TL-WPA4220 looses internet connectivity after few days of uptime

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-WPA4220 looses internet connectivity after few days of uptime

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
43 Reply
Re:TL-WPA4220 looses internet connectivity after few days of uptime
2020-05-06 15:27:24 - last edited 2020-05-08 17:39:55

I will also be surprised if this is a hardware issue. My experience in using the product seems to suggest a bug with V4_190326 firmware.

Here's a direct link to the TL-WPA4220(EU)_V4_180308 firmware I installed, which seemed to resolve all of the problems I was having:

TL-WPA4220(EU)_V4_180308

The above file is for hardware version 4 and European regions only. For regions outside the EU, older firmware can usually be found on the TL-WPA4220KIT download page. The same TL-WPA4220 product is included as part of the kit.

Options
2020-05-06 15:36:55

@MK86 spoke to TP-Link support and they advised me to downgrade my firmware to 4.0.2 Build 20180308 Rel.37064, which can be found here - https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/tl-wpa4220kit/#Firmware and download TL-WPA4220(EU)_V4_180308.

They said to do this via the web interface and not the TP-Link Utility and use a cabled connection to the Power Line Adapter and not wireless.

I have just downgraded it and it is working, so going to monitor for the next couple of days and will let you know.

Options
2020-05-07 10:25:46 - last edited 2020-05-07 10:32:00

Hey guys,

I'm here just to follow up with you all on this issue.

First @RagDaz, to answer your question - when I configured static IP I also reserved that IP in the routing table on router, so there wouldn't be the chance of any conflict. I guess that answers your question.

I guess the only solution to be is downgrading to previous version of software as many suggest. Unfortunately I cannot try this and confirm here yet as I haven't got to go to my parent's house where this issue is occuring. Once I do (hopefully sometime soon after all Covid-19 and other various reasons) I'll downgrade devices and then run them to see if they behave properly. 

Will update you all then.

Options
2020-05-08 07:23:54

Hi All

I stumbled on this thread after Googling my current symptoms with the TL-WPA4220.

After many months of being stable, my device has started to lose connection after a few days and needs to be switched off and on again to restore it. Not the end of the world but annoying nevertheless. 

After reading this thread I just logged into my plug with the intention of downgrading the firmware but I already have the version that its been recommended to use.

Not sure why after so many months of being fine, its now developed a problem. no

Options
2020-05-08 17:37:44

@Glenmore

When your TL-WPA4220 loses connectivity are you able to access the web interface, either via wi-fi or using a direct ethernet connection? On each occasion my device crashed it was to the point where the web interface would no longer load and LEDs were 'frozen' in their previous state. Connecting directly to an ethernet port showed no change of LED status (ethernet status LED remained off), although I could still ping the device.

If you haven't done so already, maybe try connecting to the web interface via a direct ethernet connection, back up your settings, perform a factory reset, overwrite firmware with the same TL-WPA4220(EU)_V4_180308 version, then restore your back-up.

Of course there could be other factors involved here. The only other change to my network set-up to coincide with downgrading firmware to V4_180308 was that my router (BT Smart Hub 6) automatically updated its own firmware a couple of days later. That was beyond my control and not ideal from a fault-finding perspective because I can't be 100% certain that downgrading the TL-WPA4220 resolved the issue. Could the router itself cause a powerline adapter to crash and why did it only crash every 6 or 7 days? It reached the point where I could usually predict the exact day/hour it was going to happen. There was no change in router configuration apart from the firmware update.

Options
2020-05-08 19:30:52

@MK86 thought I would post an update since I downgraded the firmware, powerline adapter is still working on wireless/ethernet and is stable (so far), connection hasn't dropped like before, so it is looking likely it's the latest firmware with my powerline as this was a daily occurance.

Ran some speed tests and gettings around 52Mbps download and 15Mbps upload (wireless), my BT connection is 79Mbps down and 20Mbps up, so happy with those speeds on the powerline adapter. These speeds are also consistent with my AV500 powerline adapter, get the same down and up.

Just for reference I also have a BT Smart Hub 6.

Options
2020-05-08 20:49:01

@videodrome 

I haven't tried to access the web utlitlity - I will next time. LED's seem to show the right status rather than frozen - I think its the middle LED that goes out (is that the Powerline one?).

It guess it could be the router (Virgin Media Hub 3.0), my Wi-Fi printer seems to lose connection to the router after a number of days but that's a Wi-Fi connection so a different situation.

Its not a massive issue, when it happens I just power cycle the plug and is fine. It would obviously be preferable if it just stayed connected though smiley

videodrome wrote

@Glenmore

When your TL-WPA4220 loses connectivity are you able to access the web interface, either via wi-fi or using a direct ethernet connection? On each occasion my device crashed it was to the point where the web interface would no longer load and LEDs were 'frozen' in their previous state. Connecting directly to an ethernet port showed no change of LED status (ethernet status LED remained off), although I could still ping the device.

If you haven't done so already, maybe try connecting to the web interface via a direct ethernet connection, back up your settings, perform a factory reset, overwrite firmware with the same TL-WPA4220(EU)_V4_180308 version, then restore your back-up.

Of course there could be other factors involved here. The only other change to my network set-up to coincide with downgrading firmware to V4_180308 was that my router (BT Smart Hub 6) automatically updated its own firmware a couple of days later. That was beyond my control and not ideal from a fault-finding perspective because I can't be 100% certain that downgrading the TL-WPA4220 resolved the issue. Could the router itself cause a powerline adapter to crash and why did it only crash every 6 or 7 days? It reached the point where I could usually predict the exact day/hour it was going to happen. There was no change in router configuration apart from the firmware update.

Options
2020-05-11 09:51:06

@kamaka

kamakazi999 wrote

@LennyK thanks for the link, will give it a go.

I have also been speaking to TP-Link support on chat and they are going to do some testing with the firmware and they did offer a RMA on the adapter, but I am not conviced that this is a hardware issue.

Defoe I ordeed another extender to help with black spot in son's bedroom and yes the same thing happened within a day of setting up it was disconnecting for no reason I rolled back the firmware on this one as well and now they are constantly connected!

Options
2020-05-11 11:20:49

Just a quick update, since downgrading the firmware my powerline adapter has been rock solid and the connectivity to the internet has not dropped. So, it definately looks like an issue with the latest firmware version. I will go back to support and give them an update, but TP-Link needs to sort this out.

Options
2020-06-11 15:45:20

Same here. Version 4.0.3 after 3/4 days loss conectivity. After downgrading to 4.0.2 no issues.

Options