Is there a hidden DHCP Server in Powerline adapters?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Is there a hidden DHCP Server in Powerline adapters?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
93 Reply
Re:Is there a hidden DHCP Server in Powerline adapters?
2021-01-18 20:23:55

@dunxd Diitto.   One star review posted.

Options
2021-01-19 06:16:52

@PVNigel 

Hi,

May I know the model number of your powerline adapter, TL-WPA4220v3/ V4 or TL-WPA7510 V2?

After updating the beta firmware, have you tried to set up the static IP address again on the adapters?

And could you please give us more details about what you meant that ‘The beta code only fixes the issue on power-up. The DHCP server still starts up of its own accord from time to time’?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-01-22 15:14:20
BTW - Is there any beta firmware (that disables DHCP server - possibly completely) for WPA-7517 (v1.0, EU)? It exhibits exactly the same annoying behavior, pinging my router for its DHCP server every couple of seconds, and in a case of loss of power to the router (or loss of powerline connectivity - which in my house happens from time to time) starts its own DHCP server. Obviously the best idea would be to put the option to disable internal DHCP in the GUI configuration, so the user can decide if he needs it or not. I guess it might require some deveopment work from TpLink, considering how the firmware is constructed (monolithic LanSettingsd daemon managing stuff...), but it should be done - for now TpLink powerline wifi extenders are creating more problems than they solve...
Options
2021-01-22 20:40:41

@TP-Link 

I'm using the TL-WPA4220 V4 with the beta firmware.  It's configured to use a static IP address.

Apologies I didn't keep a copy of the log file but what I observed after about two days of operation was the DHCP server briefly started and stopped.  There were no log entries to indicate that this associated with a power interruption or reset.

Overall stability is significantly better - maybe just needs further regression testing.

Options
2021-01-23 16:27:02

@TP-Link hi ,  I am using WPA4220KIT version 1 (UK) ,  Is there an update for it ? DHCP error also happens to me and I can hardly use it for system :(

Options
2021-01-23 18:57:50

@TP-Link just wanted to ask again - are there any plans to release beta firmware fixing DHCP server issue for WPA-7517 (v1.0, EU) ? Thanks!!!

Options
2021-01-24 06:12:42

@TP-Link as well as for AV1200 Gigabit Passthrough Powerline ac Wi-Fi Kit - WPA8630P

Gawron wrote

@TP-Link just wanted to ask again - are there any plans to release beta firmware fixing DHCP server issue for WPA-7517 (v1.0, EU) ? Thanks!!!

Options
2021-02-11 15:23:47

@dunxd Hi, i have a same random dropout issue for every 10 mins or so. It's really annoying. I have TL-PA4020P Kit Powerline adapters. What can I do to solve this issue? There is no enable/disable option for DHCP on Tp-link utility software. 

Options
2021-02-11 18:18:24

@Batuhan3091 

I have it on the 8630p kit. It took me a while to discover why the network was for ever stopping etc, but this is it. At first I thought it was faulty DHCP in my MR600 router, but not so.

I don't think there's anything you can do that properly fixes it, as tp link have sat on this issue for years.

Throw it all in the bin maybe?

I tried smart plugs on all devices, with a power off every night (router and 3 powerline products), with the power coming on the the router first then the plugs later. But it still gets lags in the day, with Win10 machines reporting conflicting IP addresses etc.

It's very very poor, and I wonder how many people just think these devices are a bit crap, but have no idea why.

Options
2021-02-11 20:38:38

@Batuhan3091 Until TP-Link fix their software, and issue an update for all affected devices, there is nothing you can do apart from tolerate it...

Options