Deco M5 Signal Source

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 Signal Source

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
40 Reply
Re:Deco M5 Signal Source
2020-06-16 00:05:30

@Jack2222 

Interesting, just got the Deco M9 Plus 3 pack and having the same issue. The 3rd unit won't select the 2nd unit for a better signal source. Instead its choosing the furtherest away main one. Probably just going to run 2 for now and then possibly return them when something better comes out.

Options
2020-06-16 02:33:57

linkadink wrote

@Jack2222 

Interesting, just got the Deco M9 Plus 3 pack and having the same issue. The 3rd unit won't select the 2nd unit for a better signal source. Instead its choosing the furtherest away main one. Probably just going to run 2 for now and then possibly return them when something better comes out.

Wondering how long something has to be "in development" before people either giving up on the product or calling the statement for what it is.

@linkadink 

Options
2020-12-15 23:17:26

@Plagmar 

Almost 2021 and we are still waiting for a solution for this, I just bought my Deco M5 and I am suffering with the problem, I ended up finding this post here on the forum.

Unfortunate.

Options
2020-12-15 23:22:37

@GabrielDoZap I managed to solve it momentarily. Someone recommended powering down all of them, powering up the two that you want connected then the remaiing one(s). Worked fine until a power outage then it reverted back to the one in the garage unit connecting to the main, furthest away.

Would be really nice if this was addressed, as promised.

Options
2021-01-17 11:19:42 - last edited 2021-01-17 11:20:33

Yep exact same issue, purchased a Deco M9+ 3-pack few weeks ago. The furthest one has a direct line of sight (about 12 meters) to the middle one, which uses ethernet backhaul to connect to the main one (which is almost directly above). And yet, it will insist on always connecting to the main one, which is at the exact opposite side of the house and one floor apart, instead of the one with direct line of sight.

My understanding is that APS will always prioritize the main device as long as it has a workable signal, instead of any intermediate device with better signal strength ?

Options
2021-01-17 15:55:24

Vonwen wrote

Yep exact same issue, purchased a Deco M9+ 3-pack few weeks ago. The furthest one has a direct line of sight (about 12 meters) to the middle one, which uses ethernet backhaul to connect to the main one (which is almost directly above). And yet, it will insist on always connecting to the main one, which is at the exact opposite side of the house and one floor apart, instead of the one with direct line of sight.

My understanding is that APS will always prioritize the main device as long as it has a workable signal, instead of any intermediate device with better signal strength ?

@Vonwen This suggestion worked for a while until we had a power bump.
"you can power off the main Deco and turn on the other 2 Decos only and then you can turn the main Deco on once the third one connects to the second one"

It's ridiculous that this has been an issue for so long and they've apparently been working on a fix all this time with zero results. Maybe they should be recalled and money refunded?

Options
2021-01-17 17:01:49

@Plagmar Yeah I tried that this afternoon. It did connect the furthest device to the correct one... for few hours.

I just checked again, and it's now connected again to the main device (with no power cut of any kind in-between). As I have an ethernet cable for the backhaul between the main device and the middle one, I'll probably switch them and connect the cable to my ISP's router instead of the Deco, but that's quite a hack.

Options
2021-04-14 15:19:18

@Vonwen Did this work for you? I'm having this issue with my M5's. I can't swap them to test this method right now because everyone is online.

Vonwen wrote

@Plagmar Yeah I tried that this afternoon. It did connect the furthest device to the correct one... for few hours.

I just checked again, and it's now connected again to the main device (with no power cut of any kind in-between). As I have an ethernet cable for the backhaul between the main device and the middle one, I'll probably switch them and connect the cable to my ISP's router instead of the Deco, but that's quite a hack.

Options
2021-04-14 15:44:43

@Paulinthious It did, again it's a hack, I just used the Ethernet cable I intended to use as backhaul between the main device and the satellite to connect it to my ISP's router, so it became the main one (and the former main device is now a satellite, with a Wifi backhaul). As it's located in a middle position in the house, there is no more problem.

There were some firmware updates few weeks ago, not sure if it did change anything here, I didn't try again.

Options
2021-05-13 04:29:28

Amazing. A mesh network which does not work as a mesh network. Last time I buy anything from tp link.

Options
Related Articles