WR720N WiFi connection problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-01-14 05:06:08
Region : Others

Model : TL-WR720N

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : V1

ISP : SBB

Hi.

I bought WiFi router about 3-4 days ago. I've setted up averything and computer woks throughout LAN. But everything that connects through WiFi has this kind of problem.

I've typed SSID and password. I've connected WiFi device (android phone). I've disconnected WiFi device. After a while I could not connect to router. Android phone tries to connect but it disconnects immediately. Like it's trying to connect. Reseting router does the trick and I'm able to connect, but after a while (random time) I cannot connect anymore. Again I have to reset router.

And sometimes when I reset router this happens, so I have to manually reset it:

[video=youtube;JPfiLuwGhHg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPfiLuwGhHg[/video]

Edit:

OK, I've checked wireless statistic and I see that even though I've disconnected device, router thinks that I'm still connected.
Options
8 Reply
Re:WR720N WiFi connection problem
2013-01-14 05:42:02
Switch off - Disble WPS in your router.
Options
2013-01-14 05:48:50
Can you elaborate why? To be precise, what this does, except what I can read on router settings page. Simplify it.
Options
2013-01-14 05:56:12
Because you have Wireless Security for example WPA2, I know that some devices does not cope with WPS.
Options
2013-01-14 10:07:58
Thanks man. What stupidity is implementing something like this.
Password over 10 characters(random) is just fine.

Now need to resolve issue of software rebooting where router needs hard reset, shown above in video (stuck on 3 leds). This must be a firmware thing.
Options
2013-01-14 22:53:32
hi PNemesis

After turning on your router and the SYS LED does not blink / flash after about 1 minute, you need to have
it checked or returned to our vendor. I think this is called a hardware failure. The SYS is the indicator that
the router is running properly.
Options
WR720N / WPS Connection Problem
2013-01-22 21:06:45
Thanks Jimasek,

I've had the exact same problem with the WR720N as PNemesis.

Devices would sometimes connect and sometimes not. Android device would indefinitely try to connect and authenticate, often sucking the battery dry overnight.

When the WR720N was connected in repeater mode, it would also kill the wlan completely. In bridge mode, only the WR720N wlan was affected.

However, WPS was disabled on the main router (security issue) and I checked to see if it is still enabled (sometimes it is) and it was off.

To get around this I've tried to set security to WPA-PSK instead of WPA2. Less secure but I can use a device filter and cycle passphrase.

I'll edit the post if this works and also send a note to TP-Link as this is not a small issue considering all new ISP routers in the UK will have WPS / WPA2 enabled as default.

Thanks!
Options
2013-01-31 04:54:28

borg_ph wrote

hi PNemesis

After turning on your router and the SYS LED does not blink / flash after about 1 minute, you need to have
it checked or returned to our vendor. I think this is called a hardware failure. The SYS is the indicator that
the router is running properly.

Nope. On video, this only happens randomly and not often. But it only happens when router is rebooted througout internal software (tplinklogin), as I said not often and randomly. When hardware reset is done, plugout/in power, it works normally.
Options
2013-02-01 09:45:49
When it happens, try to log into web-based utility of WR720 on your phone.
Besides, you'd better use some other wireless devices to check if the problem continues or not.
Try jimasek's advice and I think it is good idea.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1132

Replies: 8

Related Articles