force device to always connect to a specific deco?

force device to always connect to a specific deco?

107 Reply
Re:force device to always connect to a specific deco?
2020-06-24 20:18:01

@moloko i don't see that on mine, it takes me and shows IP address. connection type, etc. but nothing about turning off mesh technology. But i did make my guest network 5ghz only and that does seem to be solving my issue for now, as only the main router is within 5ghz shot of this tv. but if you could guide me with step by step i might try that as well. 

Options
2020-07-15 23:26:10

@moloko Would be very useful if someone can say how to access this 'mesh' option within the 'cog' for the relevant device?

I have the same problem with a tv which connects to one of the notably slower decos (as do a range of devices that aren't close to it) as opposed to the fastest/home deco which they are near which is a pain. Especially since use of video, etc is now critical.

QoS doesn't help as the slower deco performance is negating that in reality.

S

moloko wrote

Is there any way to force a device to connect to a specific deco? In my home office I have a TP-Link RE450 extending the Deco's WiFi network, but it always seems to connect to the deco furthest away from it rather (ideally) the one just a few meters away from it in the hallway - or even the (main) deco in the kitchen.

Options
2020-07-16 09:56:49

simoker wrote

@moloko Would be very useful if someone can say how to access this 'mesh' option within the 'cog' for the relevant device?

I have the same problem with a tv which connects to one of the notably slower decos (as do a range of devices that aren't close to it) as opposed to the fastest/home deco which they are near which is a pain. Especially since use of video, etc is now critical.

QoS doesn't help as the slower deco performance is negating that in reality.

S

moloko wrote

Is there any way to force a device to connect to a specific deco? In my home office I have a TP-Link RE450 extending the Deco's WiFi network, but it always seems to connect to the deco furthest away from it rather (ideally) the one just a few meters away from it in the hallway - or even the (main) deco in the kitchen.

@simoker I give step-by-step instructions in this reply. not sure how I can be much clearer than that tbh.

The 'mesh technology' toggle switch looks like this:

Options
2020-10-11 06:26:13 - last edited 2020-10-11 06:28:07

@moloko 

Thanks for your screenshot to clarify the instruction. It seems that many (including myself) are not seeing this toggle Mesh Technology. Hopefully it will be the best if Tplink techguy can come to address this issue. It seems this toggle only appears to specific Deco model. I'm using M5 + M3W (wall plug), not seeing this toggle. 

My printer is also having this buffering connection issue due to random connection to the far Deco, instead the nearer one. Really hope this toggle to be updated in all Deco models.

Options
Re:force device to always connect to a specific deco?-Solution
2020-11-06 06:49:43 - last edited 2023-11-07 09:13:51

Update:

Generally, the mobile client will connect to the nearest Deco node. However, there are still some clients sticking on a Deco node further away, which may be decided by the roaming mechanism of the client device itself. A client device decides whether to roam or not depending on several factors. For more details, please refer to this link:
Why my clients don't roam/connect to the nearest Deco node?

In the meantime, A new feature-Connection Preference: Customize Your Preferred Deco has been added on several models which allows users to manually select a specific Deco to connect. You could refer to this link to check whether you current firmware support connection preference or not:

Understand the Differences Among Deco Firmware Platforms

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-11-20 09:47:53

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi 

Do you have any eta on this feature. I have the same problem on a newly purchased M4 system. I have computers that connect to the deco that is far away and this gives a very slow speed. I would say that this feature is very important for me in order to asure the fastest connection for my units. Pretty unusable as it is now.

Currently i have 1.4.x version on my decos.

Best regards

Lars

Options
2020-11-20 09:51:05

@moloko 

Hi

I tried the mesh toggle button last evening. For one unit i toggled of the mesh (it was connected to the right deco at that moment). But today....is connected on the wrong deco again. So this mesh toggle button does not work on my m4 system. Any ideas ?

Options
2020-11-29 21:01:53

@TP-Link_Deco please make a fix for this... I have the same issue. My television is 3 feet away from my main Deco M5, but mainly prefers to connect to my Deco in our bedroom. For that it needs go through a sealing and a wall! This results in the most terrible connection ever and it makes me regret buying the Deco system.

Options
2020-11-30 06:08:53

@Jorguieta 

Hi

Have you tried to unplug the satellite Deco units for a while, then force the TV connected to the main Deco;

Once connected, please turn off the Mesh technology on the APP for the TV to have a look?

Thank you very much!

Options
2020-11-30 08:17:10

@TP-Link I did turn off the mesh once the tv was connected with the main Deco, but it still sometimes connects to the satellite Deco

Options

Tags

Feature Request
connection preference
Related Articles