Wifi 6 router AX3000 aka AX50 Issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-07 18:42:01 - last edited 2020-01-09 13:07:39
Model: Archer AX3000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20191021 rel.40149

Hello All,

Today, I got a new router AX3000 which is also known as AX50. I was overexcited of getting wifi 6 router. I overlooked some review on amazon about how it heats up excessively and ordered myself as I needed a gigabyte router and thought to invest in the new technology. So far I can summarize some of the issues I came across on this router (I have around 10 tp link routers at this point, from cheapest to N to dual band.)

1. To my horror, it does heat up considerably from top and bottom middle portion. If I have to keep this router and no firmwire can fix this, I have to install a PC cabinet fan under it to help remove the heat. Yeah, this will the first!
  2. This router doesn't provide bridging/WDS functionality that all other routers that I have from tp-link has. Very disappointed as this functionality is present even in the least expensive tp-link router.
  3. The range of 2.4 GHz is little better than C5 and C50 or any N band router I have. Bandwidth remains good even after 3 brick walls.
  4. 5 GHz band is as usual have short range. The 5 GHz AC can connect to any device with a maximum of 866 mbps, even if supported wifi adapter maximum speed is higher to 866mbps. Disappointing. C50 has 866 mbps and my laptop can connect to it with 866 mbps. My wifi is capable of upto 1166 mbps for 5 GHz band. I don't know why this router which has speed upto 2400 mbps for 5 GHz cannot connect to laptop at higher speed.
  5. 5 GHz with 160 MHz is set in the router configuration page and shows there 160 MHz but it is running on 80 MHz only.
  6. On both bands, the channel number is set to a particular number and stay for 2-3 login session the same and then it shows some random channel number or auto. What and why? It means, something is overriding the channel configuration automatically or some software bug.
  7. Sometime router disconnect itself when speed test is running on phone or laptop, it is seen on 5GHz band.
  8. Ethernet Gigabit ports is maxing out around 750 mbps read and 350 mbps write speed. I used CAT 7 cable to test the speed in my internal network.
  9. AC wifi is maxing out at 22 MBps and 45 MBps in the internal network test. This is disppointing result as this results is what I can get with older tp-link C5 router.
  10. While connecting to the 5 GHz AC with 160 Mhz in router configuration, I am getting only 50% of ISP when checked with speed test. Once connecting to 2.4 GHz band, I'm getting full speed. I have tested this 5 times and in five times, 5 GHz alwas capped at 50% of ISP speed. This router seems to have more bugs than I previously thought. 

For configurations, I have disabled Airtime Fairness and OFDMA. I have enabled MU-MIMO as my laptop Killer's wifi adapter 1550i supports it. Smart connect is disconnected. One ethernet and 2 wlan devices are connected to the router. AX functionality is not yet tested as I still have to install Intel's wifi 6 AX200NGW adapter to my laptop.  Router is running on new firmware as mentioned in the details.

Is this router faulty? Or this router has bugs and may be fixed in the next firmwire update?

Thanks for any suggestion!

EDIT ON 9th JANUARY:

update of some of the issue with point numbers:

1. Direct placement result in more heat so I have placed some spacer below the router which has reduced the heat buildup a bit. TP Link should think of putting some heatsink on the chip and air vents on the top surface which is absent in the present form.

4. With Intel AX200NGW wifi adapter, now I can connect to the router with 1.2 Gbps connection. An improvement but still fall short of 2.4 Gbps claimed by TP Link.

6. and 7. is no longer seen. what caused it or what solved it is not known.

10. I connected the AX3000 router directly to the ISP modem. Previously, It was connected to the tp link C5 router ethernet port, the C5 is WDS bridged wifi router. The C5 router could give 100% ISP speed in both 2.4 GHz and 5GHz band. By directly connecting now AX3000 5GHz band is also giving full ISP speed in Ookla speed test. It is strange phenomenon that no other router that I have shown. TP Link should investigate this.

Other point number from original post are still showing same behavior.

Options
14 Reply
Re:Wifi 6 router AX3000 aka AX50 Issues
2020-01-23 07:15:23

@NitinKumar  disable QoS (set to 0) for  2.4 Gbps connection.

Options
2020-01-23 07:42:48

@hyun QoS was never active as I did not use TP Link ID with the router and without TP Link ID, the router does not allow QoS and HomeCare.

Options
2020-01-23 07:50:28
tp-link web interface > advanced > QoS Install tether app... then... You can change QoS bandwidth.
Options
2020-02-19 16:55:49

@NitinKumar 

I have also seen the max Ethernet speeds be around 700-750 Mbps when using my Gigabit connection from Cox. Plugging directly into the modem gives me the advertised 940 Mbps. Wonder if there's a fix/tweak or am I stuck with a crippled Gigabit connection on the router?

Options
2020-02-20 02:59:17

@afilen 

What is the model number of your router? Is it Archer AX3000 or Archer AX50? 

What is the current firmware version? 

With computer connected to the router by wired cable, please click here to get the wired negotiation speed. 

Note: The steps are the same, while you need click on ethernet connection. 

Meanwhile, may I know have you enabled any advanced features? Like QoS or so? 

Good day. 

Options
2020-02-20 04:34:42

@afilen I have tried AX3000 and return it, then I tried Tp Link AC2600 and return it too because it too gave lower ethernet speed. Now, I am back to a D Link Gigabyte Switch which gives me around 950 Mbps speed. So no wireless solution but if you need to connect your system with a wire, I think switch will outperforms router with gigabyte routers anyday.

Options
2020-02-20 04:43:35

@Kevin_Z Please refer to my original post where i have provided all information and then read the post of other user who is describing that he has same problem, connect the two information and then you don't need to ask the other user all information. There shouldn't be a need to ask the information again and again in the same thread. In short, ethernet ports are not giving us close to 1 Gbps while 1 Gbps Switch can. Either Tp Link 1 Gbps ports give close to 1 Gbps (around or equal to 950 Gbps) or they don't, if they do please ask your technical team to confirm it as why we ain't getting those speed. I am a very old customer with house full of Tp link products. There shouldn't be beating around the bush.

Options
2020-04-17 23:54:44

@Kevin_Z

I'm having issues with the ax50 dropping absolutely everything wired and wireless. Just put it in last night and it rebooted itself once after about 4 hours and several times throughout today. Why are ALL of the vents on the bottom? I'm flipping the thing over to see if that helps. If this is the fix I'll have to mod the damn case to open it up so it can vent heat. Whoever designed this thing should be fired.

Options
2020-04-20 23:33:54

Really dissapointed in this product, and even more so the awful "support".  

This article clearly states "All TP-Link routers support VPN Passthrough for PPTP, L2TP and IPSec (ESP)."

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/558/

But, it does not work.  6 hours now dealing with support, and I don't even think they understand what I am trying to do-  They keep telling me to click on Advanced-> VPN  (A link does not exist)..  Ok, Advanced -> VPN Server..   NO!  I don't want the AX50 to be the endpoint, I just want it to pass the VPN traffic from the computer!

Reading online, it may be related to a QOS setting called "NAT BOOST".  However, the new UI does not give me the ability to access the QOS page.  Instead, I have to install an APP on a mobile device?   Not going to happen!   I should not be required to use an APP to configure the router.  

Thankful for Amazon good return policies, this one will be going back.  Won't conider replacing it with another TP-LINK device because support is so awful. 

Options
2020-12-08 00:16:55

@NitinKumar 

I'm having exactly the same issues that you are describing.

To force 2.4Gbps, I have to set the 5Ghz channel to 108 (DFS). It works for a while, then it auto changes the channel back to whatever it wants, and the speed is capped at 1.2Gbps. If I try to set it back to a DFS channel (the only ones that gave me 2.4Gbps so far), it sometimes hangs the router and needs a reboot.

Even at 1.2Gbps, the wired speed is lacking, so your "1.2gbps" are useless. When sending data to my NAS, it goes at about 350mbps. Receiving from the same NAS it goes at about 700-750mbps (the NAS is also connected to a 10GbE switch, and can saturate 10gig).

So, WIRED speeds:

Tx: 350mbps

Rx: 750mbps

Nearly 2021 and this thing can't even manage 1gpbs wired right?

I have the router set in AP mode, I don't need it as a router. It is quite basic. It doesn't even support tagging VLANs. When TP-Links states that it supports "VLAN Tagging" it means it can freaking pass a packet that has a tag. What an achievement!

It's a POS, honestly. I regret buying it. It's swarmed by bugs, the AP mode is nearly useless (you have to connect the WAN port like an uplink, or something, instead of creating a bridge with the 5 available ports. When connected to another port it didn't want to pass DHCP traffic, that is managed by another equipment in my network. I really can't confirm this, 'cause it's buggy as hell, so... maybe it was just that one time).

Oh! But it has an app for the smartphone, with icons and stuff.

The intended audience of this thing is someone who will never test if it can actually work at advertised speeds.

Options