Switch losing connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Switch losing connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
15 Reply
Re:Switch losing connection
2022-02-08 01:48:46

@malvino Having same issue with my T1700G-28TQ v3 just all of the sudden bam, reset the connection its up for 1-5 minutes down again, although there are no logs showing any issues. Mine are specific to the SFP ports and uplink connection. 

Options
2022-07-18 15:01:29

I started to have the sam issue with my TL-SG1024D. 

It works for a few tens of seconds and then stops. No other indication except all the connections are dropped, even the LOEDs continue to show the traffic. Reconnecting the power solve the issue for a while, but the issue return.

Seems that this cheap 24 ports gigabit switch is a piece of junk. I cannot count on it even for my home network.

Options
2022-09-23 17:34:42
I'm having these issues also and seriously regretting my purchase. Trying to upgrade the firmare but getting the most helpful message that the firmware upgrade failed "for some reason"
Options
2022-10-19 21:41:07

@Paul3614 

I'm facing a similar issue. 

The connection in my home drops at least once a day.

I ended up replacing ALL devices and cables, but the problem persisted. I ran out of ideas to fix this problem. Our ISP says everything up to and including the modem is fine.

I'm now in this weird zone of trouble shooting, thinking it might be interference from the 2 DB's next to the network switch? They are both about 50-60 cm from the switch. I read the manual at a later stage and they do ward against placing the switch next to a DB. But moving it will require cabling again so I wanted to gauge if this is worth doing.

My reasoning is due to the fact that only the routers after the network switch drop. Restarting the network switch is the only way to get them to reconnect. However, the main router never drops the connection.

It's a fairly standard cable setup: modem > main router (EERO) > network switch (TL-SG1016D) > other routers (EERO). All cables are shielded CAT6.

Can anyone facing the issue confirm if their network switch is next to anything that might be generating an electromagnetic field? DB's etc. 

The manual warns against it, but I can't tell if that's the problem or if TP-Link products are just bad? I bought this one to replace the SG116. Going back and forth between still resulted in the same issue. I keep reading on forums that TP Link network switches have a high failure rate.

"Locate the Switch far from strong electromagnetic field generators (such as motors), vibration, dust, and direct exposure to sunlight."

Options
2022-10-25 19:19:35

@malawar 

UPDATE:

The problem still exists, it just doesn't happen as often since adding the oven tray for some weird reason.

It used to disconnect every day. The oven tray made an improvement. It went on about 5 days without disconnecting; which I never experienced before. It was a really nice change not having to worry about it. But it disconnected twice today.

I tried reaching out to my ISP again.

My several attempts over the years didn't prove fruitful, they always said there's nothing wrong. The last time around (about 2 months ago), their technician said that everything leading up to the ONT box (modem?) was fine. So, I had moved on from thinking the problem might be caused from their side.

I managed to find the manual of their ONT device and did some digging. I called, insisted someone come have a look again. This time around, the guy said there's MULTIPLE problems with the device, and even the firmware wasn't updated for YEARS. To add insult to injury, they could even see all the times my service dropped. But whenever I asked about it before, I was told everything is fine.

I insisted on a replacement, and got a new ONT device (...modem?) from them. It once again feels like the issue has been resolved.

Internet speed test shows better results. Jumped from 650-700 to about 850-900. Even though my subscription is for 750mbps. Using the internet seems to be more responsive. I removed the oven tray, everything is neat again.

I will be monitoring over the next few days, weeks, and months. Hopefully, it's smooth sailing from here on out.

Options
Related Articles