Deco M5 source signal selectable?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 source signal selectable?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
333 Reply
Re:Deco M5 source signal selectable?
2021-05-23 06:40:49

@TP-Link hello there, i'm running 12 deco m5 throughout a very big home let me briefly explain what I want to do with them but still doesn't work, the house is an L shaped home with garden all the way in between the L shaped home and a game room across the garden, being the main deco con the second floor right at the middle of the L shaped so I can try to daisy chain in couple different ways to deliver wifi up to the front door so i can work garage smart door and smart locks.

First daisy chain this runs all the second floor guest rooms up to the game room beside the front door):

Main deco (second floor living room center of the house)----> 2nd deco (second room 10 meters away) ----> 3rd deco (third room 15 meters away from 2nd deco and 25 meters away from main deco, beside the balcony to front door on top of garage) ----> 4th deco (game room 15 meters away from 3rd deco)

Second daisy chain (this runs from the living to main room only):

Main deco ----> 2nd deco (main room 15 meters away from main deco) -----> 3rd deco (bathroom 7 meters away from 2nd deco and 22 meters away from main deco)

Third daisy chain (this runs from the living all across the first floor with open concept)

Main deco -----> 2nd Deco (downstairs, about 8 meters from main deco) -----> for here I need another daisy chain 3rd deco (studio 13 meters away from 2nd deco to the right) 4th deco (terrace 5 meters away from 3rd deco studio about 20 meters from main deco) and the it runs another string from the 2nd deco ----> 3rd deco (dinner 8 meters from 2nd deco to the left) -----> 4th deco (kitchen 10 meters from 3rd deco from the second string that runs from downstairs deco)

This is how everything was planned to be connected but it isn't working at it is supposed, everything is trying to connect to main deco causing internet loss on game room, it is around 30 meters away from main deco, still somehow manage to get a little bit of wifi signal and connects straight to it.

I will want to try the beta firmware to check if this fic the problem, if you need I have the blueprints of the home layout for better understanding! 

Thanks for your help!

Options
2021-05-23 06:48:28
I need the beta firmware please!
Options
2021-05-24 02:02:49

@Depassenderos 

Hi, the firmware has been sent already, and please have a check of your message box.

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-05-24 16:19:40

@TP-Link I would also like the beta firmwar please can you send me the link

Options
2021-05-24 16:33:21

@TP-Link Can you send me the beta firmware please?

Options
2021-05-24 17:27:54

@TP-Link same here for the firmware please, would love to see if it can fix the problem. I have the same issue with the M5 connecting to a weak signal deco instead of a strong signal deco. Making me crazy 😢

Thanks!

Options
2021-05-24 22:09:33

@TP-Link I would really apreciate that beta, thanks!

Options
2021-05-25 01:19:25 - last edited 2021-09-16 11:01:49

@JordiB   @YuriKovenski82    @ScottyD  @eduardoRoth 

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Currently, the official firmware does not support manually choosing the signal source on the Deco system;

There is already a plan to add this feature along with the later firmware upgrade; Please keep attention to the official firmware upgrade;

And before the official firmware release,  we have a beta firmware for Deco M5 which could help satellite Deco to find the best uplink Deco and optimize its signal source.

So the beta firmware might improve the issue Deco is not getting signal source from the nearest Deco;

Deco M5 V1+V2+V3

https://static.tp-link.com/beta/2021/202102/20210207/Deco_M5_1.5.1_Network_Map_Optimization_Log.zip

How to update the firmware: https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202012/20201207/Documentation for upgrading Deco system.pdf

How the beta firmware takes effect: Please go to More>network optimization on the Deco APP; once you press it, Deco would start to analyze and improve the current network structure;

Please note:

1.All the Deco models in the network should be updated to this beta firmware, or the optimization feature is unavailable.

2. The beta firmware could be reverted back to the official firmware;

If the beta firmware is not working, please feel free to leave me a private message;

Options
2021-05-25 04:43:54 - last edited 2021-05-25 04:55:38

@TP-Link I tried the beta firmware but it doesn't do anything. I have three Deco M5 units set up in a line:

Main unit <------> Second Deco <-----> Third Deco

Third Deco should use Second Deco as signal source (three WiFi bars) but it always chose Main Deco (two WiFi bars). Can you make a firmware where we can choose the signal source unit?

Every time I try network optimisation, I get "Network Status Perfect".

Options
2021-05-25 08:56:55 - last edited 2021-05-25 11:27:27

Installed the firmware on all deco's as well. No change visible so far, the wireless deco is still connecting to the furthest unit (10 meters) and has 2 bars according to the app. The unit I would expect it to connect to is maybe 2-3 meters away. I don't understand how this can be, if I go into the room and closer to the unit that i have connected wirelessly until i'm connected to that one on my phone, a speedtest gives me 70mbs. If I then walk 1 meter towards the other unit and it takes over the connection, the speed goes to 300mbps.

Checked the admin page for an option to change anything. App says network condition is perfect..

The bedroom should connect to the study for the best connection. 

-- Edit

I just stumbled upon Rodrigo_Zarth's solution in https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/173748?replyId=488390 and this actually works.
Remove the deco that doesn't want to connect from the system in the app. Then add it again on the 3rd floor. How simple can it be..

Current situation (firmware updated again to non-beta):

Speed now 150mbps, much better!

Options
Related Articles