TL-WPA8630P v2 Acting as DHCP server- how do I turn it off

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-WPA8630P v2 Acting as DHCP server- how do I turn it off

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
30 Reply
Re:TL-WPA8630P v2 Acting as DHCP server- how do I turn it off
2021-04-04 15:04:22

@Solla-topee 

Hi, I can see in the logs that the dhcp server is starting.

This always starts within a particular time range like 15-20 mins. This suggests a fault. I have BT fiber to property coming into a BT router which goes out to a TP-Link AV1300 extender with 2 receivers. Only one receiver has a problem. A smart DHCP server is the worst idea I have ever heard of for an internet extender. Can't imagine this ever being useful as you'll always need another main router. This should be a manual setting so you can decide to create different subnets within the home. 

The firmware version is 3.0.0 Build 20200927 Rel.61199 and hardware version is TL-WPA8631P v3.0.  

The default gateway is incorrect when assigned by the extender. I do not want the dhcp server to ever start on the extender. Please tell me how I can achieve this setup. 

Options
2021-04-05 02:31:39

@Cecil_ 

Thank you for your suggestion, to better assist you we'd like to follow up your case by email. We sent you a beta firmware for TL-WPA8631P(EU) V3 via email and you could give it a try, please look for email title '【Forum ID 172278 】' in your inbox, thank you~

Options
2021-04-09 18:17:54

@Solla-topee 

I am experiencing the same problems.

1. How did you find out Powerline device's DHCP Server does not work properly:

My ISP router is downstairs, connected to a TL-PA8010P 2.0. The wireless access point TL-WPA8630P 2.0 is upstairs.

My ISPs router does not always reliably assign IP addresses by DHCP. In addition, the Powerline Network does not always have a good signal between the Access Point upstairs and the Powerline device connected to the router downstairs.

Intermittently, the WPA8630P device will decide to start the local DHCP Server - as seen from the web interface System Log option.

The symptoms are: a mobile device connected to the Access Point will be assigned an IP address (presumably by the AP) with the Access Point IP address as the default gateway, instead of the Internet Router. The access point will not route the traffic to the Internet Router. The mobile device can ping the router downstairs on the local network, but cannot connect to the internet 

e.g. Internet router IP: 192.168.1.1.  Access point IP: 192.168.1.104 / Default Route 192.168.1.1.  Mobile Device IP:192.168.1.120 / Default Route 192.168.1.104

If the assigned mobile device default route was 192.168.1.1 then it would work. (Setting this manually would also work, but isn't practical in most cases).

This problem can sometimes be fixed by restarting the WPA8630P access point. If it was possible to disable the access point, then I believe the problem would be resolved because the mobile device would keep trying to acquire an IP address from the ISP router which would eventually succeed.

2. Your network topology: for example ISP XX--- Router Archer C7--PA8010  .... <powerline> ...WPA8630P :

Model of wireless/ wired clients that connect to WPA8630P:

As above.

3. Model number Firmware and hardware version of your Powerline KIT:https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1091/

WPA8630P 2.0 - 2.0.3 Build 20171018 Rel. 36564

TL-PA801P 2.0 - unknown but I guess the default - purchased 2 years ago.

4. When you find out powerline device is assigning an IP address improperly, please check :

• Led Status on  both powerline units:
  •  if you connect a computer to router by Ethernet cable directly, do you still have Internet from  router:
  • What is the IP address and gateway address from router by wire at that time: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/838/

LED status is variable orange / green, intermittently.

Not 100% clear, but I have never had a problem with internet when connecting via an ethernet cable. That seems to reliably work. (But I can't be sure with the WPA device.)

As above.

Thank you for your cooperation ~

Thank you! If you can provide firmware for the WPA8630P device that would be awesome. (Actually, in general, if you can provide updated firmware for all of my Powerline devices that would be amazing.)

Options
2021-04-12 04:05:09

@JT54 Hello, 

Thank you very much for the case details. 

To figure out what cause the problem, we'd like to follow up your case via email and may escalate it to the seniors, please kindly check our email, title begin with "【Forum ID 172278】" , thank you. 

Options
2021-04-14 10:44:55

@a-hawk 

I do have exactly the same problem as described above by other users.

Using en Eero router as DHCP server, when the router is disconnected, the CPL TL-WPA8630P is delivering IP addresses on the LAN and I get my desktops and Alexa's devices pointing to the wrong gareway IP delivered by the TL-WPA8630P.

Please provide us with the possibility to switch off your auto DHCP server on the TL-WPA8630P or at least give us the possibility to configure it so that we can setup the correct gateway IP address.

Brgds

Options
2021-05-01 11:59:41
I am having the same issue, just started a couple weeks ago, and it appears the DHCP server doesn't shut off. I can reset devices when I know a DHCP server exists, and it still goes to the powerline device with the wrong gateway. rendering multiple devices useless. This needs to be removed or allowed to be shut off.
Options
2021-05-07 10:07:00

@dvoegeli @paju Thank you for your feedback. 

Sorry for the delayed response. 

When  router is disconnected, powerline extender DHCP will turn on, this is normal. 

And when router's Internet is back, powerline devices DHCP should be off ( premise: powerline KIT are still paired / House Leds are On)

If you have any trouble with powerline devices, can you try suggestions in recommended solution listed above and help collect the information to help analyze the problem, thank you. 

Options
2021-05-07 10:57:26 - last edited 2021-05-07 10:59:38

Come on, @Solla-topee, you guys at TP-LINK have been stalling for months if not years about this issue. Your so called "recommended solution" is NOT a solution to your device acting up as a DHCP server!!! And it's NOT "normal" that there should be a DHCP server lurking in it, let alone kicking in.

Please face it, TP-LINK's design is FLAWED here. Will you once and for all provide a firmware tick box for users to disable that DHCP server? If you won't, at least please say so once and for all.

As for me, I've given up waiting and pulled an Ethernet wire out the window to link  APs in my floors. My $200 WPA8630P and companions have been sitting on a shelf picking dust and will soon be trashed as I am honest enough not to sell flawed devices.

Best and regretfully.

Options
2021-05-09 18:03:02

I'm having the same issue with my TL-WPA8635P v3.0. The DHCP is messing up my whole network and providing devices with the wrong gateway IP address. Looking to this forum it appears like I'm not the only one and there's still no solution. I'll return the the device and go to the competition instead for my PLC adapters.

Options
2021-05-11 03:51:55

@diadeluz Hello Diadeluz,

I reviewed your original post, and it looks like the issue occurs after power outage/ powering down main router in your case. 

We also want to resolve it if there is an issue or bug with the powerline unit, can you help with some further debugging? 

We sent you a follow-up email and your case will be escalated to seniors, please check your inbox, thank you. 

Options