Do powerlines cause extra latency even with good speeds?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-23 18:25:29
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I have 1Gbps powerline adapters running between a SkyQ router and my PC, I get full speed on them 37down/7up (Utility says the max I can do with wiring is only 50 though anyway) and the ping seems fine if not completely stable.

The problem is playing online there is some strange latency in all games. You can always feel input lag and everything seems sluggish even though all the speeds and ping are good, so playing fps games is basically impossible. Is this just a side effect of the adapters with the quality of my home wiring?

Switching to Wifi it feels more fluid but I get constant huge ping spikes and dpc latency problems with the adapter so thats a no no.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Do powerlines cause extra latency even with good speeds?
2019-11-26 07:11:59

@Tonezz 

What is the model number of your powerline adapters? 

You can enable QoS via the tpPLC utility and setup higher priority for online games. 

May it help. 

Options
2020-07-11 10:39:50

@Kevin_Z I am experiencing this same problem as @Tonezz.  I'm using AV600 Powerline kit.  It has fantastic download and upload speeds, browsing the web, Youtube etc is all fine.  However, anything that requires constant two-way data transfer is so laggy it is close to unusable.  I have experienced it with Citrix Workspace and Google Meet.

I know that it is the Powerline extender causing this because when using a Chromebook next to the router in my lounge (WiFi not Ethernet) these things run incredibly smoothly.  However, on the same Chromebook when in my home office with the TL-WPA4220 (again, WiFi not Ethernet) I get the awful lag.

To explain the "lag" - in Google Meet, every five or six seconds it freezes completely for about a second, and then tries to catch up with itself.  It is the same in Citrix - every few seconds, there is a delay on my screen where nothing happens, and then it will catch up with itself after a second or so.  This might not sound like it would matter, but it has a really big effect when trying to create a PowerPoint or work in a spreadsheet.

And, to reiterate my second paragraph, it is absolutely definitely being on the Powerline router (TL-WPA4220) which causes this as everything else - equipment, software, set-up - is the same as when it runs perfectly directly off my broadband provider's router in the lounge.

A solution to this would help me massively.

Options
2020-07-13 07:06:08 - last edited 2020-07-13 07:12:00

@aelliott21 

Hello,

You can enable QoS via the tpPLC utility and set up a higher priority for the Internet.

Here is a FAQ you can refer to set up it:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1613/

If you move the powerline extender closer to your router, did you still have this issue?

If you only watch videos or search for something on the website, are you able to get a stable Internet?

Thank you for your cooperation and have a nice day!

Options
2021-02-13 14:04:01

Sorry for the dely in reply.. I forgot I had posted here and came to ask another question!

I have the utility on my PC and have found the QOS (I'm dubious if it will make a difference because there is never a conflict on my PC for the internet, like I won't be trying to watch video while playing an online game.).

Also I have seen you can turn the power saver off on them with it.

Do you have to have the utility open 24/7 for these changes to take effect or does it save the changes to the actual adapter?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8423

Replies: 4