Deco M5 in AP mode sometimes act as a DHCP server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-08 18:06:23 - last edited 2021-08-30 02:38:55
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.1 Build 20190617 Rel.47476

I,

First, not sure about the hardeware version.

I've got 3 DECO M5 in Access Point mode. Sometimes, when my DHCP server crashes, the principal/master deco M5 becomes the gateway and DHCP server and serves IP.

Very strange as if I understand well in AP mode DHCP service is not enabled.

Any idea ?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M5 in AP mode sometimes act as a DHCP server-Solution
2021-08-29 23:40:36 - last edited 2021-08-30 02:38:05

@Aleks_ 

Re-posting message from TP-Link Support, as a community service and possible closure for discussion in this thread.

[New Firmware] Deco M5 1.6.0

Added Smart DHCP on/off switch under Access Point mode.

Recommended Solution
Options
62 Reply
Re:Deco M5 in AP mode sometimes act as a DHCP server
2019-10-09 01:27:30

@scassar 

For your information, this is normal.

When Deco works as an access point, the DHCP server will be disabled cause there is another DHCP server existed and manage the whole network; However, once the main DHCP server failed, in order to keep in touch with the Deco, the DHCP server will be enabled by default so that the clients can obtain an IP address from Deco to manage it, which is called smart DHCP. 

But once the main DHCP server came back to work, the DHCP server on Deco will be disabled automatically again to ensure that there is only one DHCP server in the same local network, and the clients can access internet. 

May it help and have a good day. 

Options
2020-03-21 23:58:50

@Kevin_Z 

I know this is an older thread, but I just couldn't resist....

'smart DHCP'????  You guys have hundreds of posts clearly stating that DHCP IS DISABLED when running in AP mode.  If this IS a valid feature, why isn't it described ANYWHERE in the documentation?  Aside from that, we, as consumers, should be given the ability to disable this so-called 'smart' feature.  

I might have an odd configuration here, but I can just about guarantee that I am not the only one with the same or similar setup:  I have a local file server that manages all DHCP and DNS traffic in my network.  This server is set to reboot bi-weekly for stability purposes.  The problem is that when the server is rebooting the Deco unit (mine is an M4) assigns random DHCP information to the server before the server's DHCP becomes active.  In turn, every device on my network is handed out this random information, which most importantly contains a truly random default gateway address, and my entire network collapses.  I have wasted many hours of time and frustration trying to correct this issue that did not exist until the Deco units were installed.

I did many hours of research before to make sure that this unit did indeed disable its built-in DHCP server before I made the purchase.  Now, I am severely regretting it.  This is a function that needs to be fully documented and WE, as consumers, need the ability to be able to turn this function off permanently.

Options
2020-06-09 09:56:42 - last edited 2020-06-09 09:56:59

@Kevin_Z This functionality is anything but "smart".
Once your devices get a lease from the DECO acting as a (wrong) DHCP, your network is almost destroyed, no one can access the Internet because the gateway address will be wrong, and re-connecting the good DHCP will not solve the problem: you must cycle (disconnect/reconnect, reset, or unplug/replug) all the devices that stay stuck on the wrong addresses. Why should you need to get an IP in a network without a valid DHCP server? to repair the DHCP, I guess. So, how can you repair your DHCP server if, for example, your "smart" DHCP is giving you an IP in another segment??? (yes, it happens, it's very probable after a power blackout).

You are receiving complaints about this for more than a year, I'll stop suffering the issue in the simplest way: disconnecting your products from my network.

thank you for your time.

Options
2020-06-28 14:06:40

I'm having the same problem.

Really disapointed with TP Link right now and considering returning my M4R units as without much needed updates and diligent fixes, they are useless to me.

Options
2020-06-28 21:14:12
I would like an option to enable/disable this "feature" because it causes more problems than it potentially solves. So here is a feature request for that. ;)
Options
2020-07-22 13:29:57

In order to by-pass this issue (which is also causing older devices to randomly loose internet connection - without loosing any wifi bars), I assign static IPs for each device in my router and every smartphone (deco works in access point mode). In this way, each device has the IP address preconfigured and when for any reason any deco satellite restarts, internet is not broken when it cames back.

Options
2020-09-06 19:09:46

I am having this same issue. For no reason I can see, the Deco m5 enabled its own DHCP server which changed all my addresses for my home automation systems which rendeder my entire home inoperable.  I spent 5 hours until 2am last night trying to figure this out, and finally narrowed it down to the M3 devices being rouge DHCP servers.  I can see on several devices that they have the M5 as the host router.  But I am in AP move and never used router mode ever.  

THERE NEEDS TO BE A WAY TO ENSURE HDCP IS NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER ENABLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
2020-09-07 10:15:32
As far as I could tell, it only happens when you change from mesh mode to access point mode. I personally got fed up and sold the units to acquire something from other brand that actually give their products life-time support.
Options
2020-09-07 10:33:16
Hi This is really the best solution : 3 Deco M5 sold and replaced with 3 Xiaomi Redmi AX5. Meshed network, wifi 6, signal stength better... and possible to really disable DHCP if needed. ok Chinese WebUI but no problem with Google Translate.
Options
2020-09-24 18:06:09 - last edited 2020-09-24 18:53:59

@Kevin_Z 

This not an OK response to the inquiry, however, on the plus side, I can now confidently trace all of my network problems back to this "feature".

I had been looking to upgrade to a newer set of TP Link devices, but there's no chance of that happening now.

I'm ordering a new wifi system today and posting this one on craigslist, or better, throwing it in the trash so no one else has to put up with the BS.

Farewell!

Edit: Just placed a preorder for the new eero Pro 6 tri-band mesh Wi-Fi 6 router

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 14745

Replies: 62