Wifi security WPA2 AES missing in Deco M9 Plus?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wifi security WPA2 AES missing in Deco M9 Plus?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
157 Reply
Re:Wifi security WPA2 AES missing in Deco M9 Plus?
2020-09-20 10:35:39

I believe we are facing the same issue.

We cannot set the WiFi security in the Deco app.

Firmware update page says it's up to date (see screenshot). 

iOS tells the security is weak (see screenshot).

When can we expect a firmware upgrade to fix this issue?

If I dare to try to the proposed beta firmware: 

How do I know if I have M9 Plus V1 or V2?

Thanks!

Options
2020-09-21 01:54:59

@AlanF 

Hi, nice try, that means your IPM-HX1W cameras are connected back to the Deco AES network without an issue after switching the wireless connections on it.

Good to know that and let us know if you still encounter an issue, thanks a lot~

Options
2020-09-21 02:23:37
Options
2020-09-21 02:25:57

@Mark_Tran 

Hi, please refer to the link below to find the option to change the wireless security type:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/227662

Thanks.

Options
2020-09-21 02:31:50

@daBowmore  @TheMacginty 

Hello,

I think this may have been discussed multiple times on the forum that you need to update your Deco M9 Plus V2 firmware to the 1.4.0 via the Upgrade Tool manually, then you will have the web UI, see this post:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/212300

Refer to the below post to get the beta firmware for your Deco device:

Thanks a lot~

Options
2020-09-21 02:33:18

@MazDaddy  @Bob909 

Hello,

We have released the beta firmware for the Deco device to allow you to change the security type now, please refer to the below post for more details:

Thanks a lot~

Options
2020-09-21 02:36:00

@MTH 

Hello,

This beta firmware will allow you to change the wireless security on your Deco device and there is currently no ETA for the official firmware.

Actually, the firmware update is quite easy, you may just log into its web UI and upload the beta firmware into it, there is no need to run the Upgrade Tool again.

As per the WPA3 security, there is currently no plan for it on the Deco M9 plus, please keep an eye on the official website:

https://www.tp-link.com/wpa3/compatibility/

Thanks a lot~

Options
2020-09-21 05:44:14

@TP-Link_Deco 

Thanks,

but as already anticipated in the instructions the login with this upgrade tool fails.

May I ask why does it have to be this complicated:

Why does the Deco app say we are up to date? Why isn't the update procedure fixed there?

Options
2020-09-21 07:55:13

@TP-Link_Deco 

Many thanks for the fast response! With number of issues, plus two updates:

1. one manual update and
  2. other done with the Deco app 

I finally managed to update the firmware to  1.4.2 Build 20200725 Rel. 65637.

After this I was also able to login to the web interface, but I could not find any settings for WiFI security.  Therefore iOS still says I have weak security.

Or are you saying I have to update to the Beta firmware to be able to fix this security issue?

When is the official version going to be released?

Also couple of hints from customer experience point of view:

1. The way these updates were done is WAY too complicated for average user.
  2. For average user the Deco app said all the time that the firmware is up-to-date. While I consider myself bit more advanced user, even I didn't even think there would be some updates available, when the management app so clearly says I'm up to date! I had to refer to this community to understand that there in fact was an update available, just some bug preventing it to be installed.
  3. it is very confusing that some info / settings can be accessed in the Deco App and some in the Web interface. I would really recommend to stick to either.

Options
2020-09-21 09:26:32

@daBowmore 

Hello, thanks very much for your suggestions and feedback.

Actually, it is just the Deco M9 Plus V2 has this manual upgrade issue with this specific firmware version, we will certainly consider your suggestions in the future firmware updates and make it easier and noticable.

Sorry that there is currently not ETA for the official firmware to allow you to change the wireless security on your Deco system, you can upgrade to the beta firmware via its web interface if you want to get rid of this "weak security" warning right away.

Thanks again for your patience and cooperation.

Options