Router restarts itself when starting VPN connection through it.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Router restarts itself when starting VPN connection through it.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
20 Reply
Re:Router restarts itself when starting VPN connection through it.
2022-02-10 09:29:45

Vankatapp wrote

@Kevin_Z Is the problem fixed in firmware 2.0.5 Build 20220114 Rel. 55007?

@Vankatapp I guess not. You can check the Release Note which mentions "Fixed a NetUSB-protocol vulnerability." only.

Options
2022-03-29 16:22:10

I've faced with the same issue: router restarts when I turn on VPN on my mac

Archer C2300 v2.0

Firmware 1.1.1 Build 20200918 rel.67850(4555)

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)

Options
2022-03-30 08:11:57

mfvanek wrote

I've faced with the same issue: router restarts when I turn on VPN on my mac

Archer C2300 v2.0

Firmware 1.1.1 Build 20200918 rel.67850(4555)

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)

@mfvanek 

Can I have the detailed network layout also? Who is your ISP? Is the MacBook Pro connected to the 5G network of the C2300?

What kind of VPN server you're trying to connect to on the MacBook Pro? If it does not connect the VPN server, will the router work fine?

Options
2022-03-30 18:39:14

@Kevin_Z 

Without VPN router works fine.

I've tested VPN with 2,4 and 5 GHz - router restarts in both cases.

My ISP is PJSC Vimpelcom.
I've tried to connect to corporate VPN.
With another router it works fine (AC1750 - Archer C7)

Options
2022-03-30 23:06:05
It's a bug in the firmware of the C2300, nothing to do with your network layout, ISP etc. If you use a different VPN client to connect everything works fine. (Pritunl in my case) There is no way any router should crash due to simply trying to connect to a VPN. If TP-Link were super interested in figuring this out then we'd get a debug firmware to capture the OS kernel crash, memory heaps etc. Equally in fairness to TP-Link this is likely to be a minor impact bug with users finding workarounds.
Options
2022-03-31 05:50:31

@Wandering_Dazed  @mfvanek 

Thank you both for the additional details. We would like to escalate your case to our engineers, and they will help follow it up, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox and respond.

Options
2022-04-01 18:20:13
Thanks Kevin, I have responded to the Support Engineers. Fingers crossed!
Options
2022-04-02 06:35:13

Wandering_Dazed wrote

Thanks Kevin, I have responded to the Support Engineers. Fingers crossed!

@Wandering_Dazed 

Great. I hope you can update here also if there is any suggestions or solutions provided by the engineer. I will also keep an eye on the issue you report and update here also if I have any advanced information or solution.

Options
2022-04-04 19:18:52 - last edited 2022-04-04 19:19:42

@Kevin_Z  FYI I am continuing to discuss the issue with TP-Link support. However the discussion and troubleshooting asks reminded me that I opened a ticket with your support team 2 years ago and I believe that I found the root cause of the issue (at least in my case) back then but did not get a response from TP-Link support.

Here were my findings and response to the TP-Link support team back in July 2020 (I had simply forgotten about this and moved to the OpenVPN client):

"I changed the SSID of my 5ghz networks to all lowercase and the vpn stayed connected for 5+ minutes...as soon as I changed the SSID to one uppercase character even with the vpn connected the router crashed and rebooted within 60 seconds.

I realise this is an edge use case but equally I do believe this is bug in the TPLink firmware which needs investigating as it obviously causes a crash condition (presumably a CPU/Mem race). I can easily change my WIFI SSID's to lowercase which is a workaround but still this does not reassure me around the stability of your product even as a SMB consumer."

Naturally it would be interesting if other contributors to this thread have uppercase characters in their SSID's along with if changing them to lower caps stops the issue. If it helps my uppercase character was a "W' in the SSID name. 

Options
2022-04-06 02:43:11

@Wandering_Dazed 

Thank you very much for sharing what you've worked out in your case, I will also report this to the support engineers and ask them to test. You can also keep discussing the issue with them via email, they are now back in the office from weekends.

Options
Related Articles