Deco P9 - WiFi Issues, Intermittent Connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco P9 - WiFi Issues, Intermittent Connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
77 Reply
Re:Deco P9 - WiFi Issues, Intermittent Connection
2020-03-30 10:10:54

I am having a similar issue where clients are being disconnected but the Internet is still available.   I have 3 P9 Deco's, the type with a powerline backhaul, set-up as an access point to a Linksys router which I used to use for Wi-Fi, this is then linked to my Virgin hub.   I have multiple devices connected to the Linksys router via LAN cables one of these is a server which runs a minute by minute connection check to Google, it maintains access fine while the devices on WiFi drop out.   

How do I troubleshoot this?  The app is either unable to connect (because it can't get to TP-Link cloud) or showing everything is fine, it also has very few options for varying the set-up. 

Options
2020-04-01 22:57:40
Couldn't agree more. A complete waste of money. Hopefully amazon will accept them back as unfit for purpose. I have mine in access point mode. They work fine for a time, sometimes 12 hours, then devices start randomly reporting an inability to access the internet. The ridiculous app says all decos are fine. Devices with wired connections still access the internet with no problem but wifi devices either drop the wifi connection or remain connected but report internet access problems. The amazon firestick seems particularly vulnerable. I've tried with and without fast roaming and it makes no difference. Currently my amazon firestick says connected with problems , signal strength very strong. Two reboots have not fixed internet access. But, at the same time, this laptop I'm on has just run a speed test and reported 46Mb/s. Fifteen minutes ago the laptop couldn't connect to the internet despite being connected to the deco wifi. Down time can range from a minute to nearly an hour. These are just utter garbage and a waste of cash.
Options
Re:Deco P9 - WiFi Issues, Intermittent Connection-Solution
2020-04-02 02:05:44 - last edited 2020-04-02 02:05:50

@Peter__C 

Sorry for the inconvenience caused here. We can do some troubleshooting to locate it if you have not returned it to Amazon. 

For those who have the same issue, please help to get the details below: 

1. The current network diagram. And the operation mode of the Deco.

2. The led status of Deco when it stops working. And whether you can access internet from the modem when Deco stops working. 

3. Try to swap the location of the Deco units and you can switch the slave Deco to the main Deco to give it a shot. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2400/

4. You can assign a static IP for the clients or reserve an IP address on the Deco app. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1795/

5. Please ensure that the firmware is up to date.

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-04-02 17:10:16

@Kevin_Z 

Kevin, we have the same issues as described above. The product seems a little unstable and with the need to WFH now more than ever, the variable service is driving us all nuts. We have made the conclusion to return as well.

But in the spirit of trying to make it a better product one, here is a thought, 

• Could a device (s) on the power line, be introducing a jamming signal, so that the backhaul is getting disrupted? 

If so it would be a great config to turn off PLine as a means of service stability.

Not sure if this helps

J

Options
2020-04-02 17:30:12

@Kevin_Z 

Diagram

=======

Virgin media router in modem mode

|

Linksys router WiFi off, DMZ on 

- Server

- TV

- Printer

- NAS

| 

Deco P9  (main) in Access point mode

|   |

2x Decos

| | | | | | |

4x laptops, 3x desktops, 10x other devices

LED status = white

Swapping deco's done but no impact yet

Fixed IP doesn't work on access point mode, router mode won't allow clients to access server or printer

Firmware is 1.0.2 which the app says is up to date.

The server is showing a live internet connection whenever the clients can connect to Wifi but not to the internet (or the linksys router)

Options
2020-04-02 19:52:14

@Kevin_Z 

1. The current network diagram. And the operation mode of the Deco.

- [Virgin Media] -X- [Hub 3.0 Router] --- [Lan Cable] --- [Deco P9 - Access Point mode] --- [Wifi]

- Main Deco is in AP mode

2. The led status of Deco when it stops working. And whether you can access internet from the modem when Deco stops working. 

- LED on main unit is solid Red

3. Try to swap the location of the Deco units and you can switch the slave Deco to the main Deco to give it a shot. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2400/

4. You can assign a static IP for the clients or reserve an IP address on the Deco app. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1795/

- Some devces have static IP's but drop out, its not the device thats the issue but the main Deco, using to App to reboot it resolves the problem for a few hours.

5. Please ensure that the firmware is up to date.

- App says that the devices are up to date : 1.0.4 Build 20191119 Rel. 66543

I think the problem is with the firmware, I am awaiting the next release, can you confirm when that will be ?

thanks.

Options
2020-04-02 23:45:04

Network topology!  Well this is my setup and is probably the same as most.

tp p9 wired to router.

2 further p9’s

ap mode with Wifi follow mode off. Or whatever it’s called. It won’t turn on anyway.

guest network is off.

all p9s have a white light and app says all ok

master p9 to router has tv and sky box hard wired.

second p9 has has a tv and Xbox hard wired to it.

third p9 has a pc and a Philips hue hard wired to it.

on WiFi I have...

4 Sonos devices

4 iPhone xr’s

a google home mini

2 ipads

2 laptops

1 now tv box

2 hive central heating and water thermostats

1 hp printer ( which was a nightmare because it seemed to inherit a tp deco name when initially connected to WiFi and I had to manually change the device name after setup - why on earth the device name changed on the printer itself I have no idea)

This is Not just a WiFi problem. From time to time my network cable attached devices also lose internet connection.  And it gets better.. one device might lost internet, e.g Philips hue bridge while the PC wired to the same device continues to have a connection.  The hue is a nightmare because from time to time the bridge is not contactable to control the lighting.  As for WiFi connected devices it’s pot luck. Sometimes a device, any device, and it’s completely random, drops connection to the internet.  iPhone when browsing or using a weather app or news app. Google home loses connection. Laptop. Sonos even which is painful when streaming music or radio.  There is no pattern.  

so it’s a simple question I have really, can I arrange to have these p9’s replaced with a different mesh network model please and how do I go about arranging that?

Thank you.

Options
2020-04-06 08:25:24

Hi @Kevin_Z ,

I would also like to know how best to get a return organised for my Deco P9 on 28 November 2019 from Amazon. My return window has closed through Amazon and my story is exactly the same as the stories above and with the recent WFH for my whole family, it sadly just isn't stable enough. With various devices like Sonos players, ipads, TVs, thermostat etc.

With frequent conference calls, both my wife and I attempting to work from home with kids also using tablets for work and tv, it just doesn't work, I must get about 30 new device connected messages every day, multiple drop outs of internet throughout the day. I don't have time to diagnose and track down issues with the extremely limited tooling that is available, so the easiest thing to do it to return the item to TP-link.

Could you let me know how best to do this? 

Thanks

Chris

Options
2020-04-06 10:10:28

@Support 

Hello,

Is anyone from support lookin into these matters!? Last email from TP-Link was thursday with questions and suggestions that have been answered. Can you please give an update today?

many thanks. 

Options
2020-04-07 07:56:41

@JR4 

@Support 

I am having similar issues to the people in this thread.  I will attempt to describe my own particular situation;

My network is as follows

internet

|

BT Router (DHCP and Gateway,  Wifi turned off)

|

Deco P9 (main) <--> Deco P9. <--> Deco P9 .... etc

My Deco P9 system is set in Access Point mode so the BT Router does all the DHCP and IP routing from outside.  I have fast roaming turned OFF.

I have various devices that use the WiFi in the house including PC and MAC computers,  iPhones,  Smart TVs etc

For the most part everything behaves itself OK.  Here's the issues I have...

1) If I turn on the fast roaming then I have Philips android TV's  in my kids rooms that won't connect in that mode.

2) Periodically the TV's will disconnect and have to be fully powered off and back on to re-connect.

3) We have a PC that won't connect to the Deco in one part of the house.  It will roam around OK and gets internet OK on the main P9,  however,  when connected to the other P9 devices the PC sees the WiFi OK but reports it does not have internet.  Other devices connected to the same P9 work OK.   Resetting or power cycling the PC has not effect.  I've also tried 'forgetting' the Wifi and re-joining.  Not joy with that PC

What do you suggest I do to try to debug these issues?  I'm out of ideas?

thanks

TIm

Options
Related Articles