Tether app reports router password incorrect when it is not.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Tether app reports router password incorrect when it is not.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
43 Reply
Re:Tether app reports router password incorrect when it is not.
2021-02-15 10:44:38

@js001 Hi,me face an error when i type my original password in my router i could not login if you know how to login in windows 10 then plzz guide me.

Options
2021-02-16 08:20:48

@JohnParis 

Hi,

May I know the model number of your TP-Link router?

PS: The default login password is admin and it is not the wireless password;

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-03-27 13:06:34

@js001 

I've the same problem. I did a full reset and upgraded the firmware and it made no difference. Contacted help, but only got a cut and phase of the FAQ steps that ate on the website.

js001 wrote

@smounche That's exactly the same advice I was given, and I do not see how it can possibly help. I've just given up with the tether app, and admin the router via a browser. Which works perfectly on the same devices that tether does not.

Options
2021-04-12 16:35:05

@Ningaui 

Hi,

while facing this issue again today, I observed the following: could it be that the password form field of the site trims passwords automatically to 15th chars, but the app does not?

When I set up the repeater initially, I used a very long password exceeding 15 chars. 

I gave it a try and removed all chars after 15th char in the password field of the tether app on login and it worked.

Options
2021-04-13 06:53:26

@Mister.Lang @Ningaui 

May I know the model number of the TP-Link device, as well as the hardware and firmware version of it?

Please also provide the Tether app version, as well as the phone OS version, we will confirm this ASAP.

Thanks a lot.

Options
2021-04-21 00:44:42 - last edited 2021-04-21 00:45:50

@Mister.Lang 

That was definitely the issue between Tether and my RE450 v2.0 Wi-Fi Extender! My password is 20 characters in length. When I typed only the first 15, the Tether app then accepted it!

Why is TP-Link silently truncating passwords anyway? There's no good reason to restrict the password to 15 characters. You'd think a networking company would know about security. 

Options
2021-04-21 02:31:01

@Transient 

Was there an error message notifying if the password is too long/more than 15 characters when you tried to login before? We have reported this to the engineers, they will soon check and confirm if there is an issue. We will update here once this is confirmed or fixed.

Options
2021-04-21 02:53:42 - last edited 2021-04-21 02:55:01

@Kevin_Z 

On the device's web interface, the password field is limited to 15 characters max. It doesn't show that there's a limit or give any warning, but if you watch closely, it only accepts 15 characters. If you're more technical, you can bring up Chrome's Developer Tools and indeed see there is a 15 character limit.

On the Android app's interface (possibly iPhone too?), there is no limit on the password field. If like me, you thought you set a 16 or longer character password on the device, you actually set a 15 character password because that's all that the field will accept. Therefore, in the app you have to enter only the first 15 characters and it will work as that's really what the device has stored as your password. And no, the app doesn't warn you that you've typed a password longer than 15 characters either.

Ideally, the 15 character limit would be removed from the devices rather than adding the restriction to the app.

Thanks for reporting the issue to the engineering team.

Options
2021-04-23 01:58:18

@Transient 

Can we also have the detailed firmware version of the RE450 v2.0? What is the Tether app version you are using? Please ensure both are up-to-date.

Options
2021-04-23 05:49:57

@Kevin_Z They're both running the latest versions available.

Options