HS100 Remote Control Fales - Invalid Device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-18 14:38:51 - last edited 2020-10-27 10:36:57
Model: HS100  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

I recently purchased a pair of HS100 smart switches, they both initially set up without a problem.

I had to change the name of one switch due to it being moved to a different room on the same network and phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 8)

After I changed the name the switch displays  "Local Only" on the phone app.

When I enter the device settings on the phone app to switch the remote control on an error message pops up that says "failed: invalid device"

I have removed the device from the app, removed the entire app, reset the device to factory state over and over, even rebooting my phone between tries.

Nothing has worked so far to fix the issue and on looking at other posts I see I am not alone with this issue.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:HS100 Remote Control Fales - Invalid Device-Solution
2020-10-27 10:35:30 - last edited 2020-10-27 10:36:57

@Mile_Hi_Guy 

Good day,

Thanks a lot for your time and patience.

We had received this feedback  recently and our engineers are working on it right now.

And there would be a temporary workaround:

Please try to enable remote control in Kasa APP again after 2 days.

And If you still cannot turn on the remote control feature at that time, please feel free to update it here.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Recommended Solution
Options
21 Reply
Re:HS100 Remote Control Fales - Invalid Device
2020-02-19 09:09:37

@Kiwifruit 

First, please follow the guidelines mentioned below.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2243/

If it is still the same, please show us a screenshot of the error message. 

And you can send us your cloud account privately so that we can do further analysis at our end. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-02-19 14:38:49

@Kevin_Z 

Hi, I have sent email with screenshots and account email address

Options
2020-02-20 07:05:03

@Kiwifruit 

Sorry I did not receive any information. I even checked our email system but no results. 

You can send them to me again via private message. You can click the icon of my account and Message will be available. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-02-20 07:12:45

@Kiwifruit 

Options
2020-02-21 12:13:12

@Kiwifruit 

Thanks for your valued reply. We tried to check the status at our end, we found that the plug lost connection at 11:00 this morning. UTC+08:00;

We suspect that the main router may block it as an untrusted device when this plug lost connection but got the name changed at the same time.

You can verify whether you have enabled access control/mac filtering or parental control on the main router and whether the plug has been blocked to access internet. 

Thanks a lot. 

Options
2020-02-21 17:02:47

@Kevin_Z 

I unplugged the devices they are not restricted in any way by my router but I do have MAC to IP binding for security purposes. I've discovered a discrepancy between the MAC address on the device and what is displayed in the "About Device" page of the phone app. The device in the photo has a mac address of CC:32:E5:AD:68:79 according to the label in the photo but shows a different MAC address in the APP CC:32:E5:B7:8A:B7 as shown in the second photo/screenshot. My network port scanner shows the MAC address as CC:32:E5:B7:8A:B7 which agrees with the APP so it looks like there's an issue with the labelling on this device? I unplugged the devices they are not restricted in any way by my router but I do have MAC to IP binding for security purposes. I've discovered a discrepancy between the MAC address on the device and what is displayed in the "About Device" page of the phone app. The device in the photo has a mac address of CC:32:E5:AD:68:79 according to the label in the photo but shows a different MAC address in the APP CC:32:E5:B7:8A:B7 as shown in the second photo/screenshot. My network port scanner shows the MAC address as CC:32:E5:B7:8A:B7 which agrees with the APP so it looks like there's an issue with the labelling on this device?

Options
2020-02-22 01:41:41
If you're using MAC filtering that is a restriction. If you're using MAC to IP binding it shouldn't matter other than the device will not be assigned the desired IP (assuming you use DHCP). There's a difference between the MAC used for wifi setup and the one used in normal operation, TP Link will need to tell you how to find the right one. Or let the device join then use the one the router records for it. MAC filtering is an unnecessary complication, it does not add any useful security. Anyone who can break your WPA2 wifi encryption will only need a few seconds more to spoof one of your MAC addresses.
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2020-02-22 15:38:00

Only using MAC to IP binding not filtering so where does that leave things?

Options
2020-02-24 15:00:11

@Kiwifruit I'm not sure, but it still might be a misconfiguration of your router.  What do you mean by "MAC to IP binding for security purposes"?  That suggests either filtering or blocking at your router firewall and contradicts "they are not restricted in any way by my router".  Have you tried temporarily disabling this security to see if it helps? 

Maybe move the device back to the orginal location, and reset/reconfigure it there.  If you have a mesh wifi or multiple wifi access points it can cause problems in different locations.  Possibly the wifi signal is marginal at that new location (IoT device radios often aren't as good as your phone's so one may work but not the other).

If it's a security issue find the TP Link device and assign the correct MAC (the one it's using to join your network) to your security settings.  That seems unlikely if it worked before - renaming won't do anything, moving it might.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2020-02-25 14:17:46

@MikeP There's no issue connecting to the router, I left this over the weekend, reset both plugs, uninstalled the phone app, re botted the phone, reinstalled the app and connected the first plug using the MAC address printed on the label. No problem, it's connected and operational internally and there's no message to say it can't be controlled remotely. Did the same with the other plug and everything went through the same as the fist except it won't connect remotely,

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 3071

Replies: 21