Password for TP link is not the same as for wireless router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-14 13:01:28 - last edited 2021-05-06 09:40:52
Model: Range Extender  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

The network is linked as expected, with the network name plus _EXT however the password is NOT the same and hence we cannot connect on any device or access anything online as suggested by the user manual.  Just keeps telling us the password is incorrect. HELP?  Not used a device like this before, not very technical and rather hoped it was plug and play as described in the sales stuff!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Password for TP link is not the same as for wireless router-Solution
2021-05-06 09:38:30 - last edited 2021-12-02 10:55:13

Hello everyone, 
Thank you all for providing feedback here, we have an instruction that may help resolve'extender password is not the same as wireless router' or  ' wireless devices unable to connect to Wi-Fi extender' concern , please check out thread here for details:
[Troubleshooting]  Unable to Connect to WiFi Extender Saying Incorrect Password

Feel free to comment in the above thread and let us know if that works for you. 
Thank you.

Recommended Solution
Options
13 Reply
Re:Password for TP link is not the same as for wireless router
2019-12-14 15:15:07

@mustbnuts I have the same issue

Options
2019-12-14 17:30:23

@anskarius i too have the same problem..... my RE200 connects perfectly with the ethernet cable but not via wifi

Options
2019-12-17 06:34:21 - last edited 2019-12-17 06:35:30

@mustbnuts @anskarius 

What is the model number of the extender? And how many leds are on now and what are they? 

To setup the extender, the wifi password must be the same one as the main router's wifi. 

You can forget this extender network and reconnect to it with the same password. 

Still the same, you can reset and reconfigure it to give it a go. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-12-17 06:36:56

@mbsb56 

Try to forget the extender network and reconnect to it with the same password. 

Still the same, please connect your computer to the RE200 by wired cable and login to the web UI of the RE200;

Then try to update the firmware if it is not the latest one. 

Besides, you can hard reset to give it a go. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-12-18 17:23:45

@Kevin_Z sorry but tht doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I want to connect to the extender network to extend the range of my wifi.  I have no issue connecting to my actual wifi - except limited rang in some parts of house - hence buying extender. Its an RE200 v 3. Currently 3 LEDS are on - WPS, power and signal and all are green.  My devices can see the ext network but when I try to log in it rejects the password - my wifi password and router password are identical and have not been changed since router supplied.  I'm not especially technical so need simple instructions to connect - sales blurb and installation guide says it should be pretty much plug and play - its not.

Options
2019-12-19 06:05:19

@mustbnuts 

From the light status, it seems that the RE200 has not been configured successfully as a range extender. The signal light should be on, as well as the 2.4GHz/5GHz. 

Try to reset it by holding the reset hole for 1 s with the extender powered on and reconfigure it.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/re200/v3/#video

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1400/

Note: This time, try to login to the web UI of the RE200 to configure it with the main router's wifi password. 

And please ensure that the current firmware is up to date. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-08-29 21:11:41 - last edited 2020-08-29 21:17:57

@Kevin_Z 

I have similar issue. I managed to connect my RE205 extender to the HOME wifi (archer mr600) with OneMesh. Another HOME network appeared with a different password. I can see and connect to both devices through a teather app on my phone (im connected to the main wifi), but cannot change any settings since they are in a onemesh mode. I see the extender using 13 digit WEP as wifi password, while my main router is on WPA.

I was expecting to see only one wifi network that seamlessly switches access points. What am I doing wrong?

Options
2020-08-30 08:58:55

@Baq_pl 

Good day.

Sorry for the delay.

Can I have a picture that the extender using 13 digit WEP as Wi-Fi password, while my main router is on WPA?

By the way, with the different encryption type, can you get the seamless OneMesh network?

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-10-13 12:20:09

@mustbnuts Hello did you ever get your wi fi password sorted. I have the same problems as you,set up fine but when l put my router password in it says invalid.

Maggie

Options
2020-10-14 01:46:23

@Mags12 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Sorry for the delay.

Was your model number RE200?

Did you set up RE200 via WPS button?

If yes, please try to reset the RE200, and configure it again via Tether App or web interface;

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1373/

If you already set up via Tether or Web UI, please fetch a computer and connect it via Ethernet cable to RE200;

Then log in the web UI via http://tplinkrepeater.net ;

After that, go to settings>wireless>host network to check the Wi-Fi password;

Thanks a lot.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 15786

Replies: 13