VR600v behind another router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-09 06:59:34 - last edited 2019-11-09 07:18:21
Model: Archer VR600v  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hello,

The short question - Please can you provide step by step instruction on how to setup the TP-Link behind another modem/router.

The long version:

I don’t yet have a NBN fibre connection but want to try out the TP-Link in the meantime. I currently have Optus HFC cable connection with a Cisco modem/router/voice ports.

So I am trying to connect the TP-Link VR600v behind the Cisco with Ethernet cable so I can access the internet through the TP-Link wifi or Ethernet connections.

Cable Internet ———> Cisco Modem/Router ———> TP-Link VR600v ———> WI-FI/Ethernet to devices...

However I am having some troubles. I can log into the TP-Links IP address but I can’t access the internet.... or after changing settings sometimes I can access the internet through the TP-Link Wi-Fi but then I can’t access the TP-Links IP address. It is one or the other which works and never both.

i followed instruction for a different TP-Link model but it didn’t work.

I have logged into the TP changed the IP address etc but I can’t get it working properly.

Please can you provide step by step instruction on how to achieve what I’m trying to do.

I also couldn’t get the VOIP to register even when the internet connection was working but perhaps this will be resolved once I have resolved the other issues.

Many Thanks!

P.S. I have an old modem/router which I have plugged into my Cisco modem/router and it just works! Why is it so hard to achieve this with the TP-Link?

Options
17 Reply
Re:VR600v behind another router?
2019-11-11 03:02:06

@NBN2020 

Just follow the manual for "Wireless Router Mode". While TP-Link manuals are fairly useless, it sort of hints this is Bridge Mode.

Options
2019-11-11 03:12:16 - last edited 2019-11-11 03:13:46

@MarkP1 

I have follwed the manual but when I finally get the internet working, most of the time you can no longer access the tp link router from the IP address even when connected directly with Ethernet cable. When I can access router via ip then usually I can’t access the internet. Most of the time it is one or the other which works but on the rare occasion I have got both to work after countless reboots of both routers it doesn’t stay working. If any device goes to sleep or router is switched off I can no longer access internet via the TP-Link (wifi or Ethernet) but I can access the router via ip again.

Also, VOIP will never register even when internet is working through the tp link. Status is always x.

thanks

Options
2019-11-11 03:44:41

NBN2020 wrote

@MarkP1 

I have follwed the manual but when I finally get the internet working, most of the time you can no longer access the tp link router from the IP address even when connected directly with Ethernet cable. When I can access router via ip then usually I can’t access the internet. Most of the time it is one or the other which works but on the rare occasion I have got both to work after countless reboots of both routers it doesn’t stay working. If any device goes to sleep or router is switched off I can no longer access internet via the TP-Link (wifi or Ethernet) but I can access the router via ip again.

Also, VOIP will never register even when internet is working through the tp link. Status is always x.

thanks

@NBN2020 

What IP address? The IP address of the cable modem or the vr600v?

What are the IP addresses? Have you set the cable modem to communicate in bridge mode?

Remember the WAN port on the VR600V  is used SOLELY for this, you cannot use another RJ45 in bridge mode to the cable modem. WAN must be connected to the port in your cable modem they designate for bridging, or if they don't then any port must suffice.

By the sounds of it, you've not disabled NAT/wifi in the cable modem and the two are clashing.

Options
2019-11-11 04:48:19 - last edited 2019-11-11 04:57:45

@MarkP1 

I’m trying to access the IP address of the VR600v. If the internet works then often the ip doesn’t. It just looks like it is loading but never does. Not even error message. Then if the IP works the internet often doesn’t. I did get both working at the same time but it didn’t stay working.

I changed the IP address of the VR600v from the default 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.130 

i.e. same format as the cable modem but outside of the cable modems DHCP range.

The cable modem is 192.168.0.1

There does not seem to be an option to put the cable modem into bridge mode and is not dedicated wan port.

I have done this kind of setup before and it was plug and play no changing setting and it just worked.

Internet > cable modem/router > Netgear modem/router > internet access via wifi/Ethernet

I can even chose wether to connect to cable modem or Netgear and both work. Internet, ip access everything just works and stays working but the TP-Link just doesn’t!

i will check if NAT is disabled. Wifi isn’t but as I said it was never an issue when I did this with the old Netgear and the same cable modem.

thanks

P.S. There isn’t even any NAT settings on the cable modem interface.

Options
2019-11-11 05:15:05

NBN2020 wrote

@MarkP1 

I’m trying to access the IP address of the VR600v. If the internet works then often the ip doesn’t. It just looks like it is loading but never does. Not even error message. Then if the IP works the internet often doesn’t. I did get both working at the same time but it didn’t stay working.

I changed the IP address of the VR600v from the default 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.130 

i.e. same format as the cable modem but outside of the cable modems DHCP range.

The cable modem is 192.168.0.1

There does not seem to be an option to put the cable modem into bridge mode and is not dedicated wan port.

I have done this kind of setup before and it was plug and play no changing setting and it just worked.

Internet > cable modem/router > Netgear modem/router > internet access via wifi/Ethernet

I can even chose wether to connect to cable modem or Netgear and both work. Internet, ip access everything just works and stays working but the TP-Link just doesn’t!

i will check if NAT is disabled. Wifi isn’t but as I said it was never an issue when I did this with the old Netgear and the same cable modem.

thanks

P.S. There isn’t even any NAT settings on the cable modem interface.

@NBN2020 

I'm confused, what's the router, TP-Link? I thought you had a Cisco cable modem, now you've got a netgear?

Options
2019-11-11 05:18:53

@MarkP1 

This is the setup I am trying to achieve:

Internet > Cisco Cable Modem/router > TP-Link VR600v...

This is the setup that has worked in the past with no need to change any settings:

Internet > Cisco Cable Modem/router > Netgear Modem/router...

Options
2019-11-11 05:28:04

NBN2020 wrote

@MarkP1 

This is the setup I am trying to achieve:

Internet > Cisco Cable Modem/router > TP-Link VR600v...

This is the setup that has worked in the past with no need to change any settings:

Internet > Cisco Cable Modem/router > Netgear Modem/router...

@NBN2020 

I think you're missing a step then, because the cisco cable modem must have some way of going into bridge mode, otherwise it's performing NAT and so is the TP-Link.

What's the model of the cisco and have you checked there's a way to use it in bridge mode. Yes, I know you said it was done before without any work from you but plugging it in, but I can't see how it could magically know this.

Options
2019-11-11 05:42:49

@MarkP1 

The Cable Modem is Cisco DPQ3925-X with Optus ISP firmware.

By the way I unplugged the Ethernet cable and plugged it back in to the WAN port on VR600v and now it seems to be working. I.e. When I login to the VR600v it shows status as internet access and bridge mode and I can access the internet through the VR600v so that is promising. 

I still can’t register any voip accounts on the VR600v. It just shows status x. Perhaps it is not possible to register VOIP when connected behind another router?

Thanks!

Options
2019-11-11 06:00:14

NBN2020 wrote

@MarkP1 

The Cable Modem is Cisco DPQ3925-X with Optus ISP firmware.

By the way I unplugged the Ethernet cable and plugged it back in to the WAN port on VR600v and now it seems to be working. I.e. When I login to the VR600v it shows status as internet access and bridge mode and I can access the internet through the VR600v so that is promising. 

I still can’t register any voip accounts on the VR600v. It just shows status x. Perhaps it is not possible to register VOIP when connected behind another router?

Thanks!

@NBN2020 

Yes it can. Make sure you can ping the registrar address (the sip of your provider).

However, I'm convinced you have double NAT in play. One on Cisco, one on TP-Link.

Refer here:

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2054388

Options
2019-11-11 07:05:48 - last edited 2019-11-11 07:19:39

@MarkP1 

Thanks for your help. I switched off wifi on Cisco, followed those steps and managed to change Cisco to bridge mode and reboot both routers... I thought this might be the solution but now internet does not work through the VR600v at all. I can connect to VR600v and login but that is it.

I have factory reset the Cisco so that I can get back my internet connection.

Thank you for your help but I have decided there is absolutely no point wasting any more time with this device. I will factory reset the VR6000v and return it to the shop. Never have I had so much trouble with any kind of network device in my lifetime.

I have just plugged the old Netgear back into the Cisco and it just works. I can connect to Netgear or Cisco Wi-Fi or ethernet and both internet and ip access work.

I even factory reset the Netgear to see if it still works after that..... and yes it still works plug and play into the Cisco... zero problems!

Thankyou for your help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2512

Replies: 17

Related Articles