Wifi security WPA2 AES missing in Deco M9 Plus?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wifi security WPA2 AES missing in Deco M9 Plus?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
157 Reply
Re:Wifi security WPA2 AES missing in Deco M9 Plus?
2020-09-08 18:52:49

Same for me. It stinks that none of the reviews mention this. I'm sending mine back unless we get a definite date for the fix. Very disappointing as otherwise I like the product. 

Options
2020-09-10 18:05:50

Any updates?

Are you aware that upcoming (very soon) iOS 14 marks WPA/WPA2(TKIP) as "Weak Security" and refuses to connect to such networks by default?

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR????? 

Imagine the shitstorm you get in couple weeks when all iPhones/iPads will stop working with Deco??

Options
2020-09-10 21:51:32

Yep, everybody should prepare for their Deco devices becoming basically glorified paperweights within a matter of days. There are already numerous high-profile tech blogs and review websites lined up with articles drafted and ready to publish as soon as the iOS and Android updates go live to expose all devices forcing users to use WPA. It's going to be bad news for TPLink when all these articles recommend to people to trash or return their Deco units. 

*grabs popcorn*

Options
2020-09-12 12:20:16

@Okapy - Looks like TPLink released a new firmware for M9 (released 9/11), but I'm unable to get my M9's to upgade to the latest firmware. Have you tried upgrading?

I am/was hoping this was their last minute fix for the security debacle.

Options
2020-09-13 04:01:37

Seems like the latest update adds  wpa2/3?

Running firmware 1.4.2

I don't see anything configurable within the app however. 

File:
Screenshot_20200912-235800.pngDownload
Options
2020-09-14 00:06:05

@TP-Link_Deco 

My Computer gives a warning every time i connect to internet with Deco M9 Plus

"Wi-Fi network not secure in Windows 10"

Please fix this problem.

I am regretting buying Deco now. I was expecting this will fix all Wifi problems but this is increased those. Home schooling has gone on the toss since Wifi gets disconnected frequenlt only on this device. It is impaccting my Son's school work and i am really unhappy with this product.

This is because Deco used old age technology of WEP. Microsoft warning whihc pops up after disconnecting the Wifi :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4501036/windows-10-wi-fi-network-not-secure

Options
2020-09-14 13:54:18

Hmmmmm, pretty obvious security flaw here.

I was going to buy some S4 units, but will go with a rival brand that provides basic security features. unless TPlink resolve it.

Have fun with your ipads and iphones guys!

Options
2020-09-14 20:04:11

...and for anybody using Windows 10 with the latest updates! Yes: Windows 10 has just also implemented this warning which will warn then prevent users from connecting to any hotspot still using WPA. Looks like even more people are about to find themselves in possession of some fancy looking TPLink paperweights! 

In other news, my replacement mesh WiFi solution arrived today! I got the Ubiquity UniFi system. As soon as this baby is hooked up, my Deco M5 is going to be on its way back for a full refund. 

Options
2020-09-17 08:04:57

Hello,

I update my M9 plus and my iOs14 device said that I need more secure WPA AES. When do you add this support for Deco M9 plus?

Thanks.

Options
2020-09-17 08:06:22

Hmm, just got my Deco M5 3 days ago and I've been trying to understand why my laptop only connects in 54Mbps to the network. It seems that is the cap for TKIP and there is no way to fix this on the device at the moment.

I have 60 days to return it, and if there is no firmware update to fix this, I will most definitely return it.

It's beyond strange that a 2020 device does not have AES and a way to configure it.

Options