Changing 5Ghz bands for different region

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Changing 5Ghz bands for different region

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
26 Reply
Re:Changing 5Ghz bands for different region-Solution
2020-09-15 09:39:06 - last edited 2020-09-22 01:32:24

Hello all, sorry to respond late.

We have already noted all of your requests about choosing the wireless channels manually on the Deco system and they have been forwarded to the developers, they will publish new official firmware in the near future, not too long to wait, which will optimize the current channeling picking mechanism, it is suggested to wait for the new updates and confirm if that will help address any of your concerns.

I will try to explain why we don't give the Deco administrator the permission to manually choose a channel on the current Deco system, which may not precise but I will try my best:

Firstly, we need to clarify that the wireless channels on the current Deco firmware are not manually configurable as Deco automatically selects a 2.4GHz channel to use based on what it sees around it, selecting the channel that has the least interference. The 5GHz channel appears to be configured based on the region the device was manufactured for use in and they are apparently not auto-selected and are definitely not manually configurable.

Secondly, we need to reiterate what is the point of having a whole mesh Wi-Fi system in your network. The whole point of mesh networks is to give a seamless, unfettered, and performant experience for wireless networking, and thus a mesh network is "self-configuring" and "self-healing", the network automatically incorporates a new node into the existing structure without needing any adjustments manually by a network administrator and it automatically finds the fastest and most reliable paths to send data. If you change the wireless channel on the Deco nodes manually, it may give you the risk of losing the other Deco nodes and thus ruin your Deco system, you may need to start over again to reconfigure them.

What's more, it is not always easy to choose a clear wireless channel in your networks, you may need to test with all of them in order to find one that may be usable. Most importantly, crowded isn’t the same as busy, even though some channel scanning apps tell you one specific channel is busy, they don’t always measure other sources of congestion and interference. Non-Wi-Fi signals (like those from microwaves, Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, garage door openers, baby monitors, etc.) can all congest a channel but may not show up in a scan. So it’s possible that a channel can appear empty, while it is, in fact, saturated with other kinds of interference. 

Last but not least, other mesh systems such as Google Wi-Fi mesh (update here that Netgear Orbi is not the same mesh as Deco, Orbi is more like a router + an RE, so if we misunderstood it previously, we are sorry for that), don't allow users to change the channel manually either, which means when developing a mesh system, our developers have already taken all factors into serious consideration and choose the current one, the current Deco mesh system may not be perfect or even good, but we don't think it's just that awful or nonusable as some of you thought. If we need or we must do this change to allow you to change the channel, it will require a lot of research in the market and it is not that easy just like you said "just open the option", I think most users like you guys should understand it.

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Changing 5Ghz bands for different region
2020-10-03 15:51:03
I need this FW in Bangladesh. i am facing the same issue. how to get it? And how to install it?
Options
2020-12-04 17:10:23

@LKeb Yes, indeed - I agree.   I recently tested a Tenda mw3 three unit mesh system and found it doesn't support WPA2-EAS encryption whereas the TP-Link mesh system do support it (with recent firmware updates).    That's why I returned the Tenda kit and bought a Deco e4 kit.  HOWEVER, from a frequency planning point I see that with the Tenda mesh system each unit used different frequencies in the 2.4GHz band (something like 1, 6, 11) - I think it does some measuring to choose the best channel for each unit.   However, all three units just used the same 5GHz channel (cannot remember which one).  TP-Link can make a difference by improving its firmware with mesh system.  Frequency planning is a critical thing when it comes to providing optimal quality, i.e. throughput.  Even if its automatic planning, fine, but why just dumb firmware not detecting cleanest frequencies....?

LKeb wrote

After much searching, I finally bought a 3-pack of M5s.  I probably wouldn't have, though, if I'd known that I'd be locked in to whatever channel the router would choose.  It seems that this limitation has irritated users for quite a while, but TP-Link appears to be dragging its feet on a solution.  Is it really so difficult, or maybe just inertia, or are the sales good enough that they don't feel a need to devote the resources to fix the problem?  It's disappointing!

Options
2021-04-01 20:45:52

Hi, I live in Argentina.

We here can use the following frecuencies.

• 5150 – 5250 MHz
  • 5250 – 5350 MHz
  • 5470 – 5600 MHz
  • 5650 – 5725 MHz
  • 5725 – 5850 MHz

I need the updated firmware.

Thanks

Demian

Options
2021-04-07 05:55:39

@depe_arg 

Hi, the Deco E4 is already on the latest firmware 1.4.3

And currently, it is only supported band1(channel 36-48 or 5150 – 5250 MHz), not the rest of them;

Is there any specific reason that you want to use all the 5Ghz frequencies?

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-05-04 22:36:13

@TP-Link_Deco Just installed the AC1200 Deco S4 that I received today and stumbled on to this forum post. Frankly I am disappointed to find out that I being the owner of this mesh system don't have admin access and cannot configure the way I see fit. Will returning this item later today.

Options
2021-05-04 22:42:31
Hi TP-Link Thanks for answer. Because I am having interference from another Deco from neighbors. I like buy a netflix subscription to only see 1 movie :o Regards.
Options
2021-05-20 12:26:28

@TP-Link_Deco 

This is a reasonable and fair explanation. I would like to see the ability to schedule a task to perform the network optimization on a daily/weekly basis (e.g.; schedule the task to take place every day at 2:00am).

Options
2021-06-16 02:22:15

@TP-Link_Deco   Hi. I have the same issue. I use 3 units of Deco m5 V2; US. It operates on channel 44; however all my xiaomi phones are not able to detect this channel 44. Iphone/IPAd is OK. How can I get access to this firmware to, so that I can change from channel 44 to channel 149 and above?

I have tested it with my old Tplink Archer C1200; where I can manually set it to channel 149 and above; and all my Xiaomi phones work.

Options
2021-06-16 05:43:04

@Xinseo hi Xinseo. Would you be able to share this firmware with me. I have a Deco m5 too and have this same problem with some devices not being able to connect on the lower channels

Options
Related Articles