Archer A9 and Access Control (whitelist) not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-16 22:29:41
Model: Archer A9  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20190226 rel.62939(4555)

I used an older tp-link router (with green web interface). To limit wireless network access to known devices only I made use of Wireless MAC Filtering.

Everything worked fine unless I've bought a new Archer A9.

There is no MAC Filtering option in its "blue interface" so I've decided to use Access Control functionality with Wihtelist.

I've added some MACs to the whitelist and certainly enabled Acces Control function. And I really don't know if it works as should be:

• I am still able to connect via WiFi and gain access to LAN with device with MAC not whitelisted...
  • After connect via WiFi the device obtain IP address from external DHCP (router's DHCP is disabled).
  • I thought that not whitelisted devices cannot sucessively connect to WLAN or at least cannot access any network.
  • But mabe this access control funtionality works only with DHCP enabled and WAN port connected? I don't use router WAN port nor DHCP. The router is only connected via LAN port with my local network with own DHCP and gateway to internet.

I'll be very thankful for any suggesions, help and explanation. I haven't expeced that new routers have less functions exposed to user via new "blue" interface...

Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer A9 and Access Control (whitelist) not working
2019-10-17 02:18:30

@TNO 

What is the current network diagram? What is the operation mode of the Archer A9? 

For your information, the Access Control does not work in AP mode. You can click here to get more differences between router mode and AP mode. 

Besides, below is the instruction to setup access control on Archer A9. https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1535/

You can show us a screenshot of the status page of the A9 and the access control settings page for more information. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-10-17 07:22:30

@Kevin_Z 

Here's simple diagram of my network

A9 should work in AP mode. But as You replied "the Access Control does not work in AP mode". So it works as router.

But in this case whitelist doesn't filter all devices.

Current situation looks like this

• Wireless Status Online shows 2 devices

One of them is whitelisted (10-08) but another isn't.
  • When we look into Access Control white list we see

However this wireless device 10-08 isn't listed as Online Device. The listed one is wired (via switch) machine when I'm logged to A9's web console.
  • Additionally, the status of device doesn't show any wireless connection...

This is the situation I have. Not whitelisted devices still can connect and gain access to LAN. They can be seen only in Wireless Statistic.

Options
2020-01-06 18:45:00

@TNO 

Well - I can confirm this. It looks parental controll is not working on

1.2.4 Build 20190403 rel.63869(4555) (v5) as well - in router/NAT/DHCP mode.

MAC for device is configured and schedule is added - but it doen't change anything.

Options
2020-01-06 19:07:43

@brsvus 

I have already given up this issue.

After many tests I have determined that whitelist or time from NTP is working only when WAN port is used and conncted to internet...

Nevertheless I have tried to make use of this whitelist. This involved adding both Ethernet and Wireless MAC-addresses for each "white" computer (to allow its IP addresses to be obtained via router's DHCP server).

Unfortunately, the white/black list has (not documented) limit of 24 (or 32, I don't remember) entries. So I hit the wall again.

They upgrade network devices but the limiting funtionality of web interface...

Options
2020-04-09 19:52:47

@TNO this is also happening with me . But I can notice it is only happening with some brands.  For example xi phones never get blocked. Please let me know if you found a solution

Options
2020-04-09 19:53:49

@M7moudElgazzar also I use WAN

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3313

Replies: 6