Android devices loose conectivity with deco M4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-07 22:15:13
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20190620 Rel. 45372

Good Evening, 

I bought a set of 2 Deco M4 to use in my house with my ISP DOCSIS 3.1 EMTA (ARRIS) however I can't seem to get a good experience with Android devices(tp-link neffos x1lite and xiaomi redmi 6). 

The main problem with the smarphones is strange and very annoying, basicly een though we have good and stable wifi connection every 5 to 10 mins we loose all local and public conectivity and the only way to restore it is to disconect from home wifi and reconect again. 

While atempting to debug I did the following tests:

Ping google.com - fails

Ping 8.8.8.8 - fails

Ping 8.8.4.4 - fails

Ping 192.168.1.1 - fails (both in router and AP mode)

Ping 192.168.1.7 - fails (only in AP mode)

Ping smartphone with PC conected to same network - fails

See smartphone in ISP EMTA - fails (only in AP mode)

See smartphone in deco app - always online but with 0 kbit conection speed

Regarding the Decos configuration I've tried following configurations:

ISP as bridge + 1 Deco as Router - problems showes up (tried switching both decos as main)

ISP as bridge + 1 Deco as Router + 1 as Satelite wifi backhaul - problems showes up (tried switching both decos as main)

ISP as bridge + 1 Deco as Router + 1 as Satelite wired backhaul - problems showes up (tried switching both decos as main)

ISP as router + 1 Deco as AP - problems showes up (tried switching both decos as main)

ISP as router + 2 Deco as AP wifi backhaul - problems showes up (tried switching both decos as main)

ISP as router + 2 Deco as AP wired backhaul - problems showes up (tried switching both decos as main)

Only ISP as router no problems besides low wifi coverege

DHCP is automatic

Lease time 1 week( but tried severel intervals between 1 hour and 1 week).

As for wifi options tried fast roaming and beamforming but neither does any diference. 

Laptops(windows 10), Nintendo Switch and printers are ok without any problem regarding the configuration. 

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance,

Paulo Queirós

Options
13 Reply
Re:Android devices loose conectivity with deco M4
2019-10-07 23:43:20

@Paqueiros forgot and register again wifi network in android devices. 

Options
2019-10-08 01:01:41

@Paqueiros 

Were they still connected to the TP-Link wifi but no internet access or they lost connection at all? 

Try to forget the network on them and reconnect to the Deco's wifi. 

Please disable fast roaming and try to setup a static IP for them. 

How to use address reservatio on Deco, please refer to https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1795/

Good day. 

Options
2019-10-08 20:23:31
Thank you all for trying to help. I had already tried to forget and reconfigure network on devices with no luck. Tonight I reconfigured the Decos again to Router mode (were still in AP from one of last tests) and set up the smartphones with IP adress within the new IP range. @Kevin_Z when the connection fails the smartphones do keep the conection to the wifi network as if nothing had happened. The only new diferences with the static IP is the connections is restored after a few minutes and if i try to ping gateway now some do get through (about 30% packages fail to reach the gateway) but still can't ping google or its IP or any other device in the home network. Thanks.
Options
2019-10-11 01:57:54

@Paqueiros 

Please tell us the current network diagram. How do you connect these devices together? 

Please disable fast roaming and set QoS as standarad, clear all the high priority rules. 

When the android device lost connection, please check their IP address and gateway, and then ping the gateway of the Deco and the local devices in the same network. After that, please show us screenshots of the ping results.

Besides, try to upgrade the OS version of the 2 Android smart phones. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-10-11 20:06:00 - last edited 2019-10-11 20:12:24

@Paqueiros

Same issue as mine here https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/170848

My ISP router wifi (NOS Hytron) also works fine and I have the main deco connected in bridge mode.

I only have major issues with several nokia 2.2 (can only connect to 2.4Ghz), all other devices (laptops - 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, printer - 2.4Ghz, tablets and several different mobile phones - all in 2.4Ghz) "seem" to be fine (it may be that they also have issues, never ping'd those in fact, but if they do there is no visilbe issue and they never disconnect). The nokias eventually show wifi with no internet. I thought the issue was only with the nokia 2.2 but maybe this is a more general deco issue if somebody else has the same issue?

My main tp-link deco runs a support provided firmware that allows telnet into it, a tcpdump was run by support, I am now trying to get the deco (at least the main, on my tests I power off the other) to use a specific channel and using 20Mhz in the 2.4Ghz (command to be provided by support), to put it into the same channel and width as the ISP router wifi (channel 6 and 20Mhz), turn ISP wifi off and redo my usual test with the main deco only, see the outcome.

I think @Paqueiros is also Portuguese... can this be something affecting the "Portuguese" deco's?!

Options
2019-10-12 09:36:10

@VCL 

Yes I'm also Portuguese, and after reading your post its sounds exacly like my issue, but with diferent smartphone model, so maby the problem is between deco firmware and android software. Did you ever manage to get it solved?

@kevin_z

All advanced configurations have been turned off since the problem first shoewd up, as soon as I can I'll send prints. 

Options
2019-10-12 10:37:47

@ivy Ongoing, waiting for another teamviewer session so that support can apply the switch to channel 6 and width 20Mhz on the 24Ghz.

And I also have the deco's as dumb as possible with everything extra disabled, and fixed IP for the nokias. yesterday tried disable the 5Ghz, turn on priority to the nokia, still have the ame issue. One thing I noticed is that while the nokia is "sleeping" (screen off) it is pingable all the time, as soon it wakes and I start doing tests (display a long video using teh youtube app), I notice those ping request timeouts to the nokia 2.2 (android one 9 pie).

I also just got a nokia 4.2 (also android one 9 pie), and this one has no issues and is always pingable.

Now, for @Kevin_Z, the decos run openwrt, I see a lot of people with the exact symptoms we have on their own routers, can this be an openwrt issue? 

Options
2019-10-14 19:44:27 - last edited 2019-10-14 20:03:15

@Paqueiros 

The channel and width change to 6 and 20Mhz (kudos to tp-link) made no change to the nokia 2.2 issue, still happening.

I think we tried every single possible change to make the deco as dumb as possible, and as tunable as possible, without digging deeper into specific configurations (like key type, timings, etc., I found a lot of wifi issues as well with openwrt). While I did not test AP mode, I was sure this would not change a thing, as @Paqueiros confirmed. If this was a "general" android 9 issue, I also have a nokia 4.2 with me, that runs also android one 9 (however a complete different CPU inside than the nokia 2.2), that has no wifi issues (and only supports 2.4Ghz as well).

Options
2019-10-15 06:02:21

@VCL 

Thanks for your reply.  I read that you mentioned that the Deco uses OpenWRT? Did you flash the third party firmware? 

If so, have you ever tried to flash it back to the official firmware and test the performance?

Besides, you can keep touching with our engineer what you are doing now, we will try to figure it out. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-10-15 06:03:41

@Paqueiros 

Please take your time.

Once you are available, please send us the pictures mentioned in our last reply. 

And we will do further analysis. 

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5822

Replies: 13

Related Articles