Deco M9 Plus v2 firmware not possible to update and are missing features compared to v1

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9 Plus v2 firmware not possible to update and are missing features compared to v1

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
354 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus v2 firmware not possible to update and are missing features compared to v1
2020-07-08 00:15:43

@Robert_M 

I previously upgraded successfully to the 1.4 beta using the old upgrade tool and today upgraded successfully to the official 1.4 using the latest tool. Some tips:

1) Make sure the upgrade tool (. exe file) and the upgrade ROM (. bin file) are in the same directory. I copied them both to C: for simplicity. 

2) Run the upgrade tool in Windows 8 compatibility mode if you're using Windows 10 (I have seen 2 reports of upgrade problems with Windows 10.Lucky nobody uses that, right?). To do this, right click on the. exe file and choose "Properties". Then go to the "Compatibility" tab and set to Windows 8. Don't bother to test, just set to Windows 8.

3) Right click on the. exe file and choose "Run as administrator". 

4) Follow the included directions. 

Above worked for me with one exception. On the 1st go-around, the new upgrade utility, unlike the old, did not specify which Deco unit would be upgraded (I have 3: Main and 2 satellites).  It upgraded the 2 satellites and left the main with the beta 1.4 firmware I started with. I probably could have just run it again to get the Main unit upgraded. But to be sure, I unplugged the satellites on the 2nd go-around and got the Main unit upgraded. 

I left for a vacation soon after so I can't say much about the functionality of the new firmware. But I verified that the Deco app on my cell phone  works and web access using 192.168.x.1:30000 (where x=your specified IP address digit) also works for accessing the Deco setup. I tried all sections briefly and they all seemed OK. 

I will follow up when I have had a chance to really use the new setup if I have problems or issues. Good luck! 

Options
Re:Deco M9 Plus v2 firmware not possible to update and are missing features compared to v1
2020-07-08 05:55:57

@Robert_M Try to connect your node to your computer and try again, as far as I can see it's a fault in network communication :) so it can either not reach your node, or has a crappy connection to it...

If not then I don't know, maybe TP-Link could at least give some support to these devices, which I believe to have received their final upgrade (don't think they are going to release another update to a product which is unable to update itself)...

Options
2020-07-08 16:17:08

Upgrade of third node finally succeeded (with the old command tool). Needed to reset the main deco and the old one - then upgrade was okay.

Options
2020-07-08 21:53:33

@e3henri 

I tried to update, but gave an invalid username or password.

I have 1 Archer c9 router and a Deco M9 plus.

I have always liked TP-Link products, these problems I am having to update the Deco M9 plus make me angry at everything.

Options
2020-07-08 21:53:48
I tried to update, but gave an invalid username or password. I have 1 Archer c9 router and a Deco M9 plus. I have always liked TP-Link products, these problems I am having to update the Deco M9 plus make me angry at everything.
Options
2020-07-08 22:17:45
Good to know. So much searching because the tool Deco M9 Plus Assistant that I downloaded from the site does not work, says that the wrong username or password, I ended up on this forum. I deposited that I noticed the difficulty to update this firmware. I honestly gave up, I don't know why I keep insisting. I will retire the Deco M9 and buy products from these brands. But first I will search, because if I had seen this forum before buying, I would not have bought it.
Options
2020-07-08 22:20:28

@e3henri 

Good to know. So much searching because the tool Deco M9 Plus Assistant that I downloaded from the site does not work, says that the wrong username or password, I ended up on this forum. I deposited that I noticed the difficulty to update this firmware. I honestly gave up, I don't know why I keep insisting. I will retire the Deco M9 and buy products from these brands. But first I will search, because if I had seen this forum before buying, I would not have bought it.

Options
2020-07-16 03:23:56

@Fausto879 

Hello, sorry to respond late. Ensure you are tagging a TP-Link Admin if you want a timely response. Unless we are tagged we do not see that new responses have been added. We do not subscribe to every thread so rely on Tagging to ensure responses.

If you failed to upgrade the firmware of your Deco M9 Plus V2, please kindly try this below beta Upgrade Tool:

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202007/20200713/M9Plus_2.0_upgrade_tool_v1.1.1_win32.zip

Thanks.

Options
2020-07-16 21:25:29

@CoolHand00 

Follow-up:

So after using the new v 1.4 firmware for a week there have been no issues at all. The Deco app works fine and connecting in a browser via 192.168.x.1:30000 also works well with my original login info. Internet down-upload speeds from Comcast have been at my plan's max- 120 (down) - 20 (up) Mbps throughout my ~4000 sq ft house, with a few isolated weaker spots. 

I must confess that I have shared the frustration and anger of many others in this forum with the repeated delays in releasing version 1.4 of the firmware, Covid or no Covid. I would appreciate improved software functionality similar to what TP Link, Netgear and Linksys provide with their standard, non-mesh routers. I would also love to assign the Deco satellites (nodes?) static IP's, and assign certain peripherals to a specific fixed Deco unit, among other things. However the basic functionality is present (address reservation, port forwarding, QOS, simple parental controls, etc) and the built-in Trend Micro antivirus appears to play nicely with my installed Norton software package. I must admit that with the Deco M9 Plus I have fast, reliable service throughout my house with none of the issues of frequent disconnects/reboots and super slow speeds distant from the actual router unit that occurred with my previous Netgear R8000. I have not yet even begun to explore the Zigbee-Home Automation-IFTTT features; that will be my next step.

The bottom line is that for me, the Deco M9 Plus simply works. I hope that TP-Link continues to support and update it; it would be quite sad and disappointing if they simply abandon it for updating as many on this forum seem to be afraid will happen.

Options
2020-07-16 22:35:12

Were on earth is the upgrade utility, if any one could point it out i would be greatfull.

Options
Related Articles