Votes

Having to run Kasa and Tapo app for different devices

Votes

Having to run Kasa and Tapo app for different devices

107 Reply
Re:Having to run Kasa and Tapo app for different devices
2020-12-13 09:46:36 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@InvisibleTouch 

Another customer left in limbo. I've been a tp-link user for years and am heavily invested in the original Kasa app. So until you can get them on the same app I won't be parting with any moreof my hard earned money.

Suppose there's no chance of getting Apple integration anytime?

Options
2021-01-04 23:16:28 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

Hey guys, I have good news laugh

So Tp-Link has two product lines for smart home Kasa and recently Tapo

For segmentation reasons, they decided to create two different apps, which can be a bit annoying for daily use but that has changed with Watt.

Now you can use "Watt for Smart Devices" to control both product lines. I hope you guys like the app :)

This app ONLY exists for iOS

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/watt-for-smart-devices/id1465004830

enlightened BONUS: using Watt you can use voice commands, the Siri, on your Tapo devices

By the way guys Watt is a third-party app and is not affiliated or supported by tp-link, the app was built just to try out to get the best out of the smart devices

"Watt for Smart Devices" made with ♡ for the TP-link IoT community https://watt-app.com/ (just for iOS/iPad and MacOS)
Options
2021-01-04 23:21:48 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@Watt_iOS_App Very cool, addressing a pain-point, I like it!  I'm full Android personally but I appreciate the effort.  I'll definitely give it a look when you've got the Android port.  Cheers!

Options
2021-01-05 15:42:34 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

So close yet so far! 

Doesn't matter anyway as I have replaced all my tplink stuff with recoditioned nest cameras off Ebay with the  money I made from selling my old tplink stuff. They're really good.

Options
2021-01-19 09:54:08 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@InvisibleTouch 

Thankfully I read this just before purchasing tapo products. I fully expected to be able to control it from my KASA app.

I will now re-think and try to get another brand - or one that responds to generic home automation protocols.

I can't understand why they have decided to alienate their existing customer base! 

Now, an ex- tp-link customer.

Options
2021-01-28 18:31:02 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@Kevin_Z 

This is not made clear when actually buying the product.

I have existing TP-Link Tapo smart plugs and recently purchased a TP-Link power strip to go with them.

Now that I have spent a lot of time moving wires, plugs and furniture around I have set up the devices and found I need a separate Kasa App.

Sorry - but this is a sh1t-show.

Options
2021-05-16 03:33:48 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

I've just been looking for some additional Kasa plugs on Amazon UK and it's looking like Kasa is being phased out in favour of Tapo.

If you want a Kasa then it's Amazon marketplace only as Amazon themselves don't seem to stock Kasa.

If so then that makes a combined app more urgent.

Options
2021-06-30 08:23:04 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@Kevin_Z 

This is not a solution. It is poor experience and is indeed a reason for refunds like some people are actually doing. I lost my respect for TP Link quality and customer support.

Stating the obvious that two different apps have to be used (but the same account 🙄) is NOT offering anything new to people asking WHY that is the case. Those two product lines can very well be supported by one app and this should have been the answer and the plan for the company!

You should CLEARLY state that the product integrates with the Tapo ecosystem and NOT Kasa, so that customers don't get mislead by vague statements in the website like someone mentioned in this thread.

Options
2021-07-01 01:57:11 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@v_a_s_i_l_y  Hello, 

Actually Tapo is relative new product line and its software development and app are designed by a different team, combining two apps isn't the plan when tapo is designed. You would see the function sections are quite different on Kasa and Tapo apps, and the detailed feature differentiated especially on Tapo and Kasa cameras. 

For the advertising on tp-link website, Tapo is on a different classification, owns a  new Logo, has the guidance downloading Tapo app on Overview page. If the retailer advertising is not clear enough or vague, please help share the link and we will try to make that more clear. 

We could understand users owns two products prefer to use the same app for management convenience, while combing two apps isn't a very easy task and so far I'm afaid there isn't an existing project for the app combination,  thank you for every suggestion, we will record and forward your feedback to related team for further evaluation. 

Options
2021-07-09 15:04:32 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@JVazCarvalho absolutely agree. I have made a huge commitment to to-link and Kasa. I planned to keep building on this. Now it seems they have made the Kasa system redundant.

very annoying to read the poor reply about being 2 different systems - we get that !!! It's what we are so angry about. Just returning a tp-link purchase and it will be my last. !!

Options

Voters 34

+ 30 Voters