Deco needs able to change wifi channel

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco needs able to change wifi channel

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
33 Reply
Re:Deco needs able to change wifi channel
2021-12-05 15:33:30

In Deco lab there is a wifi interference tool, it says that the interference is high! So i need to change the wifi channel manualy to try if this helps because my phone keeps reconnecting the deco's.

Options
2021-12-05 15:55:31

@Til68 

Yes, overnight I get bad interference which slows downloads dramatically. It is pathetic that the Deco can neither choose a good channel nor allow the user to manually choose one.

Options
2022-01-01 20:05:05 - last edited 2022-01-01 21:44:12

@Hama it seems as though the developers of the firmware have no intention of allowing the end user to manually select the best available channel and we have to lump it... this is very disappointing and I have to say this will inform my future purchases and recommendations to friends and family to avoid TP-Link in the future for any power users or those who live in close proximity to others.

As an owner of multiple TP-Link devices from the Archer VR2800, a three-device M4R mesh network and TP-Link powerline network devices, I'll be selecting a different manufacturer in future which provides more end-user configuration options.

Options
2022-01-05 13:27:31

@TP-Link_Deco 

1 month ago I bought the deco X60 mesh system for my home. I have put 3 boxes on a total distance of 25 meter.

Somethimes it works normal as it should be but somethimes it becomes a real nightmare.

When looking @the Wifi channels in the neighborhood they are almost all on the same channel as my deco system.

I read in your message: 

- a mesh network should be "self-configuring" and "self-healing" ... but that's not the case.

- the current Deco firmware are not manually configurable as Deco automatically selects a 2.4GHz channel to use based on what it sees around it, selecting the channel that has the least interference ... It seems like the Deco system selects the channel the most used in the environment.

There are channels not even used so why does the Deco system doesn't select these?

It is not acceptable not to be able to change channels, unless the system does its job of selection well. 

When can we expect a solution for this blocking issue? I can't use this system like that. 

Options
2022-01-06 07:56:30

@YVdP 

Hi, The explanations here are what Deco should be and the future plan is to optimize its selection mechanism to make sure the system does its job of selection well, but no intention to support manually changing channels.

What @Lawrence said makes a point and the issue you have with Deco X60 might not be related to the channel yet.

But if you like to tell us what you have suffered from Deco when Deco becomes a real nightmare, I am sure we could help you find a suitable solution.

(If you send us an email, please leave me a private message for notification.)

Thank you very much.

Options
2022-01-06 08:24:17

TP-Link wrote

@YVdP 

Hi, The explanations here are what Deco should be and the future plan is to optimize its selection mechanism to make sure the system does its job of selection well, but no intention to support manually changing channels.

What @Lawrence said makes a point and the issue you have with Deco X60 might not be related to the channel yet.

But if you like to tell us what you have suffered from Deco when Deco becomes a real nightmare, I am sure we could help you find a suitable solution.

(If you send us an email, please leave me a private message for notification.)

Thank you very much.

@TP-Link 

That is a dumb plan. You could have manual selection working tomorrow. We have been waiting more than two years for an improved automatic channel selection mechanism and I doubt that we will ever see one.

Likewise it would take almost no time to allow a choice on channel width, but that isn't offered either. You are forced to use 40 MHz, when 20 MHz would probably give less interference.

Basically TP-Link is unresponsive to users and the only solution likely to work is to buy from another company.

Options
2022-01-06 14:13:47 - last edited 2022-01-07 13:44:17

@TP-Link_Deco 

Thanx for the answer, here is my explanation/substantiation:

I bought a Deco mesh wifi for a better wifi signal in my home. It is worse then before, the signal is not stable, multiple devices are losing the wifi connection.

Sometimes my tablet even don't reconnect automatically (i have to go to wifi settings en press connect on the deco SSID-name).

It is nice to have a full wifi pointer on my (mostly) android devices but if the connection drops multiple times a day, it is worthless.

In the deco lab, there is a interference tool, if i run that it gives high as an outcome on 5Ghz and recommends me to connect to another (non Deco?) network?

What kind of advice is this? What can i do to solve the problem?

Regards,

Wouter van Til

Options
2022-01-06 21:36:01

@TP-Link_Deco 

The solution for this issue is quite easy and straightforward. 

Give the end user the possibility to select :

- the "automatic" channel selection. The Deco will select the best channel he can find. (This feature needs however being improved because currently this does not work as it should be).

OR 

- the "manual" channel selection. In this case the enduser has the ability to change both channels (2.4 & 5 Ghz) the Deco system will use.

In case the enduser want's to start using the Deco immediatelly he selects the "automatic" option (default).

If the user want's to select another channel (for what reason however) he can do this by selecting the "manual" option.

In case TP-Link is not able to deliver this possibility I will have to look for another mesh system and I will my Deco X60 system back to the shop. 

Questions: 

- Will TP-link offer this solution to his customers?

- When will this option be available?

Options
2022-01-06 21:45:02 - last edited 2022-01-06 21:59:17

@TP-Link 

You say "the future plan is to optimize its selection mechanism to make sure the system does its job of selection well, but no intention to support manually changing channels."

When I read all the issues here the endusers are facing today even an improved "automatic" channel selection mechanism will not solve 100% of the problems mentioned here.(Doorbell, microwave, ...).

This automatic selection system can not take into account all parameters to select "the best" channel.

Another solution is that the end user has the possibility to restrict the channels the Deco system is allowed to use. So he can "black list" the bad channels.

You need always to have "a plan B" in case you have circumstances you can not solve on an automatic way.

When you have this the enduser can use your product under all circumstances.

Options
2022-01-07 10:25:40

YVdP wrote

@TP-Link 

You say "the future plan is to optimize its selection mechanism to make sure the system does its job of selection well, but no intention to support manually changing channels."

When I read all the issues here the endusers are facing today even an improved "automatic" channel selection mechanism will not solve 100% of the problems mentioned here.(Doorbell, microwave, ...).

This automatic selection system can not take into account all parameters to select "the best" channel.

Another solution is that the end user has the possibility to restrict the channels the Deco system is allowed to use. So he can "black list" the bad channels.

You need always to have "a plan B" in case you have circumstances you can not solve on an automatic way.

When you have this the enduser can use your product under all circumstances.

@TP-Link It is possible to set the channel, including DFS channels and I can specify the width auto/20/40/80MHz on my TPLink VR2800 so I suspect that the crippling of the firmware for Deco units is by design, rather than an inability to implement these features.

@YVdP being able to have the firmware run as "basic" for non-technical users - setup and forget seems reasonable. Allowing more technical users "advanced" to manually tweak the channel selection and width for the mesh seems appropriate and this is what TP-Link already do for their more advanced modem/routers as in the case of the VR2800.

So it can be done, it's a matter of whether the company is willing to do it to improve the utility of their product.

Options
Related Articles