TL-PA411 needs constant rebooting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-PA411 needs constant rebooting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
72 Reply
Re:TL-PA411 needs constant rebooting
2014-08-27 01:15:10
Also, I will post what Hannah from TP-Link technical support emailed me. Maybe others on here can try it out and see if there's a problem in common.

Please go to http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-PA4030&version=V1#tbl_b and install the Utility on your computer.
When the internet is working fine, please open the Utility on your computer, go to Network, then please send me the screenshot of this page?
When the internet connection drops, please open the Utility on your computer, go to Network, then please send me the screenshot of this page? And please tell me the second light on TL-PA4030KIT are on or off?
Options
2014-08-31 17:37:07

Ringoko wrote

Also, I will post what Hannah from TP-Link technical support emailed me. Maybe others on here can try it out and see if there's a problem in common.

Please go to http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-PA4030&version=V1#tbl_b and install the Utility on your computer.
When the internet is working fine, please open the Utility on your computer, go to Network, then please send me the screenshot of this page?
When the internet connection drops, please open the Utility on your computer, go to Network, then please send me the screenshot of this page? And please tell me the second light on TL-PA4030KIT are on or off?

I can tell you that with my pa411kit the network screen in the utility doesn't change at all. it reports about 200Mbps before, during and after.

the lights show nothing of interest either.
Options
2014-08-31 19:11:03
I have the TP-PA4010 Kit and it have the same thing. The connection seems to drop at random, I tried the pairing: doesn't work. Tried a differen brand (devolo) works fine. The devolo's are slow, so I want to use my TP variants.. but they keep dropping at random - VERY FRUSTRATING.

I also tried upgrading the firmware but it keeps saying: 500A-1.1.0.844-01-20120919-FINAL while the file I'm trying to flash clearly says: 2013. It doesnt change!
Options
Same
2014-08-31 19:14:59
I have the same problem, connection drop randomly!
TP-PA4010, a kit.

Works sometimes for a few hours, and sometimes drops mutiple times per hour.
Options
2014-08-31 21:27:19

MichielR wrote

I have the same problem, connection drop randomly!
TP-PA4010, a kit.

Works sometimes for a few hours, and sometimes drops mutiple times per hour.

I have exactly the same thing with my TL-PA411KIT. I also had it with the TLPA211Kit before. I was hoping when I upgraded from the AV200 to the AV500 it would resolve the issue but it hasn't, Sometimes I go days before I have the issue but then it happens a few times within a couple of hour window and then goes away.

I have tried to track down the reason including putting a "spike monitor" on my circuits and have never seen a spike when it happens. It's as if the PowerLine adapters just go out of sync, timeout and then start running again.

When I look at the utility I can't see any change either.

I wish TP-LINK would sort this out as it looks to be a common issue across a lot of their PowerLink adapters.

Regards
Options
Possible fix
2014-09-03 00:33:37
I've got two v1 PA411's which I use to run an internet connection to my PC in my shed (converted into an office).

I've been suffering the same problem everyone else is describing, intermittent dropouts which last from 5 seconds to 2 minutes. Really bloody annoying particularly if I'm working in Microsoft Access since it means I constantly have to close and reopen the program to restore ODBC connection.

I've noticed that if I'm downloading a file or playing an online game which has a constant flow of data (BF3 etc.) I get no drop outs whatsoever.

I'm currently running a continuous ping to my router to see if I get the same constant internet connection. Since I started the ping I've had no drop outs whatsoever. Definitely makes me think this is some sort of firmware bug.

To constantly ping your router open a CMD prompt and type ping -t 192.168.1.1 then minimise the CMD prompt and just let that run. Stable and fast internet since I started 3 hours ago with no dropouts yet. I'll see if I can report back after I've tested it for a few more days but thought I'd share now in case anyone else wants to test it out.

If the CMD window on your task bar annoys you (it did me) try this: http://rbtray.sourceforge.net/

It'll allow you to minimise it to the system tray.

Hope that helps!
Options
2014-09-05 07:03:06
I thought I should post an update - I have since bought a different brand of powerline adapters (BT Home Hotspot 500) and I have the exact same problem - lower internet speed than my other devices, and random internet dropouts.

I'd be interested to see the number of people with this problem who use Windows 8. There are a number of articles and forum posts round the web complaining of slow internet speed and dropouts running this OS.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/windows-8.1-wireless-networking-ipconfig,news-46692.html
Options
2014-09-06 03:22:43

Mike347 wrote

I've got two v1 PA411's which I use to run an internet connection to my PC in my shed (converted into an office).

I've been suffering the same problem everyone else is describing, intermittent dropouts which last from 5 seconds to 2 minutes. Really bloody annoying particularly if I'm working in Microsoft Access since it means I constantly have to close and reopen the program to restore ODBC connection.

I've noticed that if I'm downloading a file or playing an online game which has a constant flow of data (BF3 etc.) I get no drop outs whatsoever.

I'm currently running a continuous ping to my router to see if I get the same constant internet connection. Since I started the ping I've had no drop outs whatsoever. Definitely makes me think this is some sort of firmware bug.

To constantly ping your router open a CMD prompt and type ping -t 192.168.1.1 then minimise the CMD prompt and just let that run. Stable and fast internet since I started 3 hours ago with no dropouts yet. I'll see if I can report back after I've tested it for a few more days but thought I'd share now in case anyone else wants to test it out.

If the CMD window on your task bar annoys you (it did me) try this: http://rbtray.sourceforge.net/

It'll allow you to minimise it to the system tray.

Hope that helps!

I can confirm: pinging your router at it's gateway will keep the connection going. I use pingplotter to ping my router every 2,5 seconds, no dropouts ever since. So what does this tell us?
Perhaps the adapters fall asleep or go in some sort of idle mode if they are not streaming packets constantly. I'm not talking the sleep mode, like what happens when the computer is off, but something like an idle state that causes it to turn off?

So what could this be?
Options
2014-09-08 20:31:22

MichielR wrote

I can confirm: pinging your router at it's gateway will keep the connection going. I use pingplotter to ping my router every 2,5 seconds, no dropouts ever since. So what does this tell us?
Perhaps the adapters fall asleep or go in some sort of idle mode if they are not streaming packets constantly. I'm not talking the sleep mode, like what happens when the computer is off, but something like an idle state that causes it to turn off?

So what could this be?

Well it proves it's a firmware error. I get 0 drops if I run a constant ping.

It's not the greatest fix in the world but I hope it helps some people.
Options
2014-09-08 21:21:26
The pinging appears to have resolved this for me too. I was about to bin the things.

Is this something to do with power saving maybe, I'm very much of the assumption they're going into some kind of power save mode...
Options
Related Articles