how to disable WPA on M5 mesh in AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

how to disable WPA on M5 mesh in AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
22 Reply
Re:how to disable WPA on M5 mesh in AP mode
2020-09-13 08:45:05

@AnonyOne 

+1 for this feature. You ought to be able to disable WPA in any mode (AP or router).

It is known to have weak security and can be cracked easily in minutes from a mobile device. I was very surprised to find that the Deco M5 app did not have a feature to disable it, I expected much better security from this brand.

I've not had my Deco for long, and whilst the wireless connectivity in the house is fantastic, knowing that I'm leaving a back door open for anyone who has a little IT savy the ability to access my network is very disappointing. If their engineering team fail to provide an update in the next few days on when they will be updating their firmware to fix this then I'll be returning the product.

Options
2020-09-13 08:51:57 - last edited 2020-09-13 08:54:25

@TP-Link_Deco @Kevin_Z  "At the current stage, however, we cannot provide an exact ETA to our customers as the developers need to evaluate the feasibility to add new features and do round and round tests to ensure its performance"

This post was in July. It's now September. The engineering team should have completed an evaluation by now on effort to fix this major security hole. They should also be looking at implementing WPA3 support.

Options
2020-09-13 09:16:17
just FYI - this post/response is from July but the issue has been raised going back months and months ago. what is most unsettling to me is the fact that there are either no responses at all or the occasional "we'll look into it" response which might as well have been generated by a bot. the release of iOS 14 is imminent now which means client vpn/endpoint apps will have access to the new network security classification (which in the case of the Deco is "Weak"). this would mean that many people like myself won't be able to connect to work from home and would have to go and buy a new mesh system.
Options
2020-09-16 01:07:39 - last edited 2020-09-29 01:37:17

Hello all, thanks very much for your patiently waiting and support.

Our developers recently have provided a beta firmware for the Deco M5, which allows you to change the wireless security type for your Deco network, here is the download link if you are willing to update it:

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202009/20200921/Deco_M5_1.4.9.zip

Note: Ensure you are running the latest Deco app on your phone first, Android version 2.2.1, and iOS 2.2.2.

Let the community know if you have any inquiries, thanks a lot~

Options
2020-09-22 09:50:57

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hello.

This firmware is only for Deco M5 ver.1.0? Or works with other versions to? For exemple, 3.0.

Best regards.

Options
2020-09-22 09:53:16

@NPintado 

Hi, it can be uploaded in all M5 versions, you may also refer to this thread for more details:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/227662

Thanks.

Options
2020-09-28 10:50:51

@mrp 

I updated my iPhone to I OS14 and noticed that my network was considered weak. Honestly I didn't even notice there was no security tab or link in the Deco app to control security type. 

Did you hear any official response about a firmware upgrade to support just WPA2 and/or WPA3? If this isn't something urgent that the company will take care of I will likely buy replacement mesh networking routers that do take care of this automatically and without having to fight for it. 

Options
2020-09-28 11:17:31

TP-Link_Deco wrote

Hello all, thanks very much for your patiently waiting and support.

Our developers recently have provided a beta firmware for the Deco M5, which allows you to change the wireless security type for your Deco network, here is the download link if you are willing to update it:

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202009/20200921/Deco_M5_1.4.9.zip

Note: Ensure you are running the latest Deco app on your phone first, Android version 2.2.1, and iOS 2.2.2.

Let the community know if you have any inquiries, thanks a lot~

@TP-Link_Deco 

At the time of writing this linked entry was labeled as a solution. This is not a SOLUTION! This is a link to a temporary beta. Remove the false “solution”-label immediately!

Options
2020-09-28 16:04:33

@AnonyOne 

I got warnings from my devises about weak security as using WPA?

Tried to change settings for this, but could`nt find "how to"

So google it, and find this post and see that this is not possible? 

I thought it was a Quality product I have?

TP-Link, will you fix this quickly or do I need to buy a new product from an Quality supplier?

Options
2020-09-29 01:34:47

@Wille 

Hi, thanks for reminding.

Best Solution here we don't mean this issue is resolved and closed, it is the best solution at current stage, with this label other users can easily find a workaround or an alternative solution but not just wait.

We are sorry if we cannot accept it, you may just wait for the new official firmware.

Options