now I'm afraid I have to change to another brand since the only option left that I can think of is that it's an firmware issue. Hopefully somebody here can help.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Unstable internet connection with Deco M5
2019-08-14 07:48:36

@Hammerfold 

What do you mean the network connection is unstable? Do devices lose network connection or the speed slows down rapidly? 

What is the current network topology and their IP subnet? Are their DHCP servers enabled or not?

Meanwhile, what is the led status of the Deco when the connection became unstable? Please check its internet IP and gateway of the Deco at that time. 

Have you ever setup static IP for the local devices yet? 

Besides, we suspect that there is an IP conflict which causes this unstable connection issue; it is suggested to connect one Deco to the ISP router directly without any devices connected to the ISP router; After that, please take some time to verify whether the Deco network works well.

Any updates, please let us know.

Good day. 

Options
2019-10-31 09:16:31 - last edited 2019-10-31 09:20:11

@Hammerfold 

@Kevin_Z 

I have the same problem. Started after the firmware update.

Firmware: 1.3.1 Build 20190617 Rel. 47476

All devices are affected, also the clients that are on cable.

The network gets really slow, some webpages shows up after a while but not with all pictures due to time outs.

The PC's says it still has internett, and the Deco light is still green.

All clients exept for my file server, print server (fixed IP are located outside the DHCP area) are on DHCP, so I do not see that this can be a IP-conflict.

A power recycle slowes the problem for a little while (everything from a minute to a day).

Options
2019-11-01 02:19:21

@Staal 

Plesae provide the info below so that we can do further analysis.

1. The current network diagram.

2. The ISP and whether you can get internet from the modem directly.

3. With computer connected to the main Deco by wired cable, please verify whether it can access internet, and click here to get the IP and gateway. 

4. Try to swap the locations among the Deco units and try to configure the slave Deco as the main one. Instruction is https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2400/ .

Any updates, please let us know. 

Options
2019-11-06 12:48:32

@Kevin_Z 

So I reset my main device, and then everything started working fine again.

However, lost all my config and that is not a good thing, and this is not the first time I had to do this.

Options
2019-11-08 08:07:24

@Staal 

Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear that it works well for now; while I understand that it is frustrated to reset it every time when it stops working.

If the issue happen again, you can follow the instruction mentioned on my last reply; switching slave Deco to main Deco won't reset the router; 

Besides, you can connect the main Deco to the modem only and verify whether the network connection is stable. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-05-21 08:27:31

@Kevin_Z 

I'm experiencing the same issue and have restarted all the devices several times but the issue reoccurs. I have been using my Deco mesh network for the better part of 1,5 years without ANY issues. I have checked with the internet provider and the connection is stable from them. When plugging in the Ethernet straight in to my Mac ithis is confirmed. What can I do?

Options
2021-01-16 04:42:15

@Maskem having the same issue with a Deco P9 setup. ISP internet is fine. Has been working for a year but now keeps refusing to provide outbound internet connection even though all units show connected. 

Rebooting it gives a connection for a while but then it drops out again. I am advising everyone I know not to buy tplink. This stuff is garbage. 

Options
2022-01-19 14:46:28

@Kevin_Z 

I have 2 Deco-M9 and 3 Deco-M5 installed across 3-level of my house and yet am encountering very unstable signal on Level 2.

I have a Deco-M9 designated as the main deco on level one, 1 Deco-M9 on the corridor of level two, 1 Deco-M5 in each bedroom on level two and 1 Deco-M5 on level three.

Despite having invested 3 decos on level two, the signals are sporadic and unstable.

Can you help advise how do I improve the signal strength on level two.

Thank you   

Options
2022-01-19 16:59:42 - last edited 2022-01-19 20:55:21

@Kim-deco 

I wish you would have started separate forum topic, but we can continue here.

With any WiFi mesh, such as Deco, an important part is proper placement of satellite nodes. We can start with that and specifically with Level 2 of your house. Please provide the following information:

1. How large is your house, sq.ft. per each of three levels;

2. Draw the placement of Deco nodes in your house. Find some picture of three storey house, and mark where your M5 and M9 are there. Does not have to be exact house layout, close enough is OK. What is of importance: is Main M9 in the middle of the level 1 floor or at one side of it, same question for Satellie M9 on level 2, what are locations of M5 on level 2 and level 3.

3. Open each M5 screen in Deco app and check its Signal Source. For each of M5, what is the quality of connection (blue or yellow or red bars, and how many) and to which Deco each M5 is connected. See example:

4. Please also do the same for Satellite Deco M9. Its signal source will be slightly different, and should look similar to this:

Options