TP-Link WiFi router configured as repeater unable to connect to main router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-14 03:55:07 - last edited 2020-02-14 08:36:25
Model: TL-MR3420  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I have been trying to setup my TP-Link MR3420 wireless router as a repeater for my main router. I have visited many other forum posts, however I have not found any solution to my problem.

Settings that I have done so far on both routers.

Main router:

Main Router IP: 192.168.1.1

DHCP Enabled on Main router, configured as DHCP server.

DHCP Range modified: Starting: 192.168.1.10  Ending: 192.168.1.254  <-- this was done so that DHCP range does not collide with repeater IP of 192.168.1.2.

Repeater (TP-Link router):

Router IP address changed to 192.168.1.2

DHCP: disabled

WDS: Enabled (all details of main router provided after enabling WDS)

Channel set to same channel as main router

SSID changed appropriately

Passphrase updated

However, after reboot to apply setting changes, repeater is unable to login to main router. Hence no internet connection over repeater. 

In the status page of repeater it shows WDS state as 'Run'. I understand that means WDS is configured and running.

A check on the status page of main router does not show repeater connected. Only other devices are connected.

Please help me solve this issue as I need the repeater to improve my wifi connectivity.

Regards,

Rinjo

Options
5 Reply
Re:TP-Link WiFi router configured as repeater unable to connect to main router
2020-02-14 08:44:57

@Rinjo 

Hello, below is the instruction to setup WDS function on the router.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1662/

Note: Even though the model number is different, the configuration steps are the same.

And please use the main router's wifi password to configure it.

May it help.

Options
2020-02-17 08:32:06

@Kevin_Z Thanks for your response. I had done my configuration after referring to the link that you shared.

However, I was unable to resolve the issue.

Can there be WDS compatibility issue between routers from different brands? My main router is from Totolink provided by my internet service provider.

-Rinjo

Options
2020-02-18 06:47:20

@Kevin_Z btw, I am able to ping the main router from the system tools section of my tp-link router.

Hence, my main router is visible to the my tp-link router. The problem seems to be in sharing the internet from the main router.

-Rinjo

Options
2020-07-14 17:27:43 - last edited 2020-07-16 15:40:14

@Rinjo 

I thought that I would never complete this task. I had so many issues with my routers that i almost had a heart attack but one day my neighbor and my friend told to change settings  using router admin login and i didn’t know what is it so i found one service and they explained me everything they even purpose me new router that working like a flash. I have never been so happy. All my devices  work so well and wi-fi is amazing. I really was so amazed that I recommended them to my parents and friends and they were also very happy. Is this period of time when we all stay home internet connection has to be on a high level. 

Options
2020-08-05 15:13:25

@Rinjo Hello !
Hello !
WDS.
.in a way it is a function of the repeater mirror, so it also takes over the functions of the mother router, including access ip in login mode etc..and when you want to enter router 2 repeater, in fact you enter router 1 at admin settings etc, l 192.168.1.1, you actually enter the settings of the basic router, to which you must print the access password, and not in the surrogate router, ie the repeater, to which you insist you would access the address, not to be found !.
From the moment of DNS deactivation, the login function in the repeater also disappears!
you restore your administration to the router with wds activated, only by RESET, then log in, make the desired settings, activate wds, deactivate dns, reboot and goodbye, you can not re-enter it with Login, because it becomes the mirror of the router from which take wifi signal.
And it is NOT a defect, but a finding, I tried on several TP-LINK devices, the same situation at all, You can no longer access the router that is on wds mode and with dns disabled, the reason being that it no longer has its own IP!
I leave to others and may advance the opportunity to express their opinion and a way to solve it, but I DON'T BE AFFECTED BY THIS SMALL impediment, I set everything carefully from the beginning and then restart and that's it, it will work properly!
* As an optimization of the speed and stability, the security of the router you own, I SUGGEST YOU TO CHECK YOUR SOFTWARE VERSION, a firmware update is always welcome, and it is amazingly easy and fast, being a way to give life and the speed of an even older router.
Of course, the routers of this year or 2019, etc. do not undergo this operation, but preventively, check this aspect, it gives good results.
* What I said will NOT solve your problem, they are just suggestions to follow!
A good day to all !

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7714

Replies: 5

Related Articles