Deco P9 Maturity

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco P9 Maturity

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
107 Reply
Re:Deco P9 Maturity
2020-04-20 12:11:42

@Kevin_Z 

Soon when? 2021, 2030? Its been a long wait and the product remains unfinished.

By the way, it also depends on where you live because I have 1.0.1 version and still says to be the last while I read other people running 1.0.4 or so...

Options
2020-04-29 06:18:57

@samwardill 

After a load of mails, I was able to get the latest Beta release. I haven't tested myself, but here is the email I received AND I got a "GO" to share it here.

If anyone is willing to try and have feedback, please let us all know!

Hi Sam,

In regards to your concern I get in touch with our Senior Engineer, the new firmware seems still under tests; I understand your feeling and the needs to get more functions on this unit; while per you know, rounds and rounds tests should be done before release it; It would be better if the firmware can be released sooner, while the capacity/performance of the firmware is more important.

Here is the Beta Firmware of the Deco P9: https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202003/20200324/P9_1.0.2.zip

Deco P9 doesn't support web UI. So you will need to upgrade via local upgrade tool. The local upgrade tool and upgrade instruction is also included in the link.

Thank you.

Options
2020-04-29 07:06:10

@HopSaSam 

Thanks for sharing. You are simply doing what the tp-link engineers should have done to save this poorly finished piece of HW+SW.

I assume you are in Europe?

Options
2020-04-29 07:20:16
I am, yes, but contacted USA and EU support. Via USA support I reached the tech team in China and this is the link :-)
Options
2020-04-29 07:35:37

@HopSaSam 

Thanks. Even their upgrade "tool" sucks. Dont know how it is on Windows but on Mac is a bunch of poorly written scripts just like the firmware. Of course, it doesnt work.

Options
2020-04-29 07:43:12

@wcg 

Have you tried their "manual" in the ZIP-file?

Options
2020-04-29 07:58:13

@HopSaSam Yes, the problem is that they are calling out a specific python version that I no longer have. I modified the scripts and managed to upgrade.

Some good news:

- You know which clients are connected to each P9 device

- Can enable/disable mesh for specific clents

- Have an indication if PLC is used for backhaul

- Signal Strenght between P9s

- Added WPS (not really important and unsafe)

- Can enable/disable 2.4 or 5Ghz Wifi

- New IPTV option (have no idea what it does)

- Mac-address clone option added

- SIP ALG

- Enable/Disable Beaforming option

- LAN IP can be changed now

- VLAN

- Client detection started to detect more devices, not sure if perfect.

- Monthly report is still that stupidity.

- QOS didnt change

Options
2020-04-29 08:01:49
Just tested speed from sattelites. In my case, 30% more speed. Because of the bumps, I guess its now mixing wifi+PLC while before was only PLC. But this is just a guess.
Options
2020-04-29 08:02:16

@wcg

Thanks for the summary of changes.

With the new firmware, is there any way to force each unit to use a specific route for the backhaul? So insist on PCL or wi-fi?

If the speed difference is marginal between methods, it would be good to be able to manually define which stream to use. 

Options
2020-04-29 08:06:32

@lohr500 

No way to do that.

By the way I'm still guessing that WIFI backhaul is also used which PLC is active.

My speeds wont go over 100mbps before the upgrade and now going to 130-140 and there's a burst feeling with variations (PLC is quite stable here)... so that why Im guessing wifi is used as well.

In the app you see the signal level of wifi quite low in my case and PLC active.

Options