HS200 wiring question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS200 wiring question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
HS200 wiring question
HS200 wiring question
2020-01-10 08:42:44 - last edited 2020-01-10 08:46:29
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: latest as of 2020/01/10

I'm having trouble getting the HS200 to power my lights. I've looked on the internet and I don't see any switches that are currenly wired the way my existing one is.

What I have (that works):

A simple on/off rocker that has 2 cables coming into the box. No 3 way or anything like that. 1 black wire from each conected to the switch. That's it. No ground or neutral hooked up. Both cables also have a white (neutral) and a bare copper (ground). They're just pushed back into the box and not hooked up to anyting (for all I know this is a hazard, but this is how I found it).

I hooked up the HS200 according to the instructions on the app (and since it doesn't mention 2 cables I tried pretty much every permutation of both blacks, both or either white and both or either ground). It goes on wifi, the wifi light is green, everything looks good. When I hit the HS200 power, a single (led) bulb (out of 6 or so) briefly flashes on, the switch clicks and the bulb goes out, it happens fast, all in sub-second time. No other bulbs light up. The switch flashes orange/green for a few seconds, before going back to green. If I hit it again the same thing happens. 

From what I read it didn't sound like a "switch loop" or "power through fixture", but seems to be acting that way. I didn't run across any wiring setup the exactly way mine is though. Does anyone have any insight into this? Is my wiring incompatible with the HS200?

Thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:HS200 wiring question
2020-01-10 14:13:33
Something sounds wrong with the wiring if the whites were pushed in the box and not connected - you should be very careful while you're experimenting - it may indeed be a hazard. It's common for only the black to be switched in non-smart switches, but that the whites aren't connected does suggest power through fixture wiring. That the relay clicks off immediately when you power the switch suggests the same - that's the behavior when neutral is missing. You might try to figure out exactly where the wires are going, it's possible the box is already wired for neutral but it's not connected.
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2020-01-10 18:45:37

@MikeP thanks! I'll see if I can figure out if those neutrals are connected or not.

Options
2020-01-16 09:17:36

@jb0n 

Below is the setup video and installation guidance of HS200 which you can have a reference.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/hs200/#video

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1128/

May it help. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1061

Replies: 3

Related Articles