Archer A7 low speed on gigabit connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer A7 low speed on gigabit connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
17 Reply
Re:Archer A7 low speed on gigabit connection
2019-11-15 01:25:45

@Kevin_Z 

Simplifying the network is not necessary.  Testing with A7 removed from configuration proves thast the network configuration (SANS a7) is capable of speed in the 700 - 800 Mbits.  Removing the gigabit switch will not change the result.  My link speed is 1 Gbit.

Please don't insult me with do nothing tests.  I'm a computer systems engineer with over 45 years experience and am very familiar with throughput testing.

Have you looked at the backup of my confiiguration that I sent you?  Do you have any suggestions as to what may be consuming bandwidth?  I believe that the router configuration is causing the bottleneck.  I would appreciate you evaluation of my configuration.  I'm using router features such as port forwarding, and FTP access to USB thumb drive.  Could these features impact router performance?

Google searches tell me that this is a common problem with TP-Link routers.  Hopefully we don't have to reinvent the wheel to fix it.  If the router is not capable of handling gigabit WAN to LAN speeds, just tell me and I'll replace the router with one that can.

Options
2019-11-15 02:37:27

@Kevin_Z 

One more thing.  You'll notice that all tests are IPv6.

Options
2019-11-15 16:02:21

@Kevin_Z 

First of all, my name isn't jason.

Second, I ran additional tests today and may have found a weakness in the A7 router.  Normally, I would expect the throughput of the IPv4 stack to be slower than the IPv6 stack.  So to confirm this, I disabled IPv6 in the router.  I then repeated the tests I performed yesterday with the same network config (mb8600 ---> A7 ---> switch ---> Intel i7 quadcore desktop).  I'm attaching the screen captures from these tests.

As you can see, the IPv4 stack is performing much better than the IPv6 stack.  This defies reason because the IPv4 stack requires NAT, which should reduce throughput.

My educated guess is that the A7 IPv6 stack is slow.  I'm not an expert in com stacks, but this is an area that TP-Link should work on if they intend to support gigabit internet connections.

File:
comcast ipv4_1.jpgDownload
Options
2019-11-15 16:02:38
File:
comcast ipv4_2.jpgDownload
Options
2019-11-15 16:02:49
File:
comcast ipv4_3.jpgDownload
Options
2019-11-15 16:06:56

@Kevin_Z 

Until TP-Link can resolve this performance deficiency, I'm going to continue operating with IPv6 disabled.

Options
2019-11-18 01:25:49

@jas00 

Thanks for your updates, to help you fix it, we would like to follow up your case via email.

Our engineer will email you later, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox.

Please wait a while until they reach out to you.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation in advance, and have a nice day 

Options