Deco Mesh system connection issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco Mesh system connection issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
90 Reply
Re:Deco Mesh system connection issues
2020-11-28 01:29:57

I’m having the same issues with my week old M9 system. I’ve narrowed it down to the point with both 2.4 and 5 GHz enabled. It’s just my phone that the speed just drops randomly but still keep the connection to the point. When I turn off the point I get a stable signal from the router both at 5 and 2.4GHz. Also when I disable the 5GHz on the point my phone works fine. My phone and the dual 5GHz bands from the point are the problem. This is going back to Costco. 

Options
2021-01-01 09:15:58

@TP-Link_Deco 

I'm a network engineer and tried multiple things to troubleshoot this issue, but no luck so far.

Situation;

- I have just 1 single Deco X60 directly connected to the modem of my ISP.

- Have my Deco setup as AP, though tried router mode ; same problem.

- Internet works fine without issues, except sometimes it randomly stops working completely while Wifi connection remains intact.

- This issue is specifically with iphone (both iphone 11 and iphone 12, tried on multiple iOS versions)

The fastest way to get this problem; Do a call on Whatsapp -> After 2 minutes and 50 seconds the connection drops and all internet connectivity is dead.

At the moment I'm personally no longer interested in trying to solve this problem as it has been going on for too long and I really feel TP-Link has failed to resolve this at all.

Is there any way we can get a refund? I imagine you guys will take probably a long time to resolve this issue (as usually in big organisations).

Anyway hope this feedback helps.

Options
2021-02-12 12:32:06

@asciiid 

the Deco is not configured as DHCP server, 

this means when the wifi steering kicks in, the device is switched from one access point to another, with the same wifi name but different base station id. the DHCP server does not 

My experience is that no ip is assigned when the device is connected to the new access point. therefore the device can not connect to the internet. 

can you confirm this? 

thanks

Options
2021-02-13 09:23:33

@goldzilla 

Hi,

May I know the model number of the Deco? Is it working on the access point mode?

Could you please draw a picture about your network structure?

‘’My experience is that no ip is assigned when the device is connected to the new access point’’ ---Does it happen all the time or randomly within a day?

Thanks a lot!

Options
2021-02-13 10:08:01

Hi, @goldzilla!

Unfortunately, as I mentioned in a previous post, I already returned my Decos to the seller. I cannot provide more information.

However, it could have been a DHCP issue. Although some of our devices lost internet access without them being moved, so it's unlikely that they switched to the other Deco node. So either they decided to switch to the other Deco node for some reason (even though it would have made the signal quality even worse), or the Deco's DHCP server refused to renew the lease for some reason. I also tried them in AP mode, and that did not solve the issue, so maybe the Deco's firmware was "blocking" some DHCP traffic.

Options
2021-03-22 19:14:42

Hi all, 

I know this is an old thread, but thought I would reach out.  I have a 3-unit X60 mesh system (Firmware 1.0.5, ethernet backhaul) that I installed about three weeks ago and I'm experienceing exactly what is being described here. 

Is there a resolution to the random internet connectivity issues?

Options
2021-03-23 12:01:13

@SES0511 

Hi, I have seen that you have updated the firmware to 1.5.1 already and did the internet connection get more stable after the firmware upgrade?

And were all 3 Deco units connected via Ethernet cable?--can I have a detailed network map of your Deco system?

Would both wireless and Ethernet connection drop out randomly and have you noticed that any Deco turn red?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-03-23 12:56:44

@TP-Link 

Thank you for your quick reply.  Yes, I saw after I posted this that there was an updated firmware package released about 10 days ago, so I updated via the web portal.  The weird thing is that I used the Deco app to look for an update over the weekend and it said that I had the latest update.   Hopefully, this firmware update fixed the sporadic issue, but I'll report back if it occurs again.  It's only happened about 4 or 5 times since setting up the new mesh system about a month ago.

To answer your questions, the primary deco is plugged directly into the AT&T modem (gigafiber) and the second port of the primary unit is connected to an 8-port TPlink switch that feeds the other two units and a few other direct-connected devices.  The wifi-connected computers indicated that they were connected to the SSID, but no Internet connection.   I thought it was possibly an issue with the TPlink online anti-virus and firewall, but toward the end of the outage period, I tried a Ethernet-connected computer and it worked.  If it occurs again, I'll check an Ethernet-connected computer earlier in the troubleshooting process.  

If you have any other advice, please let me know.  Thanks!

Options
2021-04-14 23:27:53

@SES0511 

Same problem here when I upgraded to x60 from m5.  Works fine if I unplug 1 x60 and use 1 x60 with 2 m5's.  Kind of defeats the purpose of going to wifi 6 though.  The disconnects affect my "dumber" IOT devices such as door locks, cameras, garage door opener, sump pump, alarm system, etc.  Get disconnect notices every few hours.  Older laptops also get internet signal is weak notices but otherwise usable.  Really hope this can be fixed.  Tried everything - wired, non wired, QoS, beamforming, AES, tkip, physically exchanging Deco with retailer, swapping main deco, unplugging m5, etc...

Options
2021-04-15 01:35:36

@Evozzz 

HI, did you mean after replacing the Deco M5 kit with Deco X60, there are plenty of issues when using Deco X60 only;

But combining Deco X60 with Deco M5, the situation got improved?

Since the current thread was long and complex, would it be possible for your to start a new thread with the details about your current issue?

Thank you very much.

Options
Related Articles