TL-PA411 needs constant rebooting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-PA411 needs constant rebooting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
72 Reply
Re:TL-PA411 needs constant rebooting
2014-10-04 04:08:11
Same problem. I have four PA411 units in total:
1) router
2) Desktop PC
3 & 4) HTPCs in TV rooms

At least once a day and sometimes more often, the Desktop PC loses internet connectivity and cannot even ping the router. It stays down for about 2 mins.

During the dropout, the desktop PC can still ping the 2 HTPCs - it is directly pinging them homeplug-to-homeplug.

So I believe the problem is the homeplug connected to the router. It is going asleep or idle or something. Swapping homeplugs around so a physically different unit of PA411 is at the router makes no difference so it is not a single faulty unit. It is some inherent fault in firmware or hardware that causes it to drop connection.
Options
2014-10-04 19:05:43

starf wrote

Same problem. I have four PA411 units in total:
1) router
2) Desktop PC
3 & 4) HTPCs in TV rooms

At least once a day and sometimes more often, the Desktop PC loses internet connectivity and cannot even ping the router. It stays down for about 2 mins.

During the dropout, the desktop PC can still ping the 2 HTPCs - it is directly pinging them homeplug-to-homeplug.

So I believe the problem is the homeplug connected to the router. It is going asleep or idle or something. Swapping homeplugs around so a physically different unit of PA411 is at the router makes no difference so it is not a single faulty unit. It is some inherent fault in firmware or hardware that causes it to drop connection.

I am almost certain that the issue it to do with the timeouts that TP-LINK has configured in their PIB files now. I think that they are not long enough to cover the minor noise that sometimes happens on European wiring.

Running the ping (2.5 second) between one of my machines and the DSL router seems to have kept mine running so far.

Regards

Infinidim
Options
2014-10-10 17:23:08
I used the SwitchPowerSave tool to disable sleep mode on the PA411 that connects to my router. It seems to have reduced the problem - not eliminated it totally but the disconnects now happen less often.
Options
Will this TP-Link utility fix it?
2014-10-10 21:53:32
[After posting, I notice that starf has just mentioned it in the previous post]

I am currently also running constant pings to the router to prevent the problem. But this is an inconvenient kludge.

Has anyone tried this?
http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-PA511&version=V1#tbl_j
Switch Power Save Tool (Windows only)

A colleague tells me TP-Link support advised him use it to fix this issue. He has a TL-PA251. The download page says it's for TL-PA511 but apparently it worked. You use the Switch Power Save Tool utility to disable sleep on the device.

I'm hesitant to try it as I don't want to make matters worse. Anyone here want to give it a go?

(And why wouldn't TP-Link link to it in this thread? The download is half a year old.)
Options
2014-10-14 17:45:34
Hi guys, I'm having the exact same problem with no meaningful help from TP-Link. Intermittent dropping out is driving me nuts too, and I'm only using it for direct ethernet connection (not wireless) as my router is downstairs and my PC is upstairs.

I had the AV200 kit that worked perfectly until the smaller 'send' unit died (all lights went out, kaput!). So RicherSounds kindly replaced it for the latest AV500 TL-WPA4220Kit. And since then I've had intermittent drop outs. Thinking there might be a fault on the unit Richersounds even replaced the AV500 Kit with another - this one even had the latest software. Exactly the same - and actually if anything the replacement AV500 seems to be worse. Richer Sounds has a BT500 that they say I can swap it for (unsure if I will have to pay £20 difference, but I think these units are physically bigger).

I am trying the ping repeat idea posted - but as we all know, users shouldn't have to do that. Re turning sleep off in the units, how do I do that - I've installed the CD utility but can't see anything with sleep options?

Has anyone switched to the BT unit and is that working OK?

Thanks guys

Rich
Options
2014-10-16 20:50:14

Voxman wrote

Hi guys, I'm having the exact same problem with no meaningful help from TP-Link. Intermittent dropping out is driving me nuts too, and I'm only using it for direct ethernet connection (not wireless) as my router is downstairs and my PC is upstairs.

I had the AV200 kit that worked perfectly until the smaller 'send' unit died (all lights went out, kaput!). So RicherSounds kindly replaced it for the latest AV500 TL-WPA4220Kit. And since then I've had intermittent drop outs. Thinking there might be a fault on the unit Richersounds even replaced the AV500 Kit with another - this one even had the latest software. Exactly the same - and actually if anything the replacement AV500 seems to be worse. Richer Sounds has a BT500 that they say I can swap it for (unsure if I will have to pay £20 difference, but I think these units are physically bigger).

I am trying the ping repeat idea posted - but as we all know, users shouldn't have to do that. Re turning sleep off in the units, how do I do that - I've installed the CD utility but can't see anything with sleep options?

Has anyone switched to the BT unit and is that working OK?

Thanks guys

Rich

You can turn off sleep using the utility linked above (SwitchPowerSaveTool). I've done it back and forth with several adapters, no problems. I don't believe there is any risk but proceed at your own caution.
Presumably it will increase power consumption, heat output and possibly shorten the life of the unit.

I can't say that it solved my problem completely, just seemed to reduce the occurrence.

Like you I had 200Mbps units beforehand, with no disconnect problems. They all went kaput due to bad caps. When I replaced them with 500s, that was when the problems started. There is something not right about these Qualcomm 500 chipsets or firmware. I have experienced it with other brand 500s also.
Options
2014-10-17 12:54:03
I have exactly the same problem. My TL-PA4010KIT randomly drops connection for seconds or minutes and then regains connection by itself. It could happen several times a day. It could happen any time. It is very annoying. Constantly pinging every 2 seconds to the router solves the problem. Nothing wrong with the router because I used to connect to it directly using Ethernet cables and never had such a problem.
Options
Same Problem Also in the UK
2014-10-21 09:47:07
I've been trying to work out what TP-Link actually stands for, I think I now have the answer after reading this thread.., TOTALLY PANTS-LINK!!!!!!!!!!

Why a company chooses to ignore it's customers in this way really baffles me, if we all returned our units they would be right in the s**#t. Without customers TP-Link would not exist!!

I've suffered this same problem ever since buying these devices, I have three units in use, 1@desktop end -- 1@router end -- 1@AV/Receiver. I notice people are talking about Windows 8 here but I'm having this issue running Windows 7

Personally I haven't tried the Ping method, usually I click the Network icon to diagnose the fault but often it resumes a working state before the troubleshooter has completed. On average this effects me twice daily and often around mid-afternoon and around midnight.

Currently I have nothing good to say about this company or it's products, they SUCK!!
Options
2014-11-30 01:38:44
Same problems here in Italy.

The middle green led is on, with high rate often greater than 300 Mbit, when the connection is dropped,

I tried to replace it under warranty by Amazon but the new units have the same problem.

I'm very upset with Tp-link :mad:
Options
2014-12-01 16:30:43

Red5goahead wrote

Same problems here in Italy.

The middle green led is on, with high rate often greater than 300 Mbit, when the connection is dropped,

I tried to replace it under warranty by Amazon but the new units have the same problem.

I'm very upset with Tp-link :mad:

Don't be upset. Report it here directly to see how TP-LINK people say.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/Support/contact/
Options
Related Articles