Deco M4 wifi clients with wifi connected and "no internet"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-17 09:26:17 - last edited 2020-05-13 14:42:55
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20190620 Rel. 45372

I Have a pack of 2 of deco M4R units, wifi was setup, apparently no issues. The network topology is

WAN - ISP router (bridge port) - deco M4 (1Gbps+ cables all over, all ports are 1Gb).

I have exactly the same setup I had with a tp-link wr1043nd v3, that I have now replaced by the pack of 2 deco M4R.

Just bought 3 new nokia 2.2 (android one 9.0), and already on their setup+updates I noticed that they would drop the connection in the middle and I had to disable/enable the network to keep going with the setup!

Now, to definetely troubleshoot this I reset the decos, created a new fresh network with only one deco (left the other unconfigured and powered off), changed the dns of the WAN to 8.8.8.8 + 8.8.4.4, and disabled fast roaming. Nothing else. My tests are being done within 3 meters of the deco and the ISP router.

I also reset 1 of the nokia 2.2, besides adding the google account, nothing else was changed.

I also enabled the wifi on the ISP router (that I keep off) just for testing and comparison. 

I am using the android youtube app for tests, I choose a fullhd or 4k video of more than 20 mins and just play it and see if it goes through all of it.

On the ISP router (I selected my own channel 6 here): no issues, connection always fine, speed fine, video plays all.

On the deco (apparently selected channel 9): issues, deco shows white led all time, other devices seem fine, but these nokia 2.2 the wifi shows connected, apparently no issues, but anything net related does not work (sometimes it will show "connected/no internet"). A disconnect + connect works again for some minutes (around 5-7 mins).

I already tried everything on tplink foruns, even spoke to nokia support to see if they had any wifi compalints (had none), checked nokia 2.2 reviews (also no wifi issues). I also notice that on some samsung tablets, using wifi 2.4 the speed is bad (at 1m from the deco!), starts fine at 50+Mbps but drops fast, eventually the average is listed at 5Mbps? With the older wr1043nd, also 1m away, I had the max wifi speed (120Mbps!), and I also get max using the ISP router.

Testing a laptop PC or samsung tablet on 5.2GHz wifi on deco I also get the max speed.

I also noticed by peeking at the http://192.168.68.1 (default) that the CPU keeps going up to almost 100% for nothing, then returns to decent 4%, this keeps going in a loop, does not look normal... I do not see anything major on the logs, the deco shows nokia 2.2 connected, nokia 2.2 shows wifi connected, but there is no internet at all!

I also changed the nokia 2.2 to use a fixed IP instead of dhcp for the deco wifi, I stil have the same wifi conencted/no internet issue, tryed disable mesh for this device, still issues. Nothing seems to fix it. This would need a good debug on the deco unit ...

This is very annoying, and I need to keep doing disable/enable of the deco network to have stuff working. Connected to the ISP router wifi, no manual changes and no issues whatsoever.

I think there is something wrong with this firmware for the deco M4, that causes severe issues within the 2.4Ghz wifi, causing "some" client disconnections, and I cannot troubleshoot further, if this is not fixed, since the nokias work fine woth other non-deco wifi's, I will have to return the decos since 3 devices at home cannot use it?

Just reset both decos and swapped the roles (always keep only the main on) and the issue is still there, turn on wifi, start a youtube video, after 6:10 it shows buffering issues and I try to open any link, shows disconnected (but wifi shows on, and the deco also shows nokia 2.2 connected).

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Deco M4 wifi clients with wifi connected and "no internet"-Solution
2020-07-03 09:10:14 - last edited 2020-07-03 09:10:20

@Pat1185 

Hello all, sorry to respond late.

For those who have encountered the disconnect issue with the Deco M4 network, please help to confirm the following information and we will try to fix it ASAP:

1. Who is your internet service provider? And what is the current network diagram? How do you connect these devices together?

2. Is there any error message on the Deco app when the internet stops working?

3. In the meantime, please connect your laptop to the modem directly and verify whether it is the ISP issue or the Deco itself. 

4. Besides, cause the wireless device still connects to the Deco with a valid IP address, at that time, please ping the gateway of the Deco which is 192.168.68.1 by default, and show us the ping result. 

5. You are suggested to swap the locations of the Deco units to give it a go. 

BTW, here are some suggestions when there is an unstable issue with the Deco network:

What can I do if the internet connection is unstable when connected to the Deco network?

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco M4 wifi clients with wifi connected and "no internet"-Solution
2020-07-23 12:54:54 - last edited 2020-07-24 10:58:56

Just saw that version 1.4.0 Build 20200628 Rel. 48846 is now ready to dowload and install (Deco M4 v1)

Recommended Solution
Options
81 Reply
Re:Deco M4 wifi clients with wifi connected and "no internet"
2019-09-17 13:46:47

Some more updates, I have booted in safe mode and the issue is still there.

Now, I was chatting with Nokia support for a good half an hour, conencted to the deco wifi, and the network kept ongoing.

But as soon I do my test of disabling/enabling the wifi on the nokia, starting youtube and play a [long] video, after 6-7 minutes disconnects.

So, small chatty network keeps it alive, streaming causes a disconnect (and you don-t even notice because the wifi icon shows ok, but anything trying to get anything from the net does not work and reports no connection).

Any help on this?!

Options
2019-09-19 05:36:40 - last edited 2019-09-19 05:37:56

@VCL 

Thanks for your clarification and thanks for your time to do the troubleshooting by your own.

With the Nokia 2.2 connected to the Deco network but no internet, please check the IP address and default gateway. 

In the meantime, please ping the gateway of the Deco which is 192.168.68.1 by default and show us the screenshot of the ping result. 

Besides, try to disable beamforming and go to QoS page to clear all the high priority items. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-09-19 07:11:20 - last edited 2019-09-19 07:22:33

I tried all combinations, using DHCP or fixed IP, with dhcp DNS or fixed DNS, and also tested all combinations of options of the deco, even disabling everything there to make it as non-mesh as possible, allways the same issue. And no QoS or other extra stuff setup ever, I kept it as simple as possible for now. And I did all the tests with the second deco powered off to ensure no interference. Yesterday I changed the LAN IP to 192.168.0.1 (similar to what I was using in the tplink wr1043nd, just in case), but the issue is still there. I will try that ping, but as I mentioned, when this happens, the apps complain they cannot refresh/access the net, while the wifi connection shows connected and looks fine. 

Yesterday I brought the same nokia 2.2 to my workplace where we a mesh cisco entreprise network, with two SSIDs and both in 5GHz and 2.4GHz (something very similar what the tp-link deco M4 provide), the nokia had no issues here. I also provided this feedback to nokia (so that at least it is registered in case somebody else has similar issues).

So, up to now these nokias have been connected to half a dozen networks (including one provided by 2 tplink wr1043nd v3: ISProuter - tplink as AP ssid0 - tplink as extender ssid1), the only one I have with issues is with the tplink deco(s).

I also asked for tplink support (Portugal), with screenshots of several steps of the wifi tests (with the nokia booted in secure mode, just to be sure nothing was interfering, also as nokia support requested) and last tplink support email mentioned they were handing over all the info to the engineering team (I also provide the link to this forum thread, so that they can keep an eye on it as well).

I think the only way here would be to capture the network traffic between the deco and the nokia 2.2 to analise, but I have no idea on how to do it from either side...

Maybe tplink can buy a nokia 2.2 (they are cheap) and do their own lab tests, if they find that the issue is with android one, provide the feedback to google/nokia, if they find on the tplink, just update their firmware.

Options
2019-09-20 09:14:16

@VCL 

Thanks for your reply.

I do find that you raised feedback email via the Deco app.

Back to your case, cause we cannot figure it out, to fix it, our engineer will email you later. 

If you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox.

While cause you have contacted the local support, if you have any reference number or ticket ID, please let us know.

Best regards. 

Options
2019-09-20 20:45:56 - last edited 2019-09-20 20:48:19

Locally I think there is no tiket number, but the portuguese technician is passing my feedback to another non-portuguese tp-link technician (that I added as administrator already to my deco network) and vice-versa, "translating" their requests back to me, so this is ongoing.

Victor

Options
2019-09-23 10:36:58

@VCL 

Thanks for your reply, Victor.

You can keep in touch with the engineer and try to figure it out together.

Any updates, you can let us know.

Good day. 

Options
2019-09-23 14:55:13

@Kevin_Z, now is being handled by tplink support #275699.

Options
2019-09-24 08:18:27

@VCL 

Okay, you can keep in touch with my colleague.

They will help you to locate the issue and try to solve it. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-10-11 08:54:06 - last edited 2019-10-11 08:56:06

Latest tests with a tcpdump run on the tp-link and ping tests on the PC to the nokia 2.2 shows that the wifi stays connected, but pings do fail for X minutes each X minutes, and eventually the nokia gives up and shows wifi without internet. I think that after some time it will reconnect (the damage is done however) but usually a manual disconnect/connect to wifi solves it, but only for x minutes untill the issue re-appears again, very annoying.

And apparently somebody else has similar issues issues with different androids than the nokia 2.2, with the exact symptoms I have, with connects+disconnects each X minutes, eventually the wifi shows connected with no internet and fails - thread here https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/172760

My last test would be to be able to force the channel to a specific one and change the width (from the default 40Mhz?) to 20Mhz in the 2.4Ghz, but there is no way to do that in the firmware (this should be there, to be able to allow automatic or manual channel/width on 2.4Ghz and channel on 5Ghz - enhancemente request here?), hopping that support helps me on this.

Options
2019-10-12 09:08:58

@VCL 

Thanks for your updates. 

For the feature to change the wireless channel/channel width manually has been noted.

We will remind our engineer and evaluate the feasibility to add it. 

Good day. 

Options