Wifi security WPA2 AES missing in Deco M9 Plus?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wifi security WPA2 AES missing in Deco M9 Plus?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
157 Reply
Re:Wifi security WPA2 AES missing in Deco M9 Plus?
2020-07-23 03:43:52

@TP-Link_Deco what devices will this be for?

Will it encompass the entire line of Deco products?

Including devices that are lower end such as the M4? In canada, we only have access to a select group of devices, the M4 and M5, both of which have this exact same issue.

I'm fine holding off for the time being especially with the low price of the units, I would MUCH prefer to not have to jump onto the Eero at double the price for functionality that's not really any different at all.

But unless assurances can be made that this is a fix that will be available to the entire Deco line, I have no choice unfortunately.

Thanks in advance.

Options
2020-07-23 08:32:48

@SrDarkWarrior 

Hi, for the WPA3 compatibility, please keep an eye on the official website for any updates:

https://www.tp-link.com/wpa3/compatibility/

Good days.

Options
2020-07-23 08:35:46

@andsoitgoes 

Hello,

The Deco firmware updates are released on a rolling basis, and new features will be added via the firmware upgrade.

There will be a new firmware to change the security type on the Deco app for both M5 and M4 in the near future, please keep an eye on the Deco app for the updates.

Thanks.

Options
2020-07-23 14:26:21
It has been long time but no security I do not feel safe in connecting my home devices to Deco
Options
2020-07-23 21:39:56
That’s good to know, but I need something more concrete than “in the near future” 2 months? 6? A year? I understand that you cannot give definitive time frames, but I have a limited return period for these products, I can’t just sit and hope and a year down the road have this option not be available and have me be stuck.
Options
2020-08-01 18:01:16
I just bought the m9 deco 3 pack not knowing this was and issue. Was very excited to get better connected around my house, but this causes all kinds of connection problems not just security ones. I may have to return it if there is not at least an ETA on when security will be customizable. It is strange to have access to some of the advance features and not the basic ones
Options
2020-08-03 20:58:23

@TP-Link_Deco 

ok - this must be a joke. I have a Volvo V90 that is not able to connect to my wifi. 
Had I known this woukd be an isdue I would not have bought the M9. 
Unfortunately I am too late for returning the system. 
Just fix this if you're a serious company!

Options
2020-08-04 09:39:09

@Greberty 

Hello, sorry for any inconvenience caused.

May I know the hardware version of your M9 plus? If it is V2, please try to install the below beta firmware and see if your Volvo C90 will connect to the wifi:

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202006/20200617/Deco_M9Plus_V2_AES-only.zip

Note: There is a guide in the file which will guide you to update the firmware.

May it help.

Options
2020-08-13 18:06:16

@MsDee 

But last night I installed Apple's IOS14 beta on my phone. When I checked the wifi connection in settings there was a notice that the setting wasn't secure -- that I should change the router to the WPA2-PSK [AES] protocol. Problem is that I can't do that because the DECO S4 doesn't have that protocol available.  It is my understanding that several mesh tp-link networks don't have WPA2-PSK [AES]. The six-year-old router the the S4 network replaced has the WPA2-PSK [AES] protocol. Now more wifi equipment is using it. The S4 system isn't brand new on the market but it is certainly new enough that it should have the WPA2-PSK [AES] protocol.  Hopefully there will be a firmware update to address this problem.  This is a real deal breaker and purchasers should be aware of it.

Options
2020-08-14 09:17:32

@Zorki48 

Hello, thanks for reporting this security request to the community.

No worries that we will release new firmware to support changing the wireless security type for the Deco device in the near future, please keep an eye on the Deco app for future updates.

Thanks.

Options