New to smart switches....have a question!

2019-10-02 12:44:18 - last edited 2019-10-08 09:38:26

So I've been looking at these smart switches. If you have a hallway light with 2 switches do you have to get 2 3way switches for the same light or just 1?

I'd like to put 1 of these in my stairwell 1 switch is upstairs 1 switch is downstairs but I just don't appvalley know if I'm supposed to swap out both switches or just 1 switch.

Also in the app you've got the ability to do grouping. Within the grouping let's just say for security purposes I want my stairway lights, my kitchen's lights, my office lights, and my hallway lights all on the same group so if I hit that switch all those lights will turn on but if I'm hooked up to Alexa for instance will all those switches still work independently? if I ask for the kitchen light to turn on will it trigger the whole group and turn everything on?

I guess I'm asking if you can put multiple lights in multiple groups and will they all still work independently or what not again I'm totally new to this so please feel free to bash me but I'm just here to learntutuapp

Options
1 Reply
Re:New to smart switches....have a question!
2019-10-08 09:38:16 - last edited 2019-10-08 09:38:26

@jokesapart 

First, it depends on whether it is a three way switch, if so, you need order a smart 3-way switch to replace it, like HS210KIT. 

Meanwhile, you can use the grouping feature to control them at once. Below is the instruction: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2299/

Except the group, you still can control them indivisually as you want.

Good day. 

Options