2.4ghz channel problem since updating to 1.3.0 firmware on Archer C6

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

2.4ghz channel problem since updating to 1.3.0 firmware on Archer C6

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
43 Reply
Re:2.4ghz channel problem since updating to 1.3.0 firmware on Archer C6
2020-05-08 07:18:58 - last edited 2020-05-08 07:20:32

@user91 

Hello!

I tried using TFTP to downgrade 1.3.0 to 1.2.1 (and even to an older version, the oldest one that I could download from TP-Link page), but it did not work. Even getting the flashing process to complete is a bit difficult (you have to force 100MBps connection and use a network switch between your PC and router to keep the connection alive, I just used an old WR840N router), but even if I got flashing to 100%, it just simply rebooted with version 1.3.0 like nothing happened.

So I am still on 1.3.0 waiting for new firmware to fix channel selection and the ability to turn off OneMesh (and hidden SSID broadcasting). I don't really experience any problems with 5GHz connection, but it really bothers me that I have to manually select 2.4GHz channel every time the router starts, because it defaults to channel 5/6 which is crowded while there are whole empty channels between 9-13. If it won't happen in the near future, I will definitely consider switching to OpenWRT (even though that also has issues as what I read in other forums).

Options
2020-05-08 08:10:52

@robi217 I have installed my old router, slow, but very stable.

And I have just installed OpenWRT to my Archer C6 to test. It is ok, and full of interesting features, but 5GHZ band is still in development, so I will wait for new versions, but keep using old router in the meanwhile.

Options
2020-05-08 08:41:04

Hello, 

Is it tricky to install and revert back to stock one? 

Options
2020-05-08 09:05:47

@Fane I did it 2 months ago, only to try (as the current firm from TPLink had problems too). As I had the old router, I took the risk. I tested OpenWRT about a week, saw it was good (but without stable 5GHZ, as mentioned in OpenWRT wiki), and then turned back to stock firm with the same method (TFTP), with no problems at all (took care of using a switch between PC and C6, as guide says). TPLINK says that since last year you can't revert firms (official or unofficial), but I took the risk and had no problems.

From tplink 1.2 to openwrt, from openwrt to tplink 1.2, then to 1.3, and now from 1.3 to openwrt again with no problems. If you are going to do it, be careful, take the guide exactly as openwrt page says. Some people has briked the C6 (although they explain a method for unbricking).

Hope Openwrt makes a new firm with better 5ghz support.

In the meanwile, my old router. No more problems. I need to work with a stable wifi. The C6 hardware I think is very good, but latests firms are so buggy... and don't undestand why EU, US, RU... have different versions with different features. In other brands yo select the country in firm and router takes care of regulations.

Regards.

Options
2020-05-08 13:46:34

@adios is there no way to go from openwrt to an earlier stock firmware?

Options
2020-05-08 14:04:42
They've sent me an BETA firmware which has fixed the channel issue, but the performance on 5ghz is now all over the place. The hidden ssids are gone on this firmware too.
Options
2020-05-08 15:12:52

Hello,

could you please share me that beta version on private message?

Thanks

Options
2020-05-08 15:25:31

@spies They say this is possible, but I couldn't. So I had to use TFTP method too.

Options
2020-05-08 15:28:13

@user91 It won't be 1.3.0 out of the box.

You can't downgrade the firmware via tftp, I don't know why but the although the file is sent successfully it just ignores it completely and boots up with the currently version.

The 5ghz issue appears to be down to a bug in channel 36, single band devices are BADLY effected, dual band not so much, the fix for me was to move to channel 48 and then set channel width to auto or 40mhz, band 36 is completely clear around me, whereas 48 is shared with two other routers, but the difference is a 10x increase in actual throughput even though the link speed on the single band devices is actually higher on channel 36.

I also think that they need to add an option to turn onemesh off in router mode, and just completely disable it in access point mode as it isn't even supported in that mode.

I've passed on my thoughts to the technician that is currently emailing me and expressed my displeasure that more thorough testing hasn't been done, the technician on my email thread was EASILY able to confirm the channel bug, so I'm guessing they didn't really test it at all.

Options
2020-05-08 15:29:33
1.3.0 to openwrt to 1.2.1 ?
Options