Votes

Limit on Smart Actions?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

Limit on Smart Actions?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
34 Reply
Re:Limit on Smart Actions?
2020-08-11 07:27:15 - last edited 2023-01-04 03:51:42

@CaptGizmo this is truly unbelievable and unacceptable... let's see what the "support" line will say about this

Options
2020-08-13 21:21:29 - last edited 2023-01-04 03:51:42

@RyanEverhart789  (2019-10-13) There is a limit of 3 smart actions?? Why? 

@techfreak200  It's been 10 months since this thread started. I don't think anything has changed. We still have the same 3 enabled action limit as 10 months ago with no plan for the future.

Saying we can create 50 actions then only have 3 "active" is misleading.  What's the use of 50... if 47 of them need to be disabled?

Unfortunately, "3 enabled" is not accepable for what I had planned. I also don't want to hear about a monthly fee later down the road. Who knows what the plan is...

If anyone has a decent workaround let us know.

If not, I'm going to return all these products and look/wait for a better solution.

PS
Options
2020-08-13 21:50:41 - last edited 2023-01-04 03:51:42

@Seg There is a work around.  TP-Link has smart home router built into their Deco M9 mesh system.  Within the Deco app for the M9 there is a section for Home Automation.  This is bascially just like Smart Actions.  You are able to program when lights turn on and off, set timers and other things.  I was tired of kids leaving bathroom lights on so I've used the home automation to turn off a bath room light after 15 mins.   Works pretty slick!

So with the Deco M9 you get great wifi and home automation!

Ryan

Options
2020-08-13 22:29:45 - last edited 2023-01-04 03:51:42

@RyanEverhart789 Thanks for the info Ryan!

Based on your response I just did some research. 

I already have a good home WiFi setup w/ great range. I'm not super excited about switching to mesh. If I was starting from scratch... maybe. I just looked into getting a "SR20 Kasa Smart Home Router" instead of the "Deco M9".

I'd set it up as an Access Point hard wired to my existing (more powerful) router.... but it seems like that will not work. The devices need to be connected to the SR20 router for them to work (based on the Q/As on amazon). Maybe I could divide the bands across the routers... but I don't want to compromise my existing home WiFi for this.

Thanks again for the info. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Maybe it will help someone else who also wants to switch to mesh or needs to set up a new home WiFi and doesn't mind going with a router made by TP-Link.

If there is something that will plug into an existing router and work let me know... ;-)

PS
Options
Re:Limit on Smart Actions?-Solution
2020-11-28 23:38:15 - last edited 2023-01-04 03:51:42

@RyanEverhart789 There's a fantastic workaround!

1. Download the Samsung Smartthings app
  2. Create an account and log in
  3. Import your Kasa devices
  4. Turn off your Kasa Smart Actions
  5. In Smartthings:
    1. Tap the hamburger menu
    2. Tap Automations
    3. Create an automation such as:
      1. If Bathroom fan is turned on
      2. Then (select on)
      3. Make sure Delay this action is turned off
      4. Tap Auto turn off and  select time
      5. Save your automation
    4. Do this as many times as you need to.

Note for Google Home users, you will NEED to unlink the Kasa app and link the Smartthings app instead or the devices won't use the timer if you use Google to turn them on or off.

It's free, you don't need to buy anything additional, and it just works. I've spent tons of time playing with WebCore which is frustrating at best, then waiting for Kasa to update their app. This now works beautifully!

Enjoy!

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-11-29 01:25:52 - last edited 2023-01-04 03:51:42

edival wrote

@RyanEverhart789 There's a fantastic workaround!

1. Download the Samsung Smartthings app
  2. Create an account and log in
  3. Import your Kasa devices
  4. Turn off your Kasa Smart Actions
  5. In Smartthings:
    1. Tap the hamburger menu
    2. Tap Automations
    3. Create an automation such as:
      1. If Bathroom fan is turned on
      2. Then (select on)
      3. Make sure Delay this action is turned off
      4. Tap Auto turn off and  select time
      5. Save your automation
    4. Do this as many times as you need to.

Note for Google Home users, you will NEED to unlink the Kasa app and link the Smartthings app instead or the devices won't use the timer if you use Google to turn them on or off.

It's free, you don't need to buy anything additional, and it just works. I've spent tons of time playing with WebCore which is frustrating at best, then waiting for Kasa to update their app. This now works beautifully!

Enjoy!

@edival   WOW! This is awesome. Thanks SOOOO much for sharing.

PS
Options
2020-12-17 15:50:33 - last edited 2023-01-04 03:51:42

@edival 

Thanks for the tip!

One question... after downloading the app, where do I go to import? I've searched all over the app but haven't found it.

I'm on iOS 14.3 and running SmartThings v1.6.55.

Options
2020-12-17 15:53:51 - last edited 2023-01-04 03:51:42

@RyanEverhart789 If I recall, just click the + at the top right of the homescreen to add a device, click By brand, then find TP-Link | Kasa Smart. It should import all your devices from the Kasa app.

Options
2020-12-17 16:36:30 - last edited 2023-01-04 03:51:42

One feature that is unavailable in the Samsung SmartThings app but is in the Kasa Smart Actions is “Control With a Switch”.

I am using this feature as a workaround to plug another gap in TP-Link’s product line which is a lack of a 3-way Dimmer Switch.

I was using a TP-Link Dimmer and a Single Pole switch. I added a Smart Action to control each another. Works well except I am limited to just 3 devices and was hoping to get around this.

FWIW, the TP-Link SR20 also does NOT include this Smart Action (Control With a Switch) so that will also not work.

Options
2020-12-17 17:34:59 - last edited 2023-01-04 03:51:42

@Jackles I believe you can still use the Kasa app for its features even when routed through Smartthings.

Options

Voters 6

+ 2 Voters