Ethernet connection on Mesh network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-21 05:32:06

Hi

I'm in the midst of choosing my future network solution. I have come across MESH as an option. I have kids running around the house with their devices and they want to be seamlessly connected at all times. However I have a few isolated rooms of the house and a shed, where I also want the Wifi to be strong and where a node cannot penetrate the wall to give a strong enough signal. The signal is there. it's just degraded to a point where even a MESH cannot remedy that. Therefore I'm thinking about connecting one or more of the MESH nodes to an ethernet cable. I do have the option to do so in every room.

If each node is connected to an ethernet cable, it should create zones with a strong Wifi signal in each zone. And since there would be a wireless connection, albeit a weak one, between each node, this would create the ability for the devices, to seamlessly switch nodes as they cross zones, right?

Also, if multiple nodes needs to be connected to an ethernet cable, what does it connect to? The router? Another "main" node?

Lastly, does it support direct ethernet? I can only see mentions about PowerLine Backhaul and not direct ethernet cable backhaul?

Which TP-Link MESH product should I choose to get the best of the above scenario?

Best regards, Rasmus

Options
2 Reply
Re:Ethernet connection on Mesh network
2020-03-23 03:26:10

@Rasmus 

The Deco supports fast roaming and they can connect to each other by wired cable/wireless, some of them even support powerline backhaul. So you do not have to worry about that, you can locate them and connect them via ethernet cable to enjoy seamless roaming. 

And all the Decos can work together; for a suitable device, it depends on the actual network environment. 

You can try to use the new feature uploaded on the official website to give it a go.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/deco-filter/ 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Ethernet connection on Mesh network
2020-03-24 20:10:39

@Kevin_Z Thank You for the sales pitch. However I didn't really answer my question. I'll make it simple:

- I have 3+ Deco units placed so far apart, that they onle have a week signal between them (With no option to place a Deco in "the middle")

- The devices used in the household will always be used in close proximity of a Deco

- I want the devices to be able to seamlessly switch from one Deco to another as the user moves from one end of the house to another (Screw it if the signal is bad when they move, as long as it is strong at the destination)

- I have the option to cable all the Deco's

Given the prerequisites described above, how should I setup the the Deco system? Where does the cables go? What about my main router - should that still be wifi enabled?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2925

Replies: 2

Related Articles