Switch losing connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Switch losing connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Switch losing connection
Switch losing connection
2020-01-05 23:05:07
Model: TL-SG1024D  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I've connected my SG1024D to my Virgin Hub 3.0 router. I'm noticing that after a period of time (has varied from 30 mins to over a day), the switch is losing connection. If I plug the cable going from the router to the switch directly to my laptop, the connection if fine. I've not been able to identify if there's a specific device causing this. I've tried swapping cables and plugging the input from the router into different ports on the switch but the problem remains. The connection comes back after rebooting the switch. The router is set to DHCP and the lease time is set to 1 hour. Any ideas? Thanks

Options
15 Reply
Re:Switch losing connection
2020-01-09 09:25:33

@Paul3614 

Hello, please follow the instruction below to locate this issue and provide us the test results.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/738/

Good day. 

Options
2020-01-27 15:58:32
Paul did you find a fix? I have a similar issue, I have a Virgin Hub 3.0 router and a TL-SG1016DE. The switch is slightly different but the same symptoms with the disconnections etc. I have some management features on my switch, no setting seems to stop the disconnections though. The uplink port stops talking to the VM router. Cant ping it etc. Only way to get it working again is to reboot the switch. If i connect an intermediate switch to the router and daisy chain this TP link switch to the other switch, it works perfectly. Not sure if a firmware update on the VM Hub may help us.
Options
2020-01-27 22:32:50

@Ian_D Unfortunately I haven't managed to fully resolved the issue. I'm still trying a identify the primary cause. I've managed to ping 2 laptops through the switch successfully but it still loses connection (usually after a day). I have 2 other TP Link switches (a gigabit and a MB) and I've now connected all the devices across the 3 switches and everything is working for the time being but ideally I want everything to work only using the gigabit switches. I even posted a message on the VM board thinking it could be the Hub3 but others have connected more devices using switches so I don't think its the router. It could be one of the devices causing a loop, or perhaps interference, or even one of the ports is dodgy. I'm going to try a few more different set ups to see if i can isolate the root cause. I'll report back if I ever work it out!

Options
2020-01-28 11:54:51

@Paul3614 Is your VM Router in Bridge mode or full router mode? I haven't tried mine yet in Bridge mode, that is my next step. Also considering plugging 1 uplink in the VM Hub and leaving the rest of the ports empty, in case the VM kit is getting confused if it sees certain traffic on different ports.

I have some BT Wifi access points plugged in to ethernet for backhaul, one directly in the VM Hub and one via this switch. Wondering if some sort of spanning tree or something is confusing it and foces the VM Hub to block the port link to the switch.

My switch has loop protection, broadcast and storm control, none of which help with this issue. 

When my switch loses conntection to the VM Hub, I cant login to the VM Hub to troubleshoot, after about a week, you cannot login to the web interface, it constantly says incorrect pass, even though it's printed on the underside. The only way to login is to reset the VM Hub back to defaults and re configure it.

I'll let you know if I make any progress yes

Options
2020-01-28 14:33:12

@Ian_D The Hub3 is currently in router mode with the wifi turned off. I have tried running it in modem mode but that hasn't helped either. Please keep me posted on how you get on.

Options
2020-05-20 17:34:44

@Paul3614 Hi! I'm having the same issue on a TL-SG105E. It worked perfectly for 2 years bit now it's losing connection randomly. I've made the test requested above (ping PC1 to PC2) and it seems it's working correcty. Only trying to ping from PC2 to PC1 it gave me "Request timeout for icmp_seq 0, 1, 2…"

Any suggestion?

Options
2020-09-15 18:17:49

@malvino Did you get a resolution to this? I'm in the same boat pretty much, exact same situation as you. My ISP had a minor outage last Wednesday and ever since this switch drops connection multiple times and hour for around a minute.

Connecting direct to hub no issues, going through the switch leads to issues

Options
2020-09-15 18:23:05

@ccbb37 Hi! Yes, I upgraded the firmware and worked fine again… Hope this helps!

Regards

Options
2020-12-14 12:44:49

@Paul3614 After 3 weeks of acceptable behavior everything connected to our SG 1008P (unmanaged switch) went offline. This includes our security cameras. This is not ok. The fix? Reboot the switch. This is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE behavior for a switch. I am having serious buyer's remorse.

Options
2021-01-07 11:23:27

After two weeks connection lost. I bought the SG1024D and connected the switch dec 23th. This morning clients had "no internet" due to" no default gateway". Synology notified 1:30 am the connection was lost. After power-off/power-on (power switch is missing...), the SG1024D everything was okay again. 

I can not find a way to update the firmware, is it possible to update the firmware? 

My configuration:  

ADSL-modem/router  => SG1024D => 21 clients(2x iTV, 5 ip camera's, NVR, 2x media player, dect-ip-phone, 2x smart TV, PC&Mac's) 

ADSL-modem/router => TP-Link AC4000 WIFI accesspoint 

ADSL-modem/router => Tenda AC11 WIFI accesspoint 

ADSL-modem/router => LinkSys WRTG54G (bridge mode) WIFI accesspoint 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 19511

Replies: 15

Related Articles