Deco M4 slow speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M4 slow speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
88 Reply
Re:Deco M4 slow speed
2020-04-10 16:45:54

@fGrisi To be crystal clear....you have an ethrenet cable plugged into the Archer unit input, unplug it, and plug the cable into the port on the router you set as you main if you followed the directions on the Deco APP and manual.

Manual> 2 pack and 3 Pack

In the PDF owner's manual: #3 If you don't have a (cable) modem, connect the ethrenet cable to the Deco, then plug in power

The Archer unit only has erthrenet in and ethrenet out (x4) plus power and a USB port, I had one so best of my recollection. No longer in use as the main Deco is now my modem/router

Options
2020-04-10 18:18:27

@nesbocaj 

Ok, I tried that. And what happens is: my Deco's led turns red and I don't have any internet signal anymore. That is probably because the Deco needs the signal the C7 is generating.

I did exactly the same thing as in the video of the link you gave me (https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/deco-m4(3-pack)/).

Options
2020-04-10 19:43:02

fGrisi wrote

@nesbocaj 

Ok, I tried that. And what happens is: my Deco's led turns red and I don't have any internet signal anymore. That is probably because the Deco needs the signal the C7 is generating.

I did exactly the same thing as in the video of the link you gave me (https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/deco-m4(3-pack)/).

@fGrisi The Deco unit replaces the C7, no need for it. You need to follow thw directions precisely in the correct order, and power plug in as directed, and wait a bit for the deco to have a yellow light, and use the app on your phone.

Next thing to try: switch units (as the main)

Which cable provider do you have? Did they provide the C7?

That's all I got for you good luck.

Options
2020-04-10 21:15:20

@nesbocaj 

Switching units is something that I already tried.

Today I tried to reset them and install them over again. I'll try to do it once more, watching the video.

Another thing I have to try is to change all the cables. Buy new ones.

If nothing works, then this mesh tp link technology is just a frustration...

Options
2020-04-12 01:33:18

hi everyone

i also have the same issue. i have the deco installed and subscribed to a 100 mbps internet speed, if wired, i get almost 95% of the speed, however if in wireless mode, devices only get 9mbps! i had the standard setup and followed the installation for the 3 decos (3 floors). deco is directly connected to our main modem. 

thanks for anyone who can help

Options
2020-04-12 08:12:10

@Kevin_Z

Hi,

Yesterday i bought the deco m4, 3-pack.

I have the same problem as some of the guys in this threat, but i will make it clear in my own words.

I have fiber network, therefore i need a router.

The Deco m4 is set up as an accesspoint. ---> Internet ---> Router ---> Deco m4 ---> PC

The wifi from the decoes works great, but i need the cabled speed for gaming.

My total speed is 200/200. I get around 95% of that on wifi - BUT when i go cabled from the main deco m4 to my pc i get around 50 mbs.

My router has a wired max speed of 100 mbs, but i dont understand why the deco m4 limits my cabled speed? My cabled speeds are 50/90 mbs which is weird that they are not the same at least?

I have tried swapping main decoes - no fix.

I have tried using decoes as router under QOS to force a max bandwith - no fix.

Do you or any other here on this threat have any idea how to fix this?

Regards Pizza

Options
2020-04-12 13:18:50

@Pizza Just curious, your provider had an Optical Network Terminal (ONT) installed? The connection from the ONT to your modem is what? Ethrenet or otherwise?

Did you try another deco connected to the modem?

How is the deco connected to the modem? modem>wireless>deco or modem>ethrenet>deco?

What happens when you connect your computer directly to the modem? 

How many ethrenet ports are on your modem? If just one then get a unmanaged gigabit switch, split the ports from the modem and wire one

directly to your computer and the other to a deco unit as an access point.

What I would do>>IIRC some ONTs are either cable or ethrenet out, it sounds like you are connected from the ONT by cable to your modem. I would see if the ONT also has ethrenet out and connect that directly to the M4 that is set up as a router, or main. Eliminating the need for a separate router, and it's rental.

Pizza wrote

@Kevin_Z

Hi,

Yesterday i bought the deco m4, 3-pack.

I have the same problem as some of the guys in this threat, but i will make it clear in my own words.

I have fiber network, therefore i need a router.

The Deco m4 is set up as an accesspoint. ---> Internet ---> Router ---> Deco m4 ---> PC

The wifi from the decoes works great, but i need the cabled speed for gaming.

My total speed is 200/200. I get around 95% of that on wifi - BUT when i go cabled from the main deco m4 to my pc i get around 50 mbs.

My router has a wired max speed of 100 mbs, but i dont understand why the deco m4 limits my cabled speed? My cabled speeds are 50/90 mbs which is weird that they are not the same at least?

I have tried swapping main decoes - no fix.

I have tried using decoes as router under QOS to force a max bandwith - no fix.

Do you or any other here on this threat have any idea how to fix this?

Regards Pizza

Options
2020-04-12 18:03:54

@nesbocaj 

yes its optic and wired into the router. 

i did try to use another deco as main - no fix. my setup is router -> ethernet to deco -> cable to pc. Along the wifi.

when i connect it directly to the router i get 100/100 or in fact 110/110, but it seems limited to 100 since my speed is 200/200. Havent swapped it yet, but contacted my provider to day tho its holidays in DK. 

the ont doesnt have ethernet port. I have considered trying the switch and that might be my final solution but i think its bad to buy a gigabit product that doesnt provide as told. 

Thanks, pizza

Options
2020-04-13 09:20:56 - last edited 2020-04-13 09:22:08

@JFil  I'm no expert since you have internet  speed more than 300mbs, you better get a Deco M9+. It has backhaul triband with no lost speed, you'll see the difference.

Options
2020-04-14 11:00:08

@nesbocaj 

Thx for your reply. 

Today ive been testing cables to find errors and ive found a cat 5e which had a malfunction. After ive changed the cable ive got solid 500+ mbs from the deco m4. (In other business my provider upgraded my speed to 500/500.

Thanks and have a good day.

Pizza

Options
Related Articles