Deco M5 source signal selectable?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 source signal selectable?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
333 Reply
Re:Deco M5 source signal selectable?
2020-05-08 13:29:08

Hey TP link,

i just installed my new Deco M5 - 3 unit system, a big fan of the whole installation process!

however I experience the same as the other people in this thread: my unit furthest away keeps connecting to the main Deco in the other part of the house instead of the middle unit, which to me completely defeats the purpose of a mesh network, can you please look at this in the next firmware update? Or at least provide a solution for your customers.

Thank you!

Options
2020-05-21 18:42:16

Same problem here. Even though Deco M5 is a mesh system we should be able to choose the source signal. That's seems a little basic to me. My farthest Deco unit could have a better signal if it is connected to the second Deco unit, not to the Main unit.

Options
2020-05-21 19:21:45

When are we going to get an official fix for this issue? it's been more than a year!

Options
2020-06-05 19:55:33

Im having the same issues, I connected my devices wired and it still uses wireless... it not only causes a slow wireless network but also loops in the network. Im really thinking about returning them and going for a system I can configure like Ubiquity.

Options
2020-06-06 08:07:37

Even I am facing the same problem with Deco M5(1.4.4).

The 2nd node always gets connected to the main node which is farther than the 1st node. And the 2nd node results in having weak signal.

Either the firmware should be updated to fix this issue. Or, give an option in the Deco app to manually select which Deco node to connect to. We can always have a default option, but atleast if that is not working out for the user, give him the flexibility to try out other ways to improve the performance.

Regards

Naveed

Options
2020-06-08 08:35:31

I figured it out, it was my router for some strange reason. I put a little switch directly infront of the router and hooked everything up to that instead of the router and everything worked. Somehow the deco's couldn't communicate when directly hooked up to the router, and yes, I know how this sounds... The ethernet backhaul started working after this.

FYI; I'm Dutch, the router is a Ziggo ConnectBox, the switch is a TL-SG105.

Options
2020-06-12 05:44:29

I think I have the same problem here, but also a question for you all. Are you sure that your slaves are all getting their signal only from the main Deco? This is not a true mesh system if you are correct. In fact, if you're correct, you'd get better signal strength in the farther corners of your house with linked range extenders.

Reason I ask if you're sure about only getting signal from the Main deco is this. The app gives us the "source" of the signal that each slave is using. It says "Main" or whatever name you have for it. That could mean two things. It could be that the main deco is the original source of the signal but not necessarily where a particular slave is getting into the mesh network. Or it could mean, as you all suggest, that every slave only gets signal from the main deco, since that's what the app seems to indicate.

When I did a Chat today with TP-Link about a problem with not getting 5 Ghz on one slave, the person said that the slave should be looking for the strongest signal it could receive, not just looking for the main deco. They asked if I could move any deco closer to the weak-signal-receiving slave. This is how a mesh network should work.

I then moved one slave closer to the slow second slave. The app still said the second slave had the Main as its source. So, no improvement by moving one slave closer. This contradicts all the FAQs and instructions on improving coverage.

Final oddity. I rebooted the second, slow slave. It restarted with both 2.5 Ghz and 5 Ghz, though still saying the "source" was the Main deco. I then moved the first slave back to its original location. The second slave still shows it's getting the 5 Ghz signal.

Options
2020-06-18 04:36:26

@Kevin_Z 

I have the same problem with the Deco P7. Firmware version 1.4.2. Running in Access Point mode.

The deco on the first floor picks up the signal from the "Main Deco" in the basement. The signal is so weak that it is often dropped. There is another Deco in between the 2, that gets a better signal but the First Floor Deco refuses to pick up that signal.

The drops have become so bad that I have removed the First Floor Deco from my network. Is there an ETA on a fix?

Thanks.

Options
2020-06-18 04:47:20

@rashief 

Checkout this thread with a possible solution in one of my later posts.

If not a solution, it should at least give some explanation of what's happening.

Options
2020-06-18 14:24:29

@RandySea2 ok... as per this thread if a place my third Deco super close to my second Deco (let's say 5cm) and boot it then this 3rd would be connected to the 2nd. Well... I tried this and no luck. It conitnues connected to the main Deco. I still think we should have the choice to connect to whatever unit we want... oh well...

Options
Related Articles